terrano dying after a few k's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: terrano dying after a few k's

I fitted a Hansa electric in line fuel pump and also fitted a VF Cab fuel filter

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
      Don't scrap it yet, I don't think it is the IP. Sounds like a restriction in the delivery from the tank causing it to suck in air somewhere when using higher amounts of fuel. Time for bypassing tank altogether, tie a Jerry to the bullbar or put in passenger footwell. Take a hose from jerry directly to the ip thru a small inline filter. Leave return alone for purposes of the test. Report back when you have done this.
      Edit
      I now see Tony has already suggested this.
      Are you thinking there is a restriction from tank to injection pump....what would cause this any ideas anyway will give it a go mate cheers but it may be a few days as work commitments take priority keep a look out.. thanks. could fitting a cheap inline pump as Bitsathis has suggested be woth a shot I can get one pretty cheap locally. Thanks fellas for your help I have a soft spot for the old car and I would hate to have her end up in the scrap yard

Comment

Is the IP mechanicly controlled , cable from accelerator, or electricly controlled VF zexel pump, throttle position sensor and black plastic box on top of IP withwires going to it.?? If its electronicly controlled it can be one of several sensors or bad connectors.

Comment

dagwill, I am pretty sure it is a mechanically controlled IP. I can't recall for sure but I have an impression it is an inline pump.
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

mechanical pump its the d21 terrano

Comment

Originally posted by artrix View Post
              mechanical pump its the d21 terrano

Inline or rotary?
              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Be very thankfull its a mechanical pump, and not the later electronicly controlled, witch are grt when they are NEW but a nightmare as they age. On the older Terranos access to the fuel tank is under the matt in the rear luggage area. Remove cover, disconnect fuel lines, dust off top of fuel tank, remove cover with fuel pickup,guage. Some have a filter on the bottom of the fuel pickup. If its not that filter at least you can blow through the fuel lines and know theres no blockage.

Comment

will try that over the next couple of days dagwill have to work a couple of long days will keep everyone posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                    Inline or rotary?
                    Its a zexel which is a copy of a bosche pump I believe its rotary but cant be 100% sure

Comment

Yes it would have a mechanical VE type pump made by Zexel under licence from Bosch. Dagwill has suggested the fuel lines were prone to corroding so rather than adding a pump to possibly the dodgy pipe best to try the jerry can method to eliminate the fuel line for the moment. If it turns out to be blocked steel pipes then best to replace them. I'd try the airline some have suggested.
                      Johnnojack
                      4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                      Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Well I have managed a stop gap repair.....I fitted an inline pump just prior to the filter and it worked , car has been driven 30 k's and no problems with it stopping. I must admit I am still looking at trying the jerry can idea but time at the moment is tight. I pulled fuel pickup out of tank and thee is no filter on the end so it couldnt be a blockage there. Must be the IP getting tired and not holding pressure. Is it right to assume that running pump long term will eventually cause issues? I just bought a cheap square facet style pump so I will eventually buy a better quality one. I must admit to struggling getting an air tight seal on pump outlets but will play around with thread tape. Many thanks ta all for your inputs its been very much appreciated. HAVE A GREAT XMAS EVERYONE

Comment

Good to hear you have some progress, sounds like your on the right track. If you have just bought one of those little square pumps,,,, an idea for after Xmas when the rush is over. Disconnect rubber hose from fuel tank, with a couple of extra bits of hose, plumb the pump sucking from tank pipe then into hose you just disconnected ,power up pump and leave it 1/2 hr then you can do a visual for wet leaks along fuel system, showing possible air leak intake spots. Anyway good news

Comment

cheers Dagwill not sure i am following what your saying but thanks for the input
                            Last edited by artrix; 20 December 2017, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Artrix,
                              What he is suggesting is that you temporarily relocate the fuel pump to the fuel line leaving the fuel tank. Then run the pump for at least 30 min to check for fuel leaks from the fuel system plumbing. Any fuel leaking out would indicate a place where air leaks into the system when the IP is working without the added pump.
                              You may not have any fuel leakage from the system though.
                              Once finished testing, return the pump to it's current location. It obviously helps the IP in its current location.
                              Tony From West Oz
                              Vice Chairperson of WARFA
                              Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 20 December 2017, 02:08 AM. Reason: revised

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Hey Tony,

out of interest I have my pusher pump in both the Cruiser and the Mazda down near the tank outlet. I went to the effort of putting it there so the line is constantly pressurised, and always air leak free. Somebody once told me that fuel pumps are generally bench tested with a positive 2 PSI or so of fuel pressure. it would be nice to think that my pumps are providing this, although I never bothered to check. I doubt that there would be 2psi when the car is running, as I reckon the IP would draw almost as much as the little pump would provide. Since fitting down near the tank I have never had an air leak issue. prior to this I nearly sold the car in frustration.

I power mine form the ignition key, so it is always running. It also makes purging the filter bowl a breeze.

Comment

Working...
                                X