Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Land Cruiser Troopy Conversion

Hello Fine veg oilers,

Just finished the conversion of this Land Cruiser troopy that belongs to our new member Paul/98troopy. With him being an experienced mechanic I do hope my job is up to his standard.

Here are some photos of the vehicle and I will add more photos when Paul arrives to pick the car up in the morning.

Regards
    Fitian
    <><

Re: 98 Land Cruiser Troopy Conversion

Looks good Fitian, were you able to use pre existing holes to fit brackets or did you have to drill?

Peter<><

Comment

Pitty I didn't get to see this one in the flesh but looking at the pictures, there doesn't seem much to see as the whole thing looks so factory fitted!

I'm sure Paul will have as big a smile on his face as the rest of us veggers as he burns through his veg oil and servos become nothing more than a place to stop for Drinks and hamburgers.

Chalk another one up for the King Of Canola Conversions!

Comment

Looks fantastic Fitian! nice work.
        Delica 98.

'98 Delica 2.8TD on B50

Comment

Hi Fitian,

Looks good, nice and neat. Looking forward to some more pics and info on the conversion.

Froggo.
          HJ45 Landcruiser Troopy
          Home made 2 tank system
          Blending in main diesel tank
          SVO/WVO Converted 18/01/08
          http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/3667-hj45_troopy_conversion.html

Comment

Fitian,

Did this model 'Cruiser not have the factory fitted second tank, therefore needing the 20L drum in the back?
            Neat job, Paul has to be happy with that.
            MQ Patrol - WVO since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by PeterAC View Post
              Looks good Fitian, were you able to use pre existing holes to fit brackets or did you have to drill?
              Peter<><
              Thanks Peter, I usually try to use as many existing holes as possible and avoid drilling any extra holes in the vehicle. In this one I only need to drill couple of holes just to mount the CAV filter. See photo ...

Originally posted by David View Post
              Pitty I didn't get to see this one in the flesh but looking at the pictures, there doesn't seem much to see as the whole thing looks so factory fitted! Chalk another one up for the King Of Canola Conversions!
              Thanks Dave, You are always kind - Thanks for you time this afternoon mate.
              Originally posted by Delica98 View Post
              Looks fantastic Fitian! nice work.
              Thanks for your kindness Del, I look forwards to working on your vehicle some time soon.
              Originally posted by Mr Ute View Post
              Fitian,
              Did this model 'Cruiser not have the factory fitted second tank, therefore needing the 20L drum in the back?
              Neat job, Paul has to be happy with that.

Yeah, This one came with one 85 ltrs tank but Paul is going to place an order for a long range tank to be fitted soon. This 20 L tank is temp. thing for now.

Thanks for your kind words mate.

I hope my work meets Pauls standards.

Regards to you all
              Fitian
              <><

Comment

Well I did get to see this one in the flesh as Paul brought it round on it's test drive with Fitian today. The fact he had a larger smile on his face than when I saw him last week and was noticeably more excited was neither lost on me or without valid reason.
                I enjoy looking over all these conversions so I was well pleased when they turned up and I got to see this one.

It's always the little details that impress the heck out of me with Fitians Conversions and this one was no different. On this vehicle he had a nice little bit of empty space to work with and and made the most of it so all the " conversion" stuff is in one neat little place.

While I have become a little familiar with the quality of the Canola Kings Conversions, The bracketing work on this Vehicle, custom made as usual, was a real standout in function and design. Listening to Fitian describe to Paul how different components could be easily accessed ( Like they would ever need to be on his setups! ) and noticing the carefully rounded edges, Spring washers and even the way the components are rubber mounted for insulation against heat loss, shows the level of thought and craftsmanship that Fitian puts into these conversions.

There is always something that strikes me in particular with the setups Fitian does and todays was a beauty!....
                Fitian explained to Paul that he had left space between the 2 HE's so that he could get a hand in between them so it would still be easy to change the globe in the blinker light that is on the other side of the Mudguard!

Now as someone that has spent the last few days trying to work out what the hell Tool I'm going to need to make up to access the virtually hidden bolt on the Back of my IP in order to ramp up the timing, some forethought like that into making future work as easy as possible is about as impressive as it gets.
                Of course consideration like this is a dead giveaway the conversion isn't factory. If it was they would have put something there to block access which would have made changing the bulb a 3 hour job!
                I'm sure we all wish our entire vehicles were built with this sort of attention to detail and servicing considerations and to me it stands testament as to just how much thought and effort Fitian puts into what he does in every part of what he does.

Fitian,
                You are a very modest man and always dismiss the compliments you receive as people being kind. Kindness isn't my strong suit mate but calling things as I see them is, along with an appreciation for people that take the time to do things absolutely right.
                You more than deserve each and every compliment you get through the hard work, forethought and attention to detail in you put into making every single thing you do on these cars to the very best that anyone could do.
                Well done once again.

No Doubting the King of Canola conversions has once again has shown why he's at the top of the oil game!

Comment

I even had the privilege of driving the car, as Fitian brought it round to my place to show me his latest handy work. It drives superbly well for such a large vehicle and although I didn't get to drive it before the conversion, it may well run smoother on veg.

As David has said, it's certainly a very professional looking conversion and looks like it was factory supplied. Fitian's work just keeps getting better and better.

I understand that the 20L jerry is just a temporary measure until Paul gets his long range tank fitted, but none the less, it would be serviceable for continuous use if so desired.

I'm sure Paul will be very satisfied with his new veggie mobile.

Comment

Fitian: "I hope my work meets Pauls standards"
                    Paul: Absolutely! Toyota could do no better. Underbonnet and dashboard have a factory fitted appearance.
                    geewizztoo: "I'm sure Paul will be very satisfied with his new veggie mobile"
                    Paul: Yes very satisfied so far. 300 km on WVO so far. I have had the troopy only a few months, since end October actually. I got a diesel at the time with the intention of converting to WVO and was torn between that path and getting a petrol version and converting to LPG.
                    I have done 10,000 km on mainly B20 (when I could get it) and petrodiesel,
                    lots of trips up and down the freeway between Hornsby ans Morisset. I have been able to maintain the 110kph limit up hills included however the troopy has usually been unladen, with 1 person and max 80 litres fuel. Coming home yesterday on WVO I was able to maintain the 110kph limit up hills included, with 1 person and 300 litres of fuel on board - our max load so far. So this confirms that there is definitely no power loss and there may be some power improvement.
                    I did notice that the engine sounded 'rattly' at idle on the WVO and I wasn't sure if it had been as 'rattly' on diesel. As I approached home I switched to diesel to purge the system for the overnight stop. When I arrived home I did notice that it was less 'rattly' at idle on diesel. This is interesting as I expected the opposite due to the better lubricity of the WVO. We shall see, I have yet to determine if the 'rattle' is from the IP or the injectors.
                    I will report to the forum again when I have done a few more k's.

Comment

Update: 3 1/2 days and 600 km on WVO. No problems so far. As best I can tell performance is pretty much the same, certainly not worse, perhaps a little better. Fuel use - no idea as I don't accurately measure how much oil I put in.
                      Saturday I drove from Campbelltown to Newcastle on WVO all the way. Sunday I hardly drove at all. (too busy filtering oil). Monday drove Newcastle to Hornsby then left the troopy to sit for 2 1/2 hours (oops) and left the headlights on (realised later). Started OK on WVO (didn't purge as I intended tom be only 1 hour. Needed a little more cranking than usual but that may have been the headlights being left on). A few short trips with short stops and no purge, then down to newport - purge and leave for 4 hours. Started fine as usual on diesel. Back to Hornsby - purge and leave overnight. Today started fine on diesel then swithed to WVO for Hornsby to Newcastle - no purge, left for 2 hours (oops again) then started on WVO (a little more cranking again) and idled till warm - no purge and left for another 2 hours before starting again and doing a couple of short-ish trips all on WVO then purged before arriving home for the night and back to the filtering.
                      Back to Hornsby tomorrow and back to Newcastle on Thurs, then back to Hornsby and down the south coast on Friday.

Comment

At this rate, You'll be ahead on the conversion cost by the end of the month!!

Comment

Very quick update. 1000 kms now on wvo - no problems.

Comment

just out of interest how much was it to do the conversion?? I'm a bioer but always asking questions (knowledge is power).
                            Cheers nick.
                            Cheers
                            Nick.
                            Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RODEONICK View Post
                              just out of interest how much was it to do the conversion?? I'm a bioer but always asking questions (knowledge is power).
                              Cheers nick.
                              There is no fixed price. It depends on what needs to be done.

Please contact me if you have a vehicle and we'll take it from there

Cheers
                              Fitian
                              <><

Comment

Working...
                              X