• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Glycerol / glycerine / byproduct pre wash

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
    Hi smithy,

SNIP

Originally Posted by smithy

So the savings can be considerable with a minimum cost of electricity if doing the mixing at ambient temps with a compressor.
    Compressors are not cheap to run- it is the compressor that makes refrigerators so expensive to operate.
    I agree, it is much cheaper to run a small pump or stirrer than to run a compressor. Even if they are the same size motor, the losses in compressing air mean that the impact on circulation is far less than a stirrer or pump.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Just to share the procedure I used this past summer to make the biodiesel I will use this year.
      My diesel engine does not require high conversion biodiesel

At about 5:30 am I turn the heater on to heat 130 litres of WVO to around 50C that is already in a reactor . This takes about 2 hours.
      Around 7:30 am I remove the heater from the reactor and add the methoxide made to the formula 14%-140ml methanol mixed with 10g KOH per litre of WVO being reacted.
      I then mix that for at least an hour using both a pump and drill for mixing.
      By 9:00am this batch is finished and ready for further processing

Because I only have one heater, at 7:30, after removing the heater from the first 130 litre batch of WVO, I start heating another 130 litres of WVO to around 50C that is in another reactor. This takes about 2 hours.
      At 9:30 am I add the same formula methoxide to this batch and mix for another hour or so.
      By 11:00 am I have finished reacting two- 130 litre batches of biodiesel which is roughly 1/7 of the biodiesel I will likely use this year.

Comment

[QUOTE=tillyfromparadise;64970]
        At about 5:30 am I turn the heater on

I like your methodology Tilly , but is the timing critical ? bugger starting work that early

Comment

Easily done using a timer and mains contactor to suit the current rating of the element.
          Set the start time, set the stop time, turn on the power to the timer. Come back after the oil is heated up.
          Simple technology.
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Hi timorcoco

Originally posted by timorcoco View Post
            I like your methodology Tilly , but is the timing critical ?
            No, the timing is not critical.
            I tend to get up with the sun.
            I live in Queensland where there is not Day Light Savings.
            At that time of the year, the sun is well and truly up by 5:30am.
            There is no sense in wasting sunlight

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post

There is no sense in wasting sunlight
              Ya got a point there. Not like ya can actually 'save' it.

Comment

Qwarla; In Spanish language and in English language to a lesser extent an "a" on the end of a noun, a name may indicate you are a woman rather than a fat old bearded man. Anyway photosynthesis catches energy from the sun, a nuclear explosion. Vegetable oil production from plant material is caught energy from the nuclear explosion sometimes called the sun. Using fatty acids from plants to make biodiesel does harness catching energy from a sizeable nuclear explosion (our sun).

Comment

I have tried this mixing an entire batch of glyc to clean the next lot of oil. The result was astounding with beautiful clean oil from crap with a tiny titration. Unfortunately the glycerol thickened so as it would not drain from my heating vessel and although I managed to separate the oil and process it by taking it off the top I had to dig out the byproduct and the guy who takes my byproduct for handcleaner promised that if I ever did it again he would stop picking up my glyc.
                  QED.

Comment

yep you do have to drain it while it's hot.

Comment

Gsmiley, were you using KOH or NaOH for the reaction that provided the byproduct?

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

KOH only and always

Comment

3DB, Hello. I have to do a 10/90 dropout (Warnqvist) test on my glyc washed oil. As I can glyc wash my oil multiple times with ex process glycerol there is always some conversion, so to calculate chemicals the dropout test needs to be done.

The test usually shows between 10 and 25% conversion. I do a 2 stage reaction and use a total of additional methanol of between 10.5 and 13.5%

Comment

Originally posted by gsmiley View Post
                            KOH only and always
                            Yep i find the same thing - if you let it sit for too long and cool then it will only just creep through a 1 inch hose to drain it - then once it is in your 25 litre drums it is a slow process to get it back out once it has set in there - but it will eventually drain out.

Craig
                            Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
                            210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
                            Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Comment

Working...
                            X