1hz injector pump rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1hz injector pump rebuild

Some good information coming out in this thread. We need someone with a flowchart builder to put it all in as a reference sticky to save it all being written out again in a few weeks time when the next person has this problem.

It makes a lot of sense to start with the simplest, most obvious & cheapest troubleshooting techniques first and progress to the harder, more expensive ones if they don't work.

At this point hunting for that filter screen makes a lot of sense and it will be the next thing I investigate if my problem comes back again. My Zexel IP does not have one under the inlet banjo. I never found one when I was fiddling around a couple of years ago to try to increase the power, but I can't remember whether I removed the cut-off solenoid.

Anyway, it may be worth consulting Capataincademan as he is the other guy with a 1HZ that immediately comes to mind and it seems like he would know the location of that screen on your vehicle. Hopefully it is easy to get at without removing the IP from the vehicle or having to remove other stuff.

Regarding the acetone flush - yes, I used my Facet pump to do that with the engine off. I don't know how your engine would go if you pumped it at high concentration through the injectors while running, but I think I got a least a bit burned through mine when I re-started. I cannot say that the acetone won't kill your Facet pump either. Mine died before I finished a full 500 mL flush, but it seems like it was probably already on its last legs.
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
    1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
    @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
    @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

Sorry - completely overlooked the air in return line issue in my response above.

If if you remove the Facet pump from the equation and run the engine do you still get air in the return line?
      3DB
      1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
      1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
      1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
      @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
      @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

You said previously that adding the Facet fuel pump restored engine performance - for a while.
        That indicates that the problem lies within the IP.
        You have a few of choices:
        1. Have the pump cleaned and checked, or
        2. Source a second hand pump to suit your engine from a wreckers.
        3. Have a go at dismantling and cleaning your IP yourself.
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Qwarla ... you the man !!!! and Tilly , 3DB etc

I used google pictures and went to the web pages of multo problems involving no power / smoking 1hz engines
          So one bloke did what I did...checked the filter screen in the injector pump inlet and couldn't see one but he went down in the hole about 60 mm with a piece of wire with a hook on the end and found one
          So did I... and found one. I did look at some stage previously but didn't really know what I was looking for
          Pulled it out with a twisted picky thing and blocked to buggery. Its built of delicate fine s/s mesh
          Cleaned out with SCA degreasing spray and a .22 calibre soft nylon barrel brush. It had no plastic base so left crap at bottom of hole.
          Fortunately the fuel intake down that hole is about 2 cm off the bottom so sucked out out the contents thru a small plastic hose by mouth.
          Back flushed with gravity thru the return line with diesel to make sure its all clean and sucked out again
          Back together with the external fuel tank on the ladder and no facet pump attached
          No bubbles ....
          4500 rpm and black smoke
          ...that made for a big smile. Didn't check for air bubbles in the return line.
          Still need to check for air leaks as I put the fuel system back together to find what is allowing air in
          I took some photos will post soon
          Thanks to ewes all for your inputs.
          I just realised the engine probably hasn't revved to max for 7 or 8 years because this was developing slowly

Comment

Originally posted by farmerpete View Post
            Qwarla ... you the man !!!! and Tilly , 3DB etc

4500 rpm and black smoke
            I bet that gave you that 'warm n fuzzy feeling'.
            Nothing better than poking about and fixing the problem yourself and saving yourself a packet.
            Big scary things them IPs. But if it's stuffed, playing with it won't do any more damage and sometimes ya just get lucky and fix it.

Somewhere along the way your filters must have let some crud slip past. This can happen bio melts all the glue holding the element together, or just a small part of the glue and makes for a small hole.
            But now you know where to look next time.

Good work.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	24022017_001_.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	94628 The cigarette sized filter

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                Farmerpete. I am not sure that your engine behaves the same as the 1HT engine, but if it does:
                Remove the facet pump from the fuel delivery line. It cannot pass enough fuel for that engine. It pumps a lot more fuel than the engine needs and the restriction may cause the symptoms you have.
                If you need a primer pump put it in the return line to suck the fuel thru the filter and IP. This could cause issues with the IP internal pressures though.
                If running on veggie oil increase the fuel delivery line to 1/2"ID to further minimise restriction.
                Check posts by Tim HJ61

Hope this helps,
                Tony
                Not sure this is right. Years ago my fisrt BD car was a 1HZ. After a few months the IP karked it and I sent it to a mob in Qld to get it rebuilt with Viton seals. When I got it back it didn't quite run right. It behaved as though I didn't have full throttle travel, and consequently it was flat out at 100kmh. I thought about sending it back, but this involved a fair bit of mucking around, so I thought I'd try fitting a Facet pump to see what happened. Bingo - problem solved, and it ran perfectly.

If you're looking for a bio friendly IP rebuilder, there's a mob in Picton NSW (whose name escapes me at the moment), or if you wanted to send it to WA you will find Total Fuel Injection in Balcatta will happily rebuild a BD compatible pump for you, and they are the cheapest in Perth

Comment

Mark,
                  Did you fix the problem causing the poor performance or just continue with your work around?
                  Tony
                  Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                  '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                  '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                  '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                  '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                  '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                  '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                  '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                  '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                  '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                  '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                  '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                  '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                  Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I just left it as it was. It was running fine so if it ain't broke don't fix it. But it meant that I had to carry a spare pump with me just in case

Comment

Tony
                      The info in this thread is very relevant to another thread in Making Biodiesel titled '1HZ wont rev heaps of smoke'. That thread has had 12000 views
                      Perhaps the info in this thread and that other thread should be somehow combined?
                      Cheers
                      ps O how the om606 goes compared to the 603.Its so much fun to drive .New plastic fuel hoses already.

Comment

Originally posted by Qwarla View Post
                        It looks to me that you are trying to convince yourself your injectors are stuffed.
                        Picture this-
                        IP is sending an amount of fuel to each injector. It can go two places.
                        1. Into the engine and be burnt producing power.
                        2. Out the overflow tube and return to the fuel tank.

Now you have no, or very little overflow and very low on power. What does this suggest to you?
                        To me it says you are not getting enough fuel delivered to your injectors.
                        If you have had the engine running as described, everything on your vehicle has been bypassed except the IP. So the problem has to be within the IP.

The vein pump will not be visible through the return banjo bolt hole. It's usually down the front near where the IP bolts to the engine.
                        The fact that the screen in this hole was clogged with crud must tell you something.
                        it tells me that your filter system has had a failure and let crud into your IP.
                        If you study the diagrams further back up this thread you will discover something that may help you. Marked in big blue letters.
                        On most IPs there is a sintered filter between the IP pumps body and the high pressure head. Sometimes under the fuel shut off solenoid.

All the fuel that gets sent to the injectors has to pass through this filter.
                        Since there is/was crud in your IP it is a fair bet this other filter copped a fair bit as well and is very restricted.

If I was a gambling man I'd put up $20.00 saying this is your problem.
                        you seem a pretty knowledgable bloke , wonder if you know if the L or 2L [not sure which I have ] Hilux motors from the 80s have an intrnal screen in the IP and if so where ? :-) thanks :-)

Comment

Working...
                        X