Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ssangyong Musso

Re: Ssangyong Musso

Adam

how goes the Musso ?
    Next year I plan to make the trip out to Camerons Corner. this is on the Qld / NSW and NT borders.
    A group of mates and work mates have put together a trip with half a dozen vehicles so I thought why not but I want to do it on Veg and Bio. much to the humour of my work mates.

If you have any feedback on the Musso I'd really appreciate it as I'm now starting to look at changing my ML270 to a ute.
    The Mazda and Ford varient of Courier/Bravo up to 2006 look good as well as the 2005/2006 Musso sport.

what I really want to do is make this trip on little or no Dino at all.
    I'd love to have a 1999 Nissan Patrol 2.8 litre 6 but because I spend most of my day with work driving around Brisbane city and suburbs it isn't very practical.

Michael
    97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
    2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
    2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
    2015 NP300 Navara

Stainless processor with blue water pump.

Hi Michael,
    It depends on what you want.
    The 2.9 Musso is exactly an IDI Mercedes Diesel with the Bosch inline IP. The "gold Standard" for alternate fuel.
    " With some Mercedes-Benz 250D/E250D diesels exceeding 500,000 or 1,000,000 miles, it is considered to be one of the most reliable engines ever produced, a success which is only comparable with the famous OM617 engine"
    The early Musso's even used engines imported from Germany before the German Mercedes Technicians had the Korean engine line up and running.

The Turbo version installed in the Daewoo Musso Suv's and the subsequent Ssangyong Musso Utilities is rated at 88kw. Most people would find this only barely adequate. When towing heavy loads you know it.
    The non-turbo version is rated at 70kw, but this engine is only in the earlier Ssangyong SUV's.

My 2006 Musso ute that I bought new now has about 217,000 km and and it sounds and runs like a new engine. About 215,000km of that has been on biodiesel.
    At one stage I was mixing 1/3 WVO with 2/3 biodiesel and even in the winter the engine ran perfectly with no indication that I was mixing WVO into the fuel.
    Eventually I went back to B100 because the difference in cost was negligible and I thought "just in case".

Other than glow plugs, I have had no problems with the engine and I am looking forward to seeing just how many km the engine will eventually amass before requiring major repairs.
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 15th June 2013 at 10:05 PM.

Tilly

Thanks for your feedback. This vehicle I believe with a few minor changes will produce about 20 extra KW.

again thank you.

Michael
    2015 NP300 Navara

As far as the fuel system goes, they're basically the same as the old Merc's.

I've lost count of how many times I've parked my Musso's (I've had a few) for hours - and also days, weeks, even months - with anything up to 100% WVO still in the IP & lines and it's fired to life (except for the times there's been solids in the filter, then a quick filter change has fixed it).

Not a recommended practice on any vehicle, I know, but it shows how robust they are.

Bio, blends, 100% WVO - even in cool temps with no heat exchanger... the fuel systems in these process it all with ease (as long a the usual precautions in regards to water, etc. are taken.)
    1987 Mercedes W124 300D
    1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Hi Michael,
    On the Australian Ssangyong forum there is a thread or two that details some simple modifications that can increase power. I have only made one minor change with the view to increasing engine longevity and not increasing power.

The Musso Ute would be one of the last all mechanical injection diesels sold in Australia. NO COMPUTER!!!

I am amused to just read on one website that they are selling a "Power Chip" that increases the Musso's power from 88kw to a massive 108kw.
    It only takes between 1 to three hours to install and costs a very reasonable $1295.
    Considering the Musso does not have a computer controlling the engine I wonder where the chip goes.
    Or it might be a potato chip.

Yep Musso is going well. I ended up getting a auto 2006 with 70kms for 10K - good value me thinks

It is a great vehicle and tows a compact (trek offroad) camper trailer easily.
    It is not really a offroad vehicle but is fine on rough tracks and gravel roads.

It does not have heaps of power but I am not drag racing or towing a 3 tonne caravan around Australia with it!
    As a general run around and occasionally a work ute it is fine, comfortable and easy to drive.
    I have added cruise control and a turbo timer - which it should have had from new.It has been running on SVO for some time - and I have forgotten to purge the system and it still started a few days later..

Makes me think I should buy another one and put it away in a shed for ten years

Even SWMBO likes it - although does not like the fact that it is a ute... Might buy her a Merc sedan with the same engine.

Safe cruising

Adam
    1980 Mercedes 300TD 2 tank setup mainly using SVO and some WVO
    1987 Toyota Landcruiser, 2 tank setup mainly using WVO
    2006 Musso Sports - SVO two tank, stock dino, 140lt veggie

Thanks Adam
    I guess I look around at what comes up.

michael
    2015 NP300 Navara

Hi guys, I'm currently driving a 88' 60 (2H with aftermarket turbo)series cruiser wagon which has a dual tank conversion. Its a great rig for towing but ready to go and be replaced with something more comfy and (cough) automatic.

So the towing is all 2wd work with 2 tons total behind of rally car on trailer. Is a 2wd 05/06 Musso dual cab going to do this OK? Auto or manual? I really would like a automatic because most of the driving is in the city. Very interested in experiences with the Musso towing big loads.

Cheers, Aaron

Me thinks it would not be up to the task, power or weight wise. There are heaps of promotions for twincabs that claim that you "could" tow 2-3.5 tonnes, behind but you are going to pull the backside out of it! You should match the towing vehicle weight to what is being towed!
    So maybe a landcruiser or Patrol would be best.(plenty in autos)

I once went in a Rodeo that was towing a 3 tonne fifth wheeler, could do it but is was working very hard and I do not think it was sustainable or safe.
    I would not want buy that vehicle secondhand - it would be buggered after 100,000kms.... Friend of mine bought a (4 cylinder) Jackeroo that died because PO had towed a 2.5tonne caravan around Australia - he did not realise that it had a huge tow bar/link and big break system installed.
    1980 Mercedes 300TD 2 tank setup mainly using SVO and some WVO
    1987 Toyota Landcruiser, 2 tank setup mainly using WVO
    2006 Musso Sports - SVO two tank, stock dino, 140lt veggie

towing with a Musso ute

Take your point...and definitely don't want to get into something that's not up to the job. Wouldn't be more than a 2200kg tow about a dozen times a year.

Brakes, cruiser disc and drum - bloody woeful VS musso 4 wheel discs with ABS has to be an improvement
    The kerb weights are the same (1925kg cruiser VS 1951kg musso ute)
    Wheel base is the same (2730mm cruiser VS 2755mm musso ute)
    Power outputs are a bit down on the Musso VS turbo 2H but I'm sure this could be at least partly rectified with a good exhaust and tune up?

Still not convinced? Neither am I yet!

Cheers, Aaron.