Loss of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Loss of power

Smithw, thanks for the links, I have found out now why I have some spare parts left over

Tbird, thanks for pointing that out, but not being trained in the black art of IP pumps, I did not have any idea where to look for an inlet strainer, so I could only do the checks which were external to the pump. I wish I knew then what I know now.

Cchris, will post some pictures as I pick it apart for you later.

Johnnojack, I was thinking that I should confront them, but that probably would lead nowhere. I am now considering taking action against them via the small claims tribunal as a straight cleaning of the strainer would have made things go (at least as good as beforehand). If that will not lead anywhere then I may go the Consumer Affairs. By the way, let me assure you that these are high profile people, in very pretty premises (I must have financed one of the new benches now ), I did not just go to a backyard mechanic. I will try to answer some of the questions you are asking (they are good questions and I may be asked these if I take this further).

In regards to the residue on the strainer, this can come through the filter as it is liquid at the time the fuel is flowing. It seems to me that it only solidifies when in contact with air. As I mentioned I am getting this stuff on everything after a while with WVO (jerry cans, tanks etc), where a little bit of oil is not wiped off and is left to sit.

Comment

Originally posted by surfie View Post
      these are high profile people, in very pretty premises, I did not just go to a backyard mechanic.

Surfie, with hindsight there is the problem. Expensive looking workshops cost a lot to keep running. If only you had gone to someones back yard....

The gumy stuff you speak of is normal to an extent with veggi oil. Veggi oil is whats called a 'drying oil'. If left exposed to air and helped by some heat over time it will set to a semi-solid, plasticy rubbery substance.

But having said that, this shouldn't happen inside your IP, as fresh oil is flowing through it all the time.

Comment

constablechris, here are some pictures on how my inlet strainer comes out:

On this picture I am missing the banjo pipe:

This is where you take of banjo pipe:

Note strainer inside:

Now pull out:

Can't post last picture.... in this message.

Comment

Apologies, I just realized that I sent the original large pictures, not the reduced ones, so it may take longer to download them...

Johnnojack, I have pulled the shaft out again. I cannot feel the seal mark with fingernails, only that the area around there (about 1cm width) is a bit rougher then the rest. The piston in the head fits quite well, as far as movement, there is probably a tiny movement when fully in, but barely noticeable. When the diesel guy has shown the movement to me, he has only half pushed it in and now I notice the the middle part of the hole is much wider then the two ends, so of course there will be more movement.

Qwarla, not knowing where to go I looked at the Surf forums, where Rankin diesel was highly recommended. First I went to them, but they were too busy to see me (which was a pity as that was the last trip that I have managed on my own wheels) and ended up recommending the place where I went in the end. They seemed helpful over the phone and told me to try disconnecting the timing control valve. I did not see their impressive factory until I had my truck towed there....

I am now doing some research on polymerization to understand what was going on and how to avoid this next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Qwarla View Post
            Surfie, with hindsight there is the problem. Expensive looking workshops cost a lot to keep running. If only you had gone to someones back yard....

The gumy stuff you speak of is normal to an extent with veggi oil. Veggi oil is whats called a 'drying oil'. If left exposed to air and helped by some heat over time it will set to a semi-solid, plasticy rubbery substance.

But having said that, this shouldn't happen inside your IP, as fresh oil is flowing through it all the time.
            I agree with the observations of this appearing to be a normal deposit from vege that is drying.

Quarla I agree that it shouldn't happen with fresh oil flowing through it, but he's in Melbourne i.e. colder climate, and theories that his pollack broke and he never purged for several weeks.

I've always been concerned about the impact of inadequate purging in these pumps, and with all the tiny galleries a proper purge is going to take a while. Leaving vege in overnight over a couple of weeks is bound to cause problems. I'm wondering if the high suction at the point of the filter has created some cavitation and aeration, creating the necessary amount of air in the region to send the vege off and gluggy.

Good to see a relatively easy fix might have been possible.

Tim
            Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
            12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
            Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
            Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
            Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Surfie re the seal marks on the shaft they will be the 2 shiny rings barely 1mm wide each. If you can't detect a groove there then they can't justify the need for a new shaft.

Re the high pressure piston, sounds like some wear there. With mine I could get no sideways movement. I'm not expert enough to say if it is excessive.
              Johnnojack
              4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
              Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Hey thanks for taking the time to do those pics for me, you have shown me I have been attacking that bolt all wrong!! I thought the banjo head stayed on and the nut thing half way up the bolt was used to adjust the pressure on the connection, but I was wrong!!

Again, thanks for taking the time, you have saved me a few dollars and givem me something to do this weekend

Be good

Chris

Comment

Hey guys .. I have exactly the same problem as described in theselinks ...
                  Error 14 - Timing control system malfunction. I have a 2004 turbo diesel Hilux with only 66,000km. The power loss happens randomly,, usually down 30-40% and can randomly come back to full power after a few days of driving around. Every 2 or 3 weeks i lose total power and can only idol ..when its in this state it blows grey smoke out the back when i put my foot down a little. . Hills or any ascent cant be driven up. I usually turn the engine off for up to half and hour and it rectifies to either full or 3/4 power until the next time I have full loss.

Ihave done no modification to the engine apart from 2 2/3 inch exhaust all the way through.. doe by professioanals . The local toyota dealership here in BNE are stumped and after consulting with other dealerships around the country carried out a proper bleeding procedure on the ECD pump which they hoped had some sort of air pocket. Unfortunately this didnt work. I have also been recommended a new computer board at 3k but it still only guessing and cant help but feel its somthing else.

Comment

Johnnojack, the guy admitted that a shaft change may not be needed, that was one of the parts he was gonna leave out when I asked for a cheaper price (or rather I told him that I will buy a new pump at that price). I can feel no grooves by hand.

I agree that there may be some normal wear, but that is not what has stopped me and I am sure of that now. Here is my (improved) theory:

1. Pollack stopped working and I did not purge (even though I was thinking I was)
                    2. Did less driving around Chrissy period, ended up not using my truck for a few days a few times.
                    3. It is summer and in the garage it gets even hotter. Perfect formula for oxidization. Heat+time+steel of IP+oxygen in IP (ie IP not running). Gum started to form on strainer.
                    4. When doing additional driving and doing same - I just ended up with another layer of the same gum - until game was over.

The symptoms were of classic filter block - I had identical behaviour to when my fuel filter was blocking. However, to my failure I did not know where to look even when helped out by some of you - especially looks like Tbird hit it right on the head...

I have been doing a heap of reading now on polymerization and I think the real solution is to get an antioxidant and metal deactivator fuel additive! Anyone knows or tried such?

Tim, looks like tiny cavities etc where not really a problem, only strainer. You can see the pictures everything is quite clean. And good news is that to purge oil on strainer you hardly need any fuel - just need to purge your fuel hose and mine is very short . Then strainer will be sitting in diesel and be happy.

I have now also changed my fuel hoses to all clear braided before and after the pollack, so when I open up the bonnet, it is immediately obvious what fuel I am running on. I did have a little LED on the pollack switch indicating if 12V was going down to pollack, but unfortunately it could not tell me that it was not switching. I need to think of a better control lamp, too.

constablechris, let us know how you go! I can now make all the pics you ever need

Hi Hilux, are you on bio/veg fuel or just normal diesel? You definitely suffer from fuel starvation. Though, if your strainer was blocking, I would think that it would not unblock when you waited for a while.

Don't get fooled into buying a computer, you can check yourself if circuits are good. Also, see my earlier links re how to diagnose this (also try to get a service manual). First you need to establish where your problem is. If not the computer, then change your fuel hose to clear braided and see if you are getting a lot of air in the fuel (mine gets some bubbles, but still runs fine). If not then it may in fact be in the IP. Given that it sounds more temperature related, perhaps it may be one of the sensors on the pump? If in fact you end up with an IP problem in the worst case, get a new one - it is not worth reconditioning them IMHO. Get someone who can replace it cheap (I can tell you where not to go ). Hope it will be a simpler issue for you.

Comment

Any way to viwe the pictures from surfers IP pump?

Comment

Working...
                      X