Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quite surprising

Hi All,

whats going on? not a single post in 22 days??

Is this thing still working?

Re: Quite surprising

Shhhh - don't wake them up, they must all be sleeping.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Has been real quiet hasn't it? I'll start a new thread in the Blending Forum, see if anyone else is awake.
      Johnnojack
      4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
      Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

The lack of traffic is no doubt because this forum is a pretty unfriendly place. Personally, if there's information I require I always try to find it elsewhere first, and only come here as a last resort

Comment

yeah, I saw that it puts me off too.

Comment

The lack of traffic on biodiesel forums in general probably has a lot to do with the fact no one much makes or uses biodiesel any more.
            As a member of both this forum and the infopop forum which has historically been a much busier and more popular forum than this forum, in the last year or so our forum has become more active than the infopop biodiesel forum.

I do not think the fact that we have an unpleasant fellow on the forum who keeps telling everyone how intelligent he is because of his PhD in Chemistry really has anything to do with the decline in participation on the forum.

Biodiesel: The great crash of Australia's 'fish and chip cooking oil' renewable fuel industry
            http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-28/why-australia-cooking-oil-biodiesel-market-crashed/8121100

Biofuels falling off a cliff according to report
            https://www.fullyloaded.com.au/industry-news/1705/biofuels-falling-off-a-cliff-according-to-report

tillyfromparadise
            Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 15 August 2018, 07:46 PM.

Comment

There is a member of this forum that sometimes posts in what I can only describe is a very demeaning, belittling and impolite tone.

On a personal note I will stand up to anyone and hold my ground, however some other members do not like this confrontational way of posting and as a result they just don't post.

I know this for a FACT simply because of the number of private communications I have recieved about this situation.

The sooner this member is told to just calm himself down and show a little more respect to others the healthier this forum would be.

Comment

Hi smithy,

Originally posted by smithy View Post
                There is a member of this forum that sometimes posts in what I can only describe is a very demeaning, belittling and impolite tone.

On a personal note I will stand up to anyone and hold my ground, however some other members do not like this confrontational way of posting and as a result they just don't post.

I know this for a FACT simply because of the number of private communications I have recieved about this situation.

The sooner this member is told to just calm himself down and show a little more respect to others the healthier this forum would be.
                Yes, I too am getting lots of private communications about this fellow.
                You and I need to stand up to this fellow shoulder to shoulder and calm him down!

Comment

Originally posted by smithy View Post

Yep, and we all know who you're referring to, don't we? Feels as though he has to comment on absolutely everything, and takes it personally if anyone disagrees with him. Dunno what his problem is (I do actually) but I gave up reading his posts years ago.

Comment

oh not this again... :-(

Comment

Tilly and Smithy standing shoulder to shoulder keeping the forum calm

tillyfromparadise
                      Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 17 August 2018, 03:18 PM.

Comment

So which one of you is wearing the funny hat?
                        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

He is someone who has been calmed down,
                          It used to be a tall pointy hat.

Comment

Hi everyone,

A very similar discussion to this has been taking place on the infopop biodiesel forum where, if anything, their posting rate is even lower than ours.

I posted the following information yesterday to the infopop forum:

"I can think of several more reasons why people have stopped posting on this forum, but the fact that for the last 10 years automobile manufacturers have been warning that their new diesel cars are not compatible with biodiesel along with the fact the price of diesel fuel in the USA has dropped significantly are the two major reasons people stopped posting.

As the below graph shows, the price of diesel fuel in the USA was cut in half between 2014 and 2016 when the cost of a gallon of #2 Highway diesel fuel crashed from around $4.00 a gallon to around $2.00 a gallon, about 53 cents US a litre which would be around 40 Pence a litre in the UK.
                            I imagine there would be a whole lot of people in the UK who would suddenly find many reasons to stop making biodiesel if on the road diesel cost 40p a litre.

With that type of huge reduction in price, many people in the USA suddenly discovered they could save the world in other ways besides making and using biodiesel

If you are no longer making and using biodiesel there is not much incentive to continue discussing the finer points of it's production with other people- there is also very little incentive to start making and using biodiesel
                            You will notice the same thing has happened on the SVO forum and, I am sure, for much the same reason."

I did a bit more research and this morning I posted this further information to the Infopop biodiesel forum:

"I became interested in when the decline in biodiesel use did start and what the major reason for the decline likely was.
                            As some of you older biodiesel users might remember, there was a very popular Yahoo biodiesel discussion forum and it no longer is operating. So I had a look at the numbers on the yahoo forum and the big decline in participation on the Yahoo Biodiesel forum started in 2009.
                            1n 2008, posts to the yahoo biodiesel forum totaled 2715. The following year in 2009 participation on the forum had crashed to only 905 posts.
                            The yahoo forum then struggled on for several years with a much reduced participation number until the forum virtually died in 2013 with a total of only 51 posts for the entire year. There were 39 posts in 2014, 2 posts in 2015 and 17 posts in 2016.

The yahoo Biodiesel forum was then "Mothballed" and made a private forum with the owner explaining:
                            "This group is essentially defunct. California introduced strict new diesel rules, and in 2006 diesel cars were modified in a way that causes problems with Biodiesel. Since then, BD has seen a steep decline, which has been reflected in this group's traffic. From a peak of over 800 messages in one month in 2005, we've seen 8 messages in the past 6 months, most of which were spam."

As you can see, the price of diesel did not start to decline until 2014, over a year after the Yahoo biodiesel forum had virtually ceased to function from a lack of participation.

This strongly suggests that the owner of the Yahoo forum was correct and the main reason for the decline in backyard biodiesel production is mostly because diesel engines changed to direct injection with the warnings against using biodiesel from the engine manufacturers"

tillyfromparadise
                            Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 27 September 2018, 10:32 AM.

Comment

I also think that because of social media, gaming, and phones people don't go out to the shed so much. I see it in education, I teach engineering and build go-karts with kids. 10 years ago kids would do anything to have a drive on a kart, Now they are happy to just play with thier phones, as they dont want to get there hands dirty. You can see it also in the amount of race tracks that have closed in the states, shopping malls, playgrounds and skate parks dont have as many vistors and many have closed.
                              Dam phone zombies!

Comment

Working...
                              X