What is Your Computer Download Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is Your Computer Download Speed

I was looking at the Telstra mobile map and noticed that they provide nearly continuous mobile coverage across the Nullabor along two different routes.
    The first being along the coast on the Eyre highway which is the main Automotive route and the other a bit to the North along the Indian Pacific railroad line.

At one time I thought it would be interesting to drive the road that runs alongside the Indian Pacific railway and visit the tiny settlements along the track, but I think age has put an end to that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
      Hi Alga,

You seem to be confused.
      Not at all, read your quote from my post, which is what I referred to. Ip's provide you with a connection and limit your access according to what you pay them, but if you run a linux box and know what you are doing, you can double your speed at least, access services you can't get in Aus and protect yourself from any intrusion. You can't do that with windows, your ip is locked in by microsoft and if you try to change it, they will reverse that and as you don't own the system just rent it, you have no say. With linux you can do what you want safely and legally, as you own it.

I can watch foxtel sports for free if I want, by changing my ip address to a European one and can even have a floating IP address so no one has a clue where you are or what you are doing, try doing that with windows and the provider doesn't have a clue. Having unlimited downloads. means you have no restrictions and if you don't abuse it, you have real computing and internet freedom.

We went across the Nullabor last year and came back down the centre, had good coverage most places and where we didn't, no one did.
      Alga
      Last edited by Alga; 6 August 2017, 05:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hi Alga,

Originally posted by Alga View Post
        Not at all, read your quote from my post, which is what I referred to.
        I have reread my quote.
        As far as I can tell, a linux box is a computer that uses the linux operating system. Linux is not an internet service provider so you will need a service provider such as Telstra or Optus or Mate to actually connect onto the internet and then your Linux box can do it's "magic".

Ip's provide you with a connection and limit your access according to what you pay them,
        If you mean ISP's (Internet Service Providers) then yes Internet Service Providers connect you to the internet according to what you have paid for.

but if you run a linux box and know what you are doing, you can double your speed at least,
        It is certainly possible that you can hack your service provider to access higher internet speed than you have paid for if you know what you are doing, especially if you are using linux

your ip is locked in by microsoft and if you try to change it, they will reverse that and as you don't own the system just rent it, you have no say.
        Actually the IP you use on the internet is assigned to you by your service provider such as Telstra, optus or Mate .
        If you want to change your internet IP it is usually as simple as unplugging the power to your modem for a few minutes and when you plug back in you have a new IP- even with the NBN. I just tried it to make sure. I changed my IP twice in 15 minutes.
        Of course your IP is an Australian IP so if international websites have blocks on Australian IP's then you will be denied access.

There are many ways around that such as the Tor browser which hides your real IP and assigns you a random IP from a different country or VPN's which do much the same thing and are apparently used to access streaming sites in Europe and the USA that block Australian IP's.
        Over the years I have used several different web sites that can hide your real IP and provide you with a "Fake" IP when surfing the internet if you do not want your real IP known.
        Some are more convenient to use than others- some are free and some you have to pay for.
        I would not be surprised if someone has figured out an easy method of hiding their Australian IP when using the Linux Operating system.

With linux you can do what you want safely and legally, as you own it.
        I am not sure taking faster internet speed from your service provider than you have paid for is legal. Perhaps.

I can watch foxtel sports for free if I want, by changing my ip address to a European one
        That would only be the case if foxtel sport was free in Europe which I suspect it is not

and can even have a floating IP address so no one has a clue where you are or what you are doing, try doing that with windows and the provider doesn't have a clue.
        I have been doing it for years

We went across the Nullabor last year and came back down the centre, had good coverage most places and where we didn't, no one did.
        Who was your Mobile provider. As of 28 June this year Optus did not have any mobile coverage on the Nullabor and only very minimal cover down the centre
        tillyfromparadise
        Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 7 August 2017, 02:13 AM.

Comment

A quick update

I have been very happy with my Telstra NBN connection.
          Ever since the first week, my download speed always tested out at around 20gb, even in the evening. Things changed last night and I will talk about that later in a later post, but for now-

I AM JUST SO THRILLED TO BE RID OF FOXTEL!!!
          I could not take another day of their constant advertisements- it was driving me crazy!

just a quick reminder, as I said earlier in this thread, after painlessly connecting to the NBN I went ahead and upgraded my plan to Telstra's super duper 1000gb package for $100 a month so I could get rid of Foxtel and start streaming what I was watching on TV. My upgrade included a "Telstra TV" set top box.
          The Telstra Tv Box basically turns a "dumb" TV into a "smart" TV and has the apps installed for a number of different internet streaming programs such as Netflix and Stan And Youtube Red.

When I received my Telstra TV box, I started out watching the free version of Youtube Red.
          I am amazed at the content!!!
          Thousands of TV shows, movies, and information on a multitude of different subjects. I can not believe all the videos that are on Youtube red.
          Youtube Red is the only thing I watch.

Because I watch the free version of Youtube red, they will from time to time run an ad. You have to watch the first 5 seconds of the ad and then you can skip the rest of the ad if you want to.
          But they only put ads on very occasionally. Sometimes the programs I am watching will run for several hours without an ad. If the ad is longer than 15 seconds (they tell you on the left hand bottom of the screen how many seconds the ad has left to run) I just hit the continue button after the first 5 seconds of the ad and skip the rest of the ad and go back to the program I was watching.

NO MORE FOXTEL!!!!!!
          tillyfromparadise
          Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 22 March 2018, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Further update

So I upgraded my Telstra home service to 1000gb a month @ "upto" 25mbps download speed with home phone included for $100 a month.
            I find that even though I am constantly watching youtube red, I only use around 1/3 of the 1000gb available each month so for me, the 1000gb is unlimited download.
            Foxtel is now just a bad memory and I do not watch more than about 5 minutes worth of ads a day

I have noticed that the lowest speed available on the NBN is actually 12mbps which was about what I was getting with ADSL before I connected to the NBN.
            Telstra's default minimum download speed seems to be the "25mbps", not the 12 mbps which is what a lot of service providers offer with their "super cheap" unlimited download bundle.
            Now that I have changed back to using an ethernet cable instead of the wireless connection, my internet download speed usually checks out around 22- 23mbps- until about 4 nights ago.

I keep an eye on my internet speed and check the download speed every few days.
            About 4 days ago I checked it and found the download speed was around 45mbps! And It has stayed there. I just checked it again and 45 mbps download speed.
            I have looked on the internet and can find no mention of why my internet speed would have been increased to the "50mbps" tier. I am not complaining.

Offered a cheaper service.
            From time to time Telstra will call up to find out if we are happy with our service and see if they can do anything to help us (and increase the contract back to 2 years!)
            A month or so after we went to this new service, a fellow from Telstra called up to see if we were happy.
            He pointed out that while the home phone was included in the plan we were on, we had only made one phone call on it the last month.
            He advised that Telstra was running a special that month that for $80 we could get the same 1000gb download with the "telstra Tv" box but the home phone was pay as you go.
            So we changed to this new plan where we now pay for phone calls and are now paying around $85 a month instead of the $100 we originally signed up for.

I am happy
            tillyfromparadise
            Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 24 March 2018, 10:14 PM.

Comment

I found out why my internet speed was increased from the 25mb tier to the 50mb tier
              https://www.whistleout.com.au/Broadband/News/telsta-optus-add-nbn-50-plans

..."In attempt to position NBN 50 as its flagship product, NBN Co cut the wholesale price of fixed-line NBN 50 plans to match NBN 25 plans. While many ISPs jumped on the promotion immediately - including TPG, iiNet, and Internode - big players such as Telstra and Optus lagged behind.

Rather than following the TPG group's lead and axing its NBN 25 plans, Optus has instead introduced a new NBN 50 speed pack. This is charged at $95 per month - $15 more than its standard NBN 25 offering - but customers will have the difference refunded for the first six-months of their contract if they sign up before the end of April.

Telstra's been a bit more generous, and has made NBN 50 the standard speed for all of its 24-month contracts worth at least $80 per month. Customers will continue to receive this speed for the life of their contract (unless they choose to change speed tier). Upgrading to NBN 100 will still be billed at an extra $30 per month."

PS
              I just had a look at TPG and their "super Cheap" $60 a month for unlimited download is still provided on the 12mbps tier.
              To get 50mbps down load costs $70 per month with pay as you go phone calls
              tillyfromparadise
              Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 25 March 2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I signed up to 100 down 40 up with MyRepublic.
                at first I got 98meg until everyone in our street discovered NBN was available.
                Now I'm getting 40 down and 30 up during the afternoons. I shouldn't complain because ADSL was about 13 meg.

Hello from Brisvegas.
                97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
                2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
                2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
                2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
                2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
                Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

I Just discovered something that may help out with your speed. A Bit of back story first, bear with me.. I have fixed wireless NBN 25Mbps with optus, and have had problems with the service for over a year, slow speeds below 1Mbps at times drop outs and general crap from optus telling me there's no problem here. I wrote to the telecommunications ombudsman and went back and forth for 2months, finally gave up as Im very busy and have better things to do with my life....
                  It was Around this time I had another sh!t fight going on with a tenant who stopped paying rent, got her out of the house and start fixing up the mess. I notice she had taken the power supply to the NBN modem (which is also fixed wireless) so I though I would a get new one .... $70 P!ss off! https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NBN-Repl...-/332516718342
                  I looked everywhere Its just a $8 plug pack with a stupid 8 pin plug on the end, I refuse to pay $70 for it.. It was then I notice that the replacement is 2.5 amps, and the one at my house that i live in is only 2 amps...
                  Anyway I found an old laptop power supply rated at 12volts and 4amps so I use a couple of header plugs and shrink wrap to make up a new plug for power supply for my live in house, and the other 2 amp power supply went to the rental property. Only 2 of the 8 pin are used so it was an easy fix, although I could not find an 8 pin plug like that anywhere.
                  Switched on the 4 amp supply and it all lit up and every thing appeared to work ok, got on the internet, and I thought that page open up quick.
                  I now get around 20 Mbps faster than it has every been. Their crap power supply is completely inadequate, and that is why the replacement supply is 2.5 amps. The misses tells me home phone also works properly now and, face book messenger works properly as well. I can now also watch Netflix without buffering. Why the hell couldn't Optus have worked it out ?

Comment

Working...
                  X