Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waste Glycerine in WA

Hi All
    Has anyone any ideas where I can dispose of the used glycerine waste in WA.
    I haven't been making bio for long and I am building up a stockpile of this waste. A bloke used to take the waste from my mate whom I make it with but he no longer requires it.
    Apologies if this has been covered in another topic, I am new to the forum and couldn't find a thread on it.

Re: Waste Glycerine in WA

Welcome Stanno. Depending on the type of catalyst you are using, have you considered making some soap and recovering the methanol locked in the glys. Can save you a bit over time and the soap can be made to your specifications, and flavour, with no added chemical as with commercial soaps.

Pretty sure you will find those here that will take your glys, if you were over my way would jump at the chance. I only make small amounts od BD now as a starter fuel, run everything on VO.

You can also use it as a starter for your next BD batch, there are others here who do that as well. You can recover the meth with a still.
    Alga
    Last edited by Alga; 8 October 2017, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Members of WARFA have someone who collects the drums from one member's home. We have our meeting this afternoon and I will ask for his contact details.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Alga View Post
        Depending on the type of catalyst you are using
        We are using Sodium Hydroxide and methanol with the waste oil. We currently don't want to reprocess the waste or turn it into soap or other products ourselves but just want to find someone else who may have a use for the glycerine waste to take it from us. With the warm summer weather we will make a decent amount of bio to get us through winter so will have a few 44gal drums of waste, and have a number of drums already. Happy to give away smaller quantities it that is all needed, but we can provide multiple 44 gallon drums if needed also.

cheers
        David

Comment

Hi stanno,

Originally posted by Stanno View Post
          We are using Sodium Hydroxide and methanol with the waste oil. We currently don't want to reprocess the waste or turn it into soap or other products ourselves but just want to find someone else who may have a use for the glycerine waste to take it from us. With the warm summer weather we will make a decent amount of bio to get us through winter so will have a few 44gal drums of waste, and have a number of drums already. Happy to give away smaller quantities it that is all needed, but we can provide multiple 44 gallon drums if needed also.

cheers
          David
          Another consideration is that there is biodiesel mixed in the glycerine layer.
          If you sit your sealed drums in the sun for a year or two much of this biodiesel will slowly migrate to the top of the barrel and you can then recover this "free" biodiesel.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanno View Post

cheers
            David
            David,
            I am sorry, he does not take NaOH catalysed byproduct, only KOH catalysed byproduct (used as stock feed supplement)
            Tony
            D
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

What Tilly says. After a year left out in the sun with rain kept out you will get quite a bit of biodiesel off the top.
              In the meantime talk to a commercial composter to see if they can add it to their vegetation windrows.
              Johnnojack
              4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
              Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

We do currently store our glycerol waste and tap off any bio that appears on top, but thanks for the suggestion, as I am newer to this bio processing than the bloke I make it with, and any experience I can learn here may help me.
                We may have found a contact to take our waste, will know in a week or so, but I like the idea of looking into finding a commercial composter.
                I have also been looking into agricultural uses and we may perhaps even change to KOH depending on research into this.
                thanks again for your help.

regards

Comment

Working...
                X