Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAV / DELPHI filter installation

Hi All,

just thought I would share this. A while back someone asked why I reverse the fuel flow in my cav filter. My reasons were based on giving the contaminants and crap time to settle before going through the filter, thereby extending the life of the filter.

Today I found a new and compelling reason to continue this arrangement.

I use Sakura filters off ebay for about $6 each.

When I changed the filter today for my 10,000 service, I noticed the paint on the bottom of filter where it is immersed in bio was completely buggered and peeling off. if I had been running it in the correct fashion, this would have been free to go straight through into the gauze screen inside the fuel pump. Thankfully the top part of the filter where the fuel exits the filter is not painted, and is just just bare metal.

My recommendation is for anyone running bio and cav filters, reverse the fuel flow direction. simple but effective protection from just another potential pain in the arse problem with fuel blockages.

Re: CAV / DELPHI filter installation

Originally posted by Captaincademan View Post
    Hi All,
    My recommendation is for anyone running bio and cav filters, reverse the fuel flow direction. simple but effective protection from just another potential pain in the arse problem with fuel blockages.
    No I can't do that. Mine has the plunger primer built in. It won't let me.

Comment

So which way is the fuel flowing if the filter is fitted ' as recommended' does it go from outside to inside like other filters? So dirt is on the outside?
      Johnnojack
      4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
      Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
        So which way is the fuel flowing if the filter is fitted ' as recommended' does it go from outside to inside like other filters? So dirt is on the outside?
        Well I suggest you run it so the fuel goes 'bottom to top' through the filter medium. The bottom is painted, the top is raw metal. The arrows on the manifold suggest the fuel should flow the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
          My comment removed as it is incorrect - don't want to muddy the waters and confuse anyone!

the
          83Patrol
          Donating Member
          Last edited by 83Patrol; 5 October 2016, 05:11 PM. Reason: Changed link to display the linked image
          1987 Mercedes W124 300D
          1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

the drawing you have is not correct for the sakura / baldwin filters. They have several holes at the top and the bottom. regardless of whether the fuel flows through the bottom into the filter or through a porous membrane in the pipe up the guts, the effect is the same. I havent cut one open to check whether the holes at the bottom are to let water out or for fuel movement, but it makes no difference. if the filter is used in the intended fashion, clean fuel exists in the bowl and is ultimately drawn up into the fuel lines on the way to the pump, taking the loosened paint with it. reverse the fuel flow and the worst thats going to happen is the loosened paint blocks the filter.

I tried to upload a photo of the baldwin filter which is exactly the same, but I get an error message about incorrect file type or something such as.

The filter is a FC1702 by sakura, or the baldwin BF825. there are other variants by other brands which are all very similar.

Comment

tillyfromparadise
              Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 5 October 2016, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Tony,

thanks for the help with the photos. How did you do that?

Dealing in pedantic semantics here, (but hey there isnt much else to do) but the drawing still isn't right either. My filter setup is exactly like the photo on the left. The sketch is not a cav filter like I am using. that looks more a golden rod kind of filter housing, where the whole filter is encased in housing.

I think you lot are taking the piss out of me here, as I am sure you have all had lots do with such a common and old-school filter!

Comment

the drawing you have is not correct for the sakura / baldwin filters
                  Yes, I think that I was thinking of the way a goldenrod filter works... is the one you're talking about more like this?

Tony From West Oz
                  Vice Chairperson of WARFA
                  Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 5 October 2016, 10:51 PM. Reason: Used [img] tags to show image
                  1987 Mercedes W124 300D
                  1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

Thats it mate, bang on. perfect explanation. so you can see how the paint layer on the bottom of the filter would go straight off to the pump. reversing fuel flow solves 2 issues at once.

thanks for finding the image.

Comment

Thats it mate, bang on. perfect explanation. so you can see how the paint layer on the bottom of the filter would go straight off to the pump. reversing fuel flow solves 2 issues at once.

thanks for finding the image.
                      I have noticed the last couple of times that i have been changing filters exactly this issue also - more so on my BIO filter than the WVO filters (both are CAV filters) - i had never thought about it before but will definitely be changing this around on the weekend

Craig
                      Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
                      210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
                      Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Comment

That paint thing is pretty annoying eh? Have you ever come across another brand of filter that isn't painted? I assume the filters aren't the same on both ends, so flipping the filter upside down won't work?
                        3DB
                        1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
                        1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
                        1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
                        @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
                        @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

It certainly looks a funny way of doing things.
                          This page explains how it works with diagrams
                          Towards the bottom of the page

http://www.civilengineeringhandbook....m-layouts.html
                          tillyfromparadise
                          Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 2 March 2017, 04:44 PM.

Comment

These Wix brand elements seem be paint-free

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FFL-33166...gAAOSwZJlXMvX9
                            3DB
                            1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
                            1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
                            1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
                            @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
                            @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by 3DB View Post
                              These Wix brand elements seem be paint-free

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FFL-33166...gAAOSwZJlXMvX9
                              They are a different animal altogether. They might physically fit, (I haven't measured so not sure) but they work quit differently. Note the photo where it shows a solid bottom to the filter. The 'tube' up the centre is where the fuel exits the filter (quite like the sketches shown earlier in this thread). My filters of which there are several connotations have s solid lining to the centre and a perforated base to which coalesced water (read glycerin) can drain from. If they physically fit they might work just fine, but I would still run the fuel through the wrong way as all the crap (glyc, dreaded white stuff etc) would accumulate at the top of the filter. Ok so paint isn't a problem but they will last longer and you get a true indication of what's going on with your filters. I used to wait for the 'feel' of a clogged filter. Now I just check the bowl and clean as required. I might get 3 or 5 cleans Before changing the filter.

Comment

Working...
                              X