Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air leaks in the fuel system of my 100 series 1HZ

Re: Air leaks in the fuel system of my 100 series 1HZ

Hi Pete, where is your lift pump located? If its on the upstream side, you could move it closer to filter assembly to increase pressure at the assembly. If its on the downstream side of the filter, move it to the upstream side.
    Regards,

Cade.

2001 100 series Landcruiser
    190,000 Km and counting on B100, 280,000km total on car.
    Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.

Cut the bottom off a 2l milk container and put it under and around filter assembly before removing. I have done it in my work shirt and not spilt a drop.
    Last edited by Matt; 9th June 2012 at 02:40 PM.
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 880 series B100.
    Peugeot 306 xtdt B100, did not like B100, takes anything now
    Peugeot 2004 2L 307 HDI Does not like B100
    Bad Peugeot and their rubber seals!

Cade,
    my set up is .......tank,super cheap auto filter,electric lift pump,CAV filter then IP.I think regardless of location if you have an air leak your screwed.Till its fixed.
    Matt
    I do a similar thing when changing the filter at service time.

Cheers
    Pete
    96 Dual Cab Rodeo B100% since Jan 2011

Get rid of the inline filter, as it will be dropping the pressure at the cav filter. Cav filters are cheap anyway. If you have a higher delivery pressure at the cav filter enough to overcome the vacuum pressure of the IP, then you won't have air leaks. I found this out the hard way. Also the further the pump is away from the cav filter, the greater the flow resistance, and pressure drop.
    Regards,

Cade.

Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.

in my experience ill stick with factory filters. ryco spin on filters are good they seat perfect everytime and on a 100 series only have two points that can fail. plus you get the water warning light still which saved a mate in his patrol the other day from many hours of roadside flushing.
    If ur changing filters that often that you find the spin ons too dear your fuel quality obviously isnt up to scratch. Fleetguard are rubbish in my opinion. why do vegers like them?? because there one of the only filters without waterblock paper. im a big fan of the walbro pumps i had one on my rodeo and it was faultless for 20000kms then i had a prick of a time diagnosing a stavation issue for ages. old mate geewizztoo steered me right. i didnt realise that walbros had a filter. once i cleaned it she was good then the cav was leaking again. CAV are ok but geez they will always be my FIRST place to look for faults as i have had them fail under pressure and under vacuum where as ive never had a screw on leak from anywhere but the primer button.
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW

Rodeonick,
    I couldn't agree more with everything you said.
    Cade,
    I did take the inline filter out today to see how it goes,as it was driving gutlessly as if the fuel filter was blocked,but pulled it off and it looks brand new.

For the interested folk about filters in a CAV assembly,I've tried Delphi,fleet gaurd,Baldwin,Ryco so far.
    The best for lasting and price is Baldwin,@ $6 a filter and can get around 10000Kms per change
    Delphi I can't seem to find other than Ebay which is not the way I wanted to go.Milage I got 5000Kms ...just,but in fairness it was the first filter when I started to use Bio so I believe this is not a true indicator.
    Fleet gaurd and Ryco are crap in my opinion......
    Fleet gaurd doesnt fit into the CAV housing to start with,the OD is too big and I've tried two of them.They are about
    $9 ea and I could only get about 5000Kms and there is a noticable loss in power.
    Ryco just doesn't seal up the top,I tried and tried but It still didn't seal,it's like the filter is short cause I trighten the centre bolt up as tight with out squashing the crap out of the o ring and still didn't seal.I paid about $11 from super cheap.
    I'm sticking with Baldwin,reason I change filters every 5000Kms is I hate roadside repairs and at $6 a filter its cheap insurance.

Hope this helps someone else,wheather you agree or not about filter choice these are just my experiences.

Cheers
    Pete
    96 Dual Cab Rodeo B100% since Jan 2011

i used delphi baldwin fleetguard and ryco. all prob ok filters but the damn housing and there shitty design and seals.
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW

Oh, I meant to ask what brand the housings are that people are using, not the elements...

Sorry, I deleted my previous post as the editor wouldn't let me save my changes.
    Last edited by 83Patrol; 6th June 2012 at 12:09 AM.

So what I meant to ask was:

What brand of CAV **housings/heads** are people having trouble with? Is it brand-name ones (eg. Delphi), or generic, or all types?
    Last edited by 83Patrol; 7th June 2012 at 12:08 AM. Reason: strange editor sometimes doesn't save changes

Pete and Rodeo,

10,000km is still not a huge run, especially with a prefilter. did you reverse the fuel flow direction through the filter to increase the life of the filter or just go with the direction the arrows indicate?

I have the stock delphi filter on it at the moment, and seems all ok. I do have 2 standby baldwins, which like you suggested I bought for $6.

All I know is the stock toyota primer housing is terrible, (the filters themselves I am sure are fine) as the primer is a complete nightmare.

Another point of potential air leak on the toyota filter assembly is the drain valve on the bottom of the screw-in water sensor. That little o ring gave me some dramas in the past. I know of another fella years ago who had the exact same issue, and couldnt trace it, turned out it was the 50c oring.

You didnt mention if the car went better or not without the prefilter? It made a big difference on mine, but I was pushing through the filter, not sucking through it. (not sure if it really makes a difference, as the net result should be the same)

Bottom line is i suffered with a gutless car (litterally) for years whilst trouble shooting, and finally have it fixed. the difference is remarkable. I just removed as many restrictions to fuel flow as I could, (safely that is) and pressurised the system with a walbro to remove the possibility of air leaks. It seems logical now, and am surprised at myself for not doing it earlier.

It seems like you are doing something very similar, but if you are still getting air leaks, then your ip is pulling more fuel than the walbro is supplying, and hence you dont have a pressurised system. I took out the filter screen from my walbro completly as it will the first thing to get blocked on my system, and is a complete pain the derrier to get to. just another unnecessary restriction.
    Regards,

Cade.