Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

Originally posted by 83Patrol View Post
    I was going to suggest this at the start of the thread, but assumed that it would have been the first thing that was checked in the process of elimination...

Again, I assumed that the pump would have been wired up in such a way to only be on when it's needed by the veg oil solenoid or whatever switching system you have set up, or that you would at least manually turn the pump off when wanted to turn the engine off.

But I also wonder why you would want to shut the engine down whilst running on veg oil (which implies that you're not purging) given the design of your engine. You're running WVO / SVO / veg oil, not processed biodiesel, which generally requires minimal (or nil) modifications to a direct injection vehicle and driving pactices. Which brings us to:

Flushed at night only, as in once a day? The 1HD-T is a direct injection (DI) engine, and I'm pretty sure it uses a VE / rotary injection pump (IP). TimHJ61 and others have written about the perils of failing to diligently purge (flush) a direct injection engine with diesel after each run. Even an inderect injection (IDI) using a VE / dotray pump is a risky proposition a if you're not purging I after each run. It's pretty basic common knowledge, to be honest.

I know that Dave Jones would be proud of you for choosing to stick your middle finger up to the popular and long-held ideas surrounding veg oil myths and dogma, but maybe one should humble up and go back to basics, and read the FAQ/sticky on this very site regarding Direct Injection fuel systems.

No offence intended. I am pretty sure that you don't take things personally anyway, otherwise I wouldn't be so direct. It's just that to me, you often seem to run people and their opinions down as stupid or inferior, yet you fail to miss the obvious, very basic things... such as all of the above, even though you have been on this forum in different guides for at least 6 years (that I know of) and come across on you posts and on your website as something of an expert in this field.

Given your qualifications and confidence in your writings, I'd hate for a newbie to copy what you're doing and kill their $20,000-plus Toyota 1HD-T powered Land Cruiser. Personally, I reckon that that's what you'll soon do with yours. My opinion only though, and I am often wrong!

Note: I run my old Merc engine on basically straight WVO, sometimes with minimal blending. Everything is stock standard - only 1 tank, 1 standard fuel filter (plus the factory inline mesh filter) and no fuel heating at all. Not having a second fuel tank or associated bits, I don't (can't) purge with diesel when I turn the car off.

So maybe I'm a hypocrite in this regard... But like your old Merc, it uses an indirect (IDI) as opposed to direct injection (DI) fuel system, and uses an antique-style inline injection pump with attached factory mechanical (cam driven) lift pump. Engine seems fine still, (if a bit gutless - it had done over 300,000 km when I bought it and was gutless then) and I'm not expecting it to last, to be honest. I got the car very cheap. I would definitely NOT be doing this with a DI vehicle, nor one with a VE / rotary style injection pump - especially on such an expensive vehicle!
    I just remembered why I don't visit this forum much anymore

Comment

Hi Mark
      I had one of these 1HDTs and found a problem once affecting power which turned out to be a problem with fuel line clamps on the send line after the heat exchanges going loose sucking air and found I had to upgrade the type of clamp I used.

Comment

I abandoned this SVO project a while back and have gone back to bio, but my car still has some issues, and I'm not sure what the problem is. Main reason I abandoned it was that the IP wouldn't shut off when running on SVO. Switch back to dino and it was fine. But now it won't shut off on dino either. But of more concern is an intermittent blowby issue. It first started doing it when running on SVO, but when I switched back to dino it stopped. Cabin was filling with smoke coming out of the braether tube that goes into the rocker cover.

Now I've abandoned the SVO completely, but the blowby is still there, although it seems to be improving. It only ever happened at higher speeds - around 100kmh. The aother day I took it out on the freeway and it took about 10kn before it started. When I backed off to 80kmh it stopped and it hasn't done it since.

Question is, what is it. I found someone on here that said that they got glazing in the cylinders from SVO, but this doesn't appear to fit the symptoms (loss of power, overheating). I know the IP is knackered (as it won't shut off), so could that be doing it?

What's got me puzzled is the way it just starts and then stops. In any case, as I say, it seems to be improving slowly. Any ideas?

Comment

If you have blowby, then it is very likely that you have gummed your rings and they are wearing the bores of every cylinder.
          The diagnosis should be based on a compression test - to determine if you have low compression, and a leak back test to determine if it is caused by leaks from valves, or that the rings have worn the cylinders excessively.
          Tim wrote a couple of pages on a friend of ours who lent his car to family members who failed to purge the fuel system and over a few weeks, the damage was done.
          Looks like you need to spend some $$$ on the engine.
          The Shutdown issue will be either an electrical issue in the ignition circuit or the IP needs to be cleaned and/or the shut down solenoid in it replaced.
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
            The Shutdown issue will be either an electrical issue in the ignition circuit or the IP needs to be cleaned and/or the shut down solenoid in it replaced.
            or the rubber o-ring on the shutoff valve / plunger is disintegrating.

Comment

Hi 83patrol,

Originally posted by 83Patrol View Post
              Given your qualifications and confidence in your writings, I'd hate for a newbie to copy what you're doing and kill their $20,000-plus Toyota 1HD-T powered Land Cruiser. Personally, I reckon that that's what you'll soon do with yours. My opinion only though, and I am often wrong!
              So far you are one for one. What is the make and model number of your crystal ball- I want one too!

Comment

My 1hdt has been running excellently, early this week got back from a round trip to Nth NSW and it performed flawlessly over the 4000+klms. Don't care what anyone says, with these engines you need inline filters, push pumps, return line removed and a good purge of at least 12klms, I purge for 12klms with the 12ht and 20klms for the 1hdt. Always run 1lt AFT/2 stroke through my engines when changing the oil and have found it does improve the performance enough to notice.

Have to laugh at you Mark, you take no notice of anyone, think you know everything and seem to have stuffed your engine with that approach. You could try running the engine on pure ATF or 2 stroke for about 5lt, then run on dino with 50% atf for 50klms fast. Know someone who failed to purge their 1hdt and it sat for a couple of days, then had trouble starting and wouldn't run properly. After doing that it ran properly and don't think he has had any more problems, but you have blow by and that is a more serious matter, which can end in engine runaway disaster.

Comment

You have to laugh at me do you? Thanks. That's what I like about this site - everyone is so nice and encouraging and pleasant all the time.

What is ATF?

Also, it appears we're all guessing here. The blowby is not constant, only occurs above certain speeds, and then only after driving for a while. and it seems to be diminishing.

The symptoms aren't like anything I can find on the web, and doesn't match with any symptoms I can find for cylinder glazing. Does anyone know who the bloke was that had this glazing issue?

Comment

Hi Mark,

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    You have to laugh at me do you? Thanks. That's what I like about this site - everyone is so nice and encouraging and pleasant all the time.
                    [quote]Posted by MARK
                    "As you have no formal training in chemistry, I probably should not be surprised that you don't understand this...Luckily for you I am a Chemist, unlike anyone else on this forum...The concepts involved in biodiesel manufacture are concepts that would be taught at 3rd year level as part of a chemistry degree. If you don't have such an education, why on earth do you think you understand it?...
                    'll try to spell it out for you in words that you will understand ...I don't have time to read every post and answer every question asked. Most of you aren't chemists, so I'm wasting my time anyway, and don't have time to give free online chemistry tutorials...Refresh my memory - how many degrees in chemistry do you have?...<Derogatory comments removed by moderator. > Please reread my original post and follow is step by careful step. If somehow you are still unable to get it to work, I suggest you go back to the Dr Pepper method... ...I posted it to help out fellow biofuelers with a far superior method to the current one. Use it if you wish, but if you'd prefer the Dr Pepper method, please be assured that I don't give a rodent's rump. Given the audience my radio show is now getting, and the traffic it is generating, I no longer have time for this forum... Unfortunately, however, he doesn't realise this, as ignorance does not diagnose itself...his understanding of chemistry on the back of a postage stamp, ...and he can't handle it when people that know (a lot) more than him about chemical manufacture disagree with him.... you've got no hope of understanding the finer points of a transesterification reaction...But I am sure I am not alone in getting rather fed up with your childish babbling whenever anyone (usually someone that understands chemistry) disagrees with you. Why don't you grow up?...both of us could just do our own thing and let all you non-chemists wallow in your problems...You are right. He's not a chemist and a substantial amount of what he says is wrong. I stopped reading his posts years ago...If you knew any chemistry at all, you'd understand that the whole point of my method is that the vast excess of base swamps any residual FFA acidity...but have had your toes trodden on because someone that knows far more than you do about chemistry has developed a better method than yours"

tillyfromparadise
                    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 15 August 2018, 03:26 PM.

Comment

After I sent my last post the the only acronym I could come up with for ATF was Automatic Transmission Fluid. Surely not...

Comment

That’ll be it.

Comment

Ok what's the rationale, which I guess is the same thing as saying what's in it that assists the engine cleaning process? Also I see that there are different brands and grades...

Comment

I heard of running the engine on ATF, never tried it but would like to know more, surely it must smoke like a steam train.

Comment

Originally posted by smithw View Post
                              I heard of running the engine on ATF, never tried it but would like to know more, surely it must smoke like a steam train.
                              Why?
                              By the same assumptions, you would expect used cooking oil to smoke badly, but no:
                              If the ATF/Used cooking oil is injected into the combustion chamber (or prechamber) through an injector that atomises the fuel correctly, there is no reason it should smoke. It is approximately the right amount of fuel, injected at the correct time into a combustion chamber where it ignites and burns completely.
                              No smoke is produced unless the combustion chamber(or prechamber) is too cold for combustion to burn the oil completely (white smoke) or the IP fuel has been would up to give more power, as indicated by black smoke on acceleration.

There are times where ATF caused engines to smoke. Mainly when the ATF is drawn into the engine intake and it then is an unregulated source of fuel, entering the combustion chamber during the intake stroke. The IP injects the correct amount of fuel for the engine speed and load. The ATF is excess fuel which is not burnt correctly (lack of atomisation) and is sent to the exhaust system smoking.
                              Tony From West Oz
                              Vice Chairperson of WARFA
                              Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 16 August 2018, 10:35 PM. Reason: Added more.
                              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Well, fair enough, but I'm having difficulty seeing why I should run it in my engine. I found one bloke on Google that apparently runs his powerstroke on used ATF (90%). Apparently it doesn't burn as well as diesel. I've been unable to find any information on it in terms of its chemical composition, other than that it contains surfactants, which concievably help with internal cleaning.
                                But for now I'll just run my car on dino. Up until at least 80kmh it runs fine. Presumably whatever is causing the issue will burn off, if it hasn't already done so.
                                But right now it's in for an IP rebuild as the SVO has rooted the shutoff solenoid. Seriously, I dunno why you guys mess around with SVO. All the buggerising around with heat exchangers and flushing of fuel lines and so on. Bio is a whole lot easier. If I'd have taken the time to read up a bit more before I had a crack at it I wouldn'y have bothered

Comment

Working...
                                X