Problem with Pug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Pug

I have a problem with my Peugeot 406 that is probably BD induced.

I had been running it for a couple of months on B100 and it was running fine. Then I had to put it into my mechanic for a new radiator and a new AC compressor. Because I told him I was in no hurry, and he was having difficulty sourcing an AC compressor anyway, it was sitting there for about 4 months.

Now that I finally got it back (still sans AC compressor) the poor thing hardly runs. It starts ok and runs fine up until about 2500RPM and then it just starts running rough and blowing smoke out the back, which it never did before.

Any ideas what the problem may be? I have mostly run BD on Toyos, Mitsis and Mercs, so pugs are a bit of a mystery to me. The obvious thing to me is that the injectors are gummed up somehow, and they aren't atomising the fuel properly, hence the power loss and smoke.

Any ideas? Also, if this was the problem, how easy a fix would it be?

TIA

Re: Problem with Pug

The 406 had a few different engines is it the 2.1 with the lucas pump, or the 2.0 HDI or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by smithw View Post
      The 406 had a few different engines is it the 2.1 with the lucas pump, or the 2.0 HDI or something else?
      It's the HDI. The bloke that I sold it to, who apparently knew a lot about them, said the turbo was gone. Makes sense - it ran fine up until the tuurbo came on boost and that's when the problems started. Anyhow it's an SEP now, particularly the cost of parts if he needs them - a full set of injectors for one of these things starts at $1800, whereas a full set for a 1HZ (which of course is 6 not 4) is only around $500. I'll never say Toyota parts are expensive again

Comment

I would think it would be more likely that the in tank fuel pump is running low pressure..

Comment

Pug HDI and B100, look out. The high pressure pump will be letting go, it has rubber seals and in the 307 at least the fuel filter sealant was going, rubber bleed lines on injectors. At least the in tank pump survived. Not sure if the 406 is much different? It preceeded the 307 by a few years only.

The Lucas pump is another issue, I had one on a 306 but swapped it out when it played up.
          Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Ive got a 406, but with a lucas pump, it started pissing fuel out everywhere and I thought the pump had let go, turned out to be a small return line attached to the pump near the number 1 injector. Ive run it for about a year on B100 and 10,000km so far so good. Ive been doing a major service on it, cam belt, water pump etc quite a bit better to work on than the 405, as it has more space around the front of the engine.

Comment

Good to hear, keep an eye on it, which I am sure you will. my experience was slightly different.
              Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

Just done the service on the pug, and replaced the cam belt, crank oil seal, water pump, tensioners and the front injector pump seal with a viton seal. The injector pump seal had only just started to leak you could seal the bio around the shaft starting to weep out. . Just noticed something this morning, Often the pug would miss fire when first started from cold kind of like a dead glow plug, Today no miss fire. Its possible that injector pump seal has been letting in a bit of air into the system, as the engine runs quieter, and seem to have a bit more go.

Comment

It is rewarding when you discover something that needs fixing and fix it without expecting any immediate benefit and consequently a minor issue disappears.
                  Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                  '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                  '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                  '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                  '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                  '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                  '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                  '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                  '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                  '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                  '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                  '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                  '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                  Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Congratulations on catching that, a big issue coming your way soon otherwise.

I know this from 2 run-aways now, both caused by failed front seals.

out of interest, how was your oil when you dropped it? thin? was there more than you expected?

The mazdarati ute went with no warning at all. I watch my oil like a crazy bloke as I learnt from the first time. the seal just went 'poof'. I checked my oil that morning before going to work (40 mins in traffic) and by half way home that afternoon it had filled the engine block up with fuel and into the tappet cover.

dodged a bullet mate, well done.

Comment

Injector pump, OK this makes sense, yes the front haft seal is something to look for, make sure its gets a synthetic replacement as this can cause the timing belt to become slippery, bye bye motor. Well done,. Time to replace all seals if they are not either nitrile or synthetic. If they use rubber seals be prepared for this again, I know of it happenig to a fellow bio iser.

Matt
                      Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

Captain, on a engine with a belt there is no way for the fuel to get into the oil, but it can get on the belt and break it. so the oil was fine.

Comment

Matt I dont know if your post has a typo but you need to replace the seals with Viton not Nitrile.

Comment

As far as I know viton is not available, there are synthetic ones which seem good. Happy to be corrected. Nitrile rubber seems to withstand it quite well so I have observed.
                            Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

Petroleum products attack natural rubber so seals that might come into contact with fuel will never be made from natural rubber- neither will fuel lines.

Nitrile comes in different formulations. Some formulations stand up to biodiesel, some do not. It is the luck of the draw as to whether the nitrile seal you use is made using a formulation that is impervious to biodiesel or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X