Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox flush 80 series Landcruiser

Gearbox flush 80 series Landcruiser

G'day Lads,

Just checking in with the Brainstrust if thats OK. I have an 80 series Landcruiser with a bit of a sticky second gear in the Gearbox. Before I throw it at a mechanic I thought I might go to a thinner oil and an additive after a bit of research. I know there are alot of old school boys here with a tonne of knowledge so before I drop the oil and replace it can anyone give me an old school approach to a Gearbox flush??? As in product, duration of flush and revs, etc. Im going to fill her up once done with Castrol VXM-M and a nulon additive. I was helped with the engine flush by a few of the boys on here so figure there would be some thoughts on the box flush as well.

Thanks lads,

Rich.............................................

Re: Gearbox flush 80 series Landcruiser

I had a sticky 2nd gear in a manual Hiace about 15 years ago. It was worst when the gearbox was cold. Two things cured the problem.

I drained whatever oil it had (which of course was unknown as it came with it). I used 75W90, which memory says is a Mobil multigrade gearbox product.

The 2nd thing was to effectively retrain myself about gearshifting. Essentially, just get the vehicle rolling in first, then immediately select 2nd.

Both these things transformed how the van changed gear and made it a pleasure to drive.
    Hope this helps.

just changing the oil will help as oil does wear out, Ive never heard of anyone flushing a manual gearbox, and they don't really get dirty like engines. I found different types of oils can help. I used to work at toyota, and a number of corollas were very sticky and would grind easily from new. we dumped the oil and put in castrol gtx3 (which is an engine oil) and that fixed them.

I have done a little search about what oil to use in your transmission and found a site that said; "I do not currently have any gearbox problems at all (except for the standard 2nd gear issue when cold) but..." so it sounds like this is a know problem that you live with.

My musso used Dexron 2 in the manual transmission.

My Rodeo 4X4 manual specifies engine oil for the gearbox.
    96 Dual Cab Rodeo B100% since Jan 2011

Hi all,
    My 80 crunches 3rd, always has, I recently drained the oil and filled with castrol 4wd gearbox oil, I can't remember the wieght but it was the only oil repo had on the shelf for a 4wd box. The gears crunch a lot more now and it's really tight to shift when cold, when you sort it out I'd be interested to know what you did.

Hi Rider-x
    When I rebuilt the Manual transmission on my Diesel gemini I filled it up with transmission oil and had the same problem which I had never had before. So I drained the transmission oil and filled it with motor oil. Problem solved.
    I do not know why you would need a thicker oil in a transmission than in the engine.
    Musso uses Dexron 2 in their manual transmissions which is a very low viscosity Automatic Transmission fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by rider-x View Post
    Hi all,
    My 80 crunches 3rd, always has, I recently drained the oil and filled with castrol 4wd gearbox oil, I can't remember the wieght but it was the only oil repo had on the shelf for a 4wd box. The gears crunch a lot more now and it's really tight to shift when cold, when you sort it out I'd be interested to know what you did.

i agree with tilly, put some good quality thin engine oil in the trans.

You should use the correct oil in your transmission. I'm sure given the make, model and year and 10 seconds to search on google you will find what should be in there.

Oil requirments vary quite widly depending on the box in question. Mitsubishi Sigma used 3 different manual boxes in one model and yes they all used different oils.

G'day Lads,

Used VXM-M and a Nulon additive. I think it may be better but only marginally?????? After reading some of the threads I am also being more conscientious with my gear changes.

Take care lads,

Rich.............................