Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyundai I30 biodiesel policy

Hi all.

I have just purchased a Hyundai I30 diesel in Sydney (June 2008). For the benefit of others wondering about Hyundai's policy on biodiesel the following is exactly from the I30 manual. Please note that this manual is not exclusive to Australia. I hope it helps potential purchasers make decisions about Hyundais, but it is not published here to create debate.

Diesel engine
    A020201 AUN-EA
    Diesel engine must be operated only on commercially available diesel fuel that complies with EN 590 or comparable standard. (EN stands for "European Norm"). Do not use marine diesel fuel, heating oils, or non-approved fuel additives, as this will increase wear and cause damage to the engine and fuel system. The use of non-approved fuels and/or fuel additives will result in a limitation of your warranty rights.
    Diesel fuel of 52 to 54 cetane is used in your vehicle. If two types of diesel fuel are available, use summer or winter fuel properly according to the following temperature conditions.
    Above -5 deg C (23 deg F) Summer type diesel fuel
    Below -5 deg C (23 deg F) Winter type diesel fuel

Watch the fuel level in the tank very carefully: if the engine stops through fuel failure, the circuits must be completely purged to permit restarting.

Biodiesel
    Commercially supplied biodiesel blends of no more than 5% biodiesel, commonly known as "B5 biodiesel" may be used in your vehicle if it meets EN 14214 or equivalent specifications. (EN stands for "European Norm"). The use of biofuels made from rapeseed methyl ester (RME), fatty acid methyl ester (FAME), vegetable oil methyl ester (VME) etc or mixing diesel with biodiesel will cause increased wear or damage to the engine and fuel system. Repair or replacement of worn or damaged components due to the use of non approved fuels will not be covered by the manufactures (sic) warranty.

Caution
    Never use any fuel, whether diesel or B5 biodiesel that fails to meet the latest petroleum industry specification.
    Never use any fuel additives or treatments that are not recommended or approved by the vehicle manufacturer.

Re: Hyundai I30 biodiesel policy

Hello Mark

Thank you for the information.
    If they require a fuel with a cetane of 52- 54 I suspect that you will always be using a "Non approved Fuel" here in Australia if you fill up at the pump

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
      Hello Mark

Thank you for the information.
      If they require a fuel with a cetane of 52- 54 I suspect that you will always be using a "Non approved Fuel" here in Australia if you fill up at the pump
      I think your right tilly.
      I believe BP has the highest centane rating which I'm told is 50.
      Although W.A may have higher with the ultimate diesel they are trialling at present.

Comment

Thanks for the post.

I have also purchased an i30 which will be arriving in the next week.

I think you'll find manufacturers of particularly the newer diesel passenger cars (mazda, ford, hyundai, fiat) all take the same view on biodiesel. You can all speculate on why this is the case - maybe manufacturers are of the opinion that biodiesel standards and quality is not as consistent or as strictly monitored as commercial diesel. ??? dunno

I have a work college that has been running her brand new Fiat Punto on home made bio and it has missed a beat in 14 months.

I intend on running my new i30 on B50.

Another member on this forum has done 5,000km on bio in his i30. I'm sure we will both keep you updated on how its all going.

Comment

I have a work college that has been running her brand new Fiat Punto on home made bio and it has missed a beat in 14 months.

Sorry ...that SHOULD read

... hasn't missed a beat in 14 months.

She's only been to the servo 3 times this year.

Means she can buy more shoes to go with the other shoes she never wears.

Comment

Hello Dave
            Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
            or if you don't want the warranty you should sign the "no warranty" form the dealers have when you buy the car from the dealer .
            I have never heard of this form and no dealer has ever mentioned it when I have bought a new car.
            Is it the same form for every car Manufacturer.
            Do you think If I offered to sign one I could get a better price on a new car?

Tilly

Comment

You need to make sure you only ever use B5 from a supplier with fuel that meets the standards otherwise you would be voiding your warranty or being unethical and dishonest or if you don't want the warranty you should sign the "no warranty" form the dealers have when you buy the car from the dealer or send them a letter saying you are canceling the warranty because if you don't that wouldn't be right to do something they say not to then claim a warranty you are not entitled to. other than that make sure you check every time that any commercial bio you use is not more than B5 which is why limiting all teh fuel sold in servos is a good idea sew people don't use too much and void their warranty and of course you couldn't use home made biodiesel unless you have it tested to meet the rules and blend it with good Diesel at 5%.
              So if the current diesel availble in Australia doesnt comply with the requirements of the car is any warranty claim unethical?

blend it with good Diesel at 5%.
              I thought biodiesel was the good diesel.....
              cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

You need to make sure you only ever use B5 from a supplier with fuel that meets the standards otherwise you would be voiding your warranty or being unethical and dishonest or if you don't want the warranty you should sign the "no warranty" form the dealers have when you buy the car from the dealer or send them a letter saying you are canceling the warranty because if you don't that wouldn't be right to do something they say not to then claim a warranty you are not entitled to.
                It seems to me it'd be silly to cancel the entire warranty because someone wants to use a non-approved fuel in his vehicle. Certainly, the dealer won't refuse to repair non-fuel system malfunctions. Nor would it be unethical or dishonest to take the vehicle in for warranty repairs to non-fuel systems...

Justin

Comment

I have an email from high up at BMW stating that they'll not honour the warranty on fuel related components only (should I use B100).

So if anything else plays up (brakes, etc), I'm covered. Even if you don't have such a letter I would find it hard for them to justify not honouring a warranty on a non-fuel related issue.

Regards,

Paul
                  Two BMW 120d (April 2007 & June 2008)
                  Both running B100 (from WVO) since new
                  26,000km & 27,000km @ 3/4/09 and going strong! :)
                  web.mac.com/nitramluap/Biodiesel

Comment

Originally posted by nitramluap View Post
                    I have an email from high up at BMW stating that they'll not honour the warranty on fuel related components only (should I use B100).

So if anything else plays up (brakes, etc), I'm covered. Even if you don't have such a letter I would find it hard for them to justify not honouring a warranty on a non-fuel related issue.

Regards,

Paul
                    Guys, stop getting your knackers in a knot. All vehicle warranties will exclude fuel related repairs if the stealership can prove the fuel was bad, dinojuice or otherwise - doesn.t matter. Any non fuel related repair will be covered - thus if you blow a radiator, develop a leak in the power steering, electrical failure, radio stops working - you will be covered.

David Jones - ASTM standard biodiesel is a better fuel than dino diesel. If I have a fuel system related failure whilst using biodiesel, I would be comfortable in not telling the stealership I was using biodiesel. My conscience would be totally clear because I know the fault is an equipment failure not related to the use of biodiesel. That failure would have happened had I been using dino juice.
                    Slippery
                    Small steps taken one at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Slippery View Post
                      ASTM standard biodiesel is a better fuel than dino diesel. If I have a fuel system related failure whilst using biodiesel, I would be comfortable in not telling the stealership I was using biodiesel. My conscience would be totally clear because I know the fault is an equipment failure not related to the use of biodiesel. That failure would have happened had I been using dino juice.
                      I couldn't agree more.

I have an i30 and for the last 5 months and just over 4.5k km's or so I have been using BD I have made and 27/3 tested, washed and now filter to 1 micron.
                      The car is great and it has not missed a beat.
                      I changed the oil at about 2.5k km's and intent to do so every 5k km's and then send it back for an annual service at hyundai.

Cheers
                      George

Comment

Originally posted by Slippery View Post
                        Guys, stop getting your knackers in a knot. All vehicle warranties will exclude fuel related repairs if the stealership can prove the fuel was bad, dinojuice or otherwise - doesn.t matter. Any non fuel related repair will be covered - thus if you blow a radiator, develop a leak in the power steering, electrical failure, radio stops working - you will be covered.
                        Yes, I should have pointed out that I knew this already... but they'll still try to wiggle out of anything and I'm not going to hide the fact that I'm running B100 just so that I can avoid an argument!

The truth is, as you say, that all they have to do is blame the fuel (whatever it is) and the burden of proof is on the owner to prove that the fuel was OK - which of course is impossible.

Regards,

Paul
                        Two BMW 120d (April 2007 & June 2008)
                        Both running B100 (from WVO) since new
                        26,000km & 27,000km @ 3/4/09 and going strong! :)
                        web.mac.com/nitramluap/Biodiesel

Comment

A warrantee is to protect customers from unforseen defects not to have them decide what they can do against what they are told and then have the car company fix it when it stuffs up.
                          That is true. If you were to put straignt veggie oil in the car, it would damage the car and be a problem, which the dealership should not fix. It would be obvious that that is what has happened though.

However if the car has a problem due to a manufacturing defect, and the car has run on biodiesel, should the manufacturer fix it, and will they fix it if they can say its biodiesels fault?

I know the answer at nissian There is a car they claim has been damaged due to running on B50, therefore no warranty. The owner has said, no worries, I will pay for it to be fixed. It sounds reasonable up to here. Nissan cant fix the problem. How can a technician say they know what has caused the problem, if they dont know what the problem is???

I would take it in, and say its been running on diesel. If they are adamant its had biodiesel because (insert fault here common to biodiesel) and they want to know what servo the fuel has come from, then offer to pay for repairs. If they say the fault is due to biodiesel, and they are not willing to make repairs, and dont know the problem, then its a different story.

I do know of another manufacturer whos policy is to question heavily about biofuel use if ANY engine related warranty claim is made. After all warranty work is not profitable, and thats why car companies operate.
                          cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

What it comes down to is that anything they think they can blame on fuel, they will. Either Bio or contaminated distillate, or even ULSD. It is up to the owner to prove that the fuel was OK and the problem was a manuf' fault.
                            Basically you can say that there is no warranty for fuel related problems so saying 'no warranty on fuel system if Bio is used' is meaningless. There is no warranty on fuel system if distillate is used either.

Comment

Working...
                            X