This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veggie use in heavy haulage vehicles

I was asked about using veggie oil in heavy haulage vehicles.
    What follows is my response.
    Please feel free to critique it.

I have no experience with cooking oil use in heavy haulage vehicles.
    However, diesel engines will happily run on vegetable oils. The main things to consider are:
    1. Common rail injection - there is little experience in using vegetable oil in CRD engines. Alexander Noac (www.greasenergy-shop.com) does conversion on CRD engines, including modification of the computer program to ensure optimal combustion of the vegetable oil fuel.
    2. Direct or indirect injection - CRD engines are Direct Injection, so see above.
    - Direct injection (non CRD) engines normally require to have a 2 tank system so that it can be shut down on diesel, to prevent polymerisation (gumming) of oil in the Injectors.
    - Indirect Injection engines may be used with vegetable oils, see below:
    3. Inline or Rotary Injection pump. If it has a Rotary injection pump it may require a 2 tank system to prevent strain on the Injection Pump when cold starting.
    4. Climate:
    - Tropical climates allow greater usage of vegetable oils without heating the tank, fuel line or fuel filter.
    - Temperate climates may require heating of fuel filter to prevent filter blockages due to solidification of the high melting point components of the oil (animal fats, hydrogenated oils). Selection of oil sources for those who provide a low melting point oil may allow operation without heating the filter.
    - Cold climates may require filter, fuel line and tank heating to allow cold weather use.
    5. Oil types
    - Animal fats and Hydrogenated oils. These solidify at temperatures below 30°C and may require heated fuel system, even in tropical climes.
    - Liquid vegetable oils. Depending on the history of the oil, these may also contain Animal Fats or Hydrogenated oils. A test to determine the point at which these oils solidify will be useful in determining their usefulness in your climate. Less than 10% of the oil solidifying at the coldest overnight temperature would be the most I would consider using, unless blended with diesel (or petrol - at up to 10% concentration).

This is just some thoughts I have put together to help you with your choices and the fuel you wish to use.

The above is when using 100% or low diesel % blends. If used as a diesel fuel extender at lower percentages (say 10 - 50% with diesel), then you may be able to use the oil in colder climates or in different diesel engines.
    Tony From West Oz
    Vice Chairperson of WARFA
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 3 July 2017, 09:40 PM. Reason: Corrected typo "CDD" to "CRD"
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Re: Veggie use in heavy haulage vehicles

What is CDD?

Alexander Noac (www.greasenergy-shop.com) does conversion on CDD engines,
    1987 Mercedes W124 300D
    1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by 83Patrol View Post
      What is CDD?
      My apologies, I inadvertently created a "Typo".
      It should have been "CRD"
      I have edited my post to correct my Typo.
      Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I've heard stories of earthmoving contractors and long-haul trucking companies using both bio & SVO, but have no direct knowledge either.

I can't see why a big indirect injection Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel, Navistar, Cummins, Scania, Volvo, UD, Hino would be any different to the engines in the light vehicles we drive.

Regarding the CRD engines, I also caught up with Alexander Noack here in Sydney and was surprised to hear how successful he's been with SVO in these engines. The key take-away points for me were:
        1) Fuel quality - it has to be free of water, particles, salt & other contaminants. Contaminants are the key downfall with any fuel in CRD engines;
        2) Tuning - the ease of tuning the modern CRD engines with programmable Engine Control Units (ECUs) is their biggest asset. It is extremely easy to adjust injection timing in particular with a few simple keystrokes on a laptop to get the best possible combination of power, economy and emissions. Noack has a few projects where the clients run multiple fuels (e.g. palm oil, dino diesel and one other...maybe Jet A1 or kerosene) in the same engine, depending on what is available and he has different tunes programmed for each.
        3) Veg fuel degradation of fuels system rubbers & plastics appears to not be an issue for Bosch & Denso (Toyota etc) components.
        4) Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) still cause issues, but these can be resolved. Modern European trucks are fitted with DPFs and NOx control systems like AdBlue (mostly urea). The AdBlue appears to be an added bonus for veg.

Hope that is all correct - someone will tell me if not
        3DB
        1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
        1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
        1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
        @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
        @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

I have a 671GM common rail in my motorsailer and it has been running on SVO for about 10 years, same with my 12m converted bus running a 6BD1T Isuzu on SVO, massey ferguson backhoe and Mitsubishi canter tipper. A mate runs his entire trucking/earthmoving business on VO/dino, he has a Kenworth, 2 x DAF, 2 x volvos 1 Mac, various dozer's and excavators. Know a bloke from Broken hill that runs his road trains on VO, but haven't seen him for a few years so no idea whether that is still the case, haven't been that way for awhile.
          Alga
          Last edited by Alga; 7 October 2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X