Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problems with 1HDT on SVO

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
    Only 870kw at the rear wheels! Pathetic. Sounds like you are determined to rev her up a bit regardless, money must be burning a hole in your pocket Dr Mark. Good luck with it.
    80kW. Not much for such a big car. No if I could get it running properly without a turbo upgrade I would, at least for now, ansd maybe upgrade the turbo layter

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 9.12.16 pm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	94641
      Ok so next pull out the pressure control valve and replace the 2 o rings, they have a silly two sided head you might have to make a tool to remove it. I have taped a 7/16 six sided socket on them to get it out. or an open end spanner if you can get to it.
      Also check the hose that goes from the intake manifold to the diaphragm on top of the pump, if its blocked or broken it will not add fuel when on boost.

Comment

Thanks. I'll have a look at it

Comment

I'd be putting an inline filter in the system, they catch a lot of stuff and have come across vehicles running vo that have problems because they don't use them. Also a push pump really helps, hope don't get many problems with my hdt engine.

I use a centrifuge for my oil and there is still junk which comes through for some reason, even after the fuge it still goes through a 5 micron filter and yet the inline filter will still get cruddy over a few thousand klms. Have also found you can get gelling in the main filter if it's not purged properly once the engine cools down.

Comment

The fact it's running on tells me it's your fuel cutoff solenoid O-rings that have failed. Everyone seems to have glossed over that one? Worth a look. Like tony says get the fuel right first. Fix the turbo later.

Comment

On some VE pumps you can remove the cut off solenoid, some you can't remove it without removing the top cover first. I have removed the top cover while the pump is on the vehicle but I would not recommend it if you are not familiar with one. The solenoid plunger may be sticking because of gumming, or brown sticky stuff from running wvo. The rubber seal at the bottom of the plunger could be rotted from bio and not sealing on its seat. This won't affect the running of the vehicle but will make stopping it difficult as the fuel can't be cut off completely. One way to tell the condition inside the pump is to remove the smoke screw and take a look at it. Before doing this measure with venier calipers exactly how far it projects from the pump. Disregard this step at your own peril.
              Johnnojack
              4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
              Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Problem solved. Clogged fuel filter. Yes, I know I'm an idiot.

Comment

We can all make mistakes, and kick ourselves for missing the simplest possible cause. So don't feel too bad, especially while we ROTFLOAO
                  Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                  '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                  '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                  '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                  '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                  '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                  '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                  '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                  '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                  '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                  '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                  '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                  '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                  Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Please tell me those running SVO, do your pumps varnish up due to oil? I do know incompletely rested oil going to bio does this so I am very interested/. Sorted that issue out now. Yjr effect of the varnish is to disrupt regulation resuting in loss of idle when tilted up hill,
                    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Probably not because the system gets flushed with dino before being turned off at night.

BTW I solved the running-on problem - turn the lift pump off......

Comment

Hi Matt
                        Mercedes 1997 250TD 3 months on bio, 3 months svo with a dash of ulp, 8 months ex sushi (low fat) wvo dried and filtered to 1um, No modification under bonnet, so far so good. Don’t know how to pull ip apart to check and not willing.
                        Considering doing a batch of bio in order to put a tank of fuel that is somewhat a SOLVENT to help keep things clean. Don’t know if this is worthwhile preventive maintenance or if it will dislodge gunk to fuel filter?
                        It’s very nice just drying and filtering wvo without playing with all those hazardous chemicals 😁
                        Harvey
                        1983 BJ42 Landcruiser (sold)
                        1997 C250TD Mercedes-Benz 60,000 km on wvo

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                          Hi Matt
                          Mercedes 1997 250TD 3 months on bio, 3 months svo with a dash of ulp, 8 months ex sushi (low fat) wvo dried and filtered to 1um, No modification under bonnet, so far so good. Don’t know how to pull ip apart to check and not willing.
                          Considering doing a batch of bio in order to put a tank of fuel that is somewhat a SOLVENT to help keep things clean. Don’t know if this is worthwhile preventive maintenance or if it will dislodge gunk to fuel filter?
                          It’s very nice just drying and filtering wvo without playing with all those hazardous chemicals 😁
                          Is your Merc a common rail?

Comment

No Mark it is a 5 cyl IDI engine with an inline IP.
                            Harvey, does your C250 have O rings in the fuel system? Be prepared to replace them at least annually. if using biodiesel, and possibly 2 yearly on WVO. They were the bane of my life on biodiesel.
                            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                              Please tell me those running SVO, do your pumps varnish up due to oil? I do know incompletely rested oil going to bio does this so I am very interested/. Sorted that issue out now. Yjr effect of the varnish is to disrupt regulation resuting in loss of idle when tilted up hill,
                              In the decades been using svo, have never had a problem with pumps varnishing, or within the fuel system. Always have an inline filter before the main and mostly after the HE, on my truck the filter is before the HE for accessibility, same in the 671GM in the boat. In the past discovered varnishing and caramelsing happen when the return line is left back to the tank. The hot oil comes in contact with the cold oil/tank walls and that seems to set things off.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mark View Post
                                Problem solved. Clogged fuel filter. Yes, I know I'm an idiot.
                                I was going to suggest this at the start of the thread, but assumed that it would have been the first thing that was checked in the process of elimination...

BTW I solved the running-on problem - turn the lift pump off......
                                Again, I assumed that the pump would have been wired up in such a way to only be on when it's needed by the veg oil solenoid or whatever switching system you have set up, or that you would at least manually turn the pump off when wanted to turn the engine off.

But I also wonder why you would want to shut the engine down whilst running on veg oil (which implies that you're not purging) given the design of your engine. You're running WVO / SVO / veg oil, not processed biodiesel, which generally requires minimal (or nil) modifications to a direct injection vehicle and driving pactices. Which brings us to:

Probably not because the system gets flushed with dino before being turned off at night.
                                Flushed at night only, as in once a day? The 1HD-T is a direct injection (DI) engine, and I'm pretty sure it uses a VE / rotary injection pump (IP). TimHJ61 and others have written about the perils of failing to diligently purge (flush) a direct injection engine with diesel after each run. Even an inderect injection (IDI) using a VE / dotray pump is a risky proposition a if you're not purging I after each run. It's pretty basic common knowledge, to be honest.

I know that Dave Jones would be proud of you for choosing to stick your middle finger up to the popular and long-held ideas surrounding veg oil myths and dogma, but maybe one should humble up and go back to basics, and read the FAQ/sticky on this very site regarding Direct Injection fuel systems.

No offence intended. I am pretty sure that you don't take things personally anyway, otherwise I wouldn't be so direct. It's just that to me, you often seem to run people and their opinions down as stupid or inferior, yet you fail to miss the obvious, very basic things... such as all of the above, even though you have been on this forum in different guides for at least 6 years (that I know of) and come across on you posts and on your website as something of an expert in this field.

Given your qualifications and confidence in your writings, I'd hate for a newbie to copy what you're doing and kill their $20,000-plus Toyota 1HD-T powered Land Cruiser. Personally, I reckon that that's what you'll soon do with yours. My opinion only though, and I am often wrong!

Note: I run my old Merc engine on basically straight WVO, sometimes with minimal blending. Everything is stock standard - only 1 tank, 1 standard fuel filter (plus the factory inline mesh filter) and no fuel heating at all. Not having a second fuel tank or associated bits, I don't (can't) purge with diesel when I turn the car off.

So maybe I'm a hypocrite in this regard... But like your old Merc, it uses an indirect (IDI) as opposed to direct injection (DI) fuel system, and uses an antique-style inline injection pump with attached factory mechanical (cam driven) lift pump. Engine seems fine still, (if a bit gutless - it had done over 300,000 km when I bought it and was gutless then) and I'm not expecting it to last, to be honest. I got the car very cheap. I would definitely NOT be doing this with a DI vehicle, nor one with a VE / rotary style injection pump - especially on such an expensive vehicle!
                                83Patrol
                                Donating Member
                                Last edited by 83Patrol; 5 October 2017, 07:31 AM.
                                1987 Mercedes W124 300D
                                1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

Working...
                                X