Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ssangyong Musso

Re: Ssangyong Musso

It would be interesting to compare the mounting flanges.
    Anyone got an IP from a Musso Sports handy?
    I can photograph and measure my OM617 IP mounting flange.

I have read somewhere that a Musso engine and transmission was installed in a 300D, but I can't recall when or where I read it.
    Getting older has its disadvantages!
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 19th June 2018 at 01:21 AM.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

I did notice the pump on the musso, has a lot more electronic crap on the outside of it, and the vehicle has a factory RFID immobilizer, so some research would have to be done on how to bypass the immobilizer system.

Hi smithw,
    Quote Originally Posted by smithw View Post
    ...so some research would have to be done on how to bypass the immobilizer system.
    The immobilizer is a fuel cutoff valve.
    I removed mine about 5 years ago- Just on spec.

If I remember correctly, the fuel line runs from the fuel filter to the immobilizer and the immobilizer is screwed into the side of the IP with a fuel banjo bolt.
    Disconnect the electrical wire.
    Remove the immobilizer from the side of the IP by removing the fuel line going to the immobilizer and unscrewing the banjo fitting running through the immobilizer into the side of the IP.
    Install an appropriate fuel banjo hose barb in the side of the IP where the immobilizer was screwed in. Join the new banjo fuel fitting to he fuel filter with a longer fuel hose and you are finished.
    As I recall, you can re-use the banjo fitting on fuel filter.

Very quick and easy and no more immobilizer to go bad at a very inconvenient time.
    And no one wants to steal Musso's.
    You can even have extra keys cut. If I am not mistaken, they are Daewoo key blanks

EDIT
    I just located my immobilizer.
    I see the banjo bolt running through the immobilizer that holds it onto the IP is of the tamper-proof variety. It is the big flat round thing on the side of the immobilizer.
    You will need to use vice grips or a chisel to turn the banjo bolt. I do not recall it being any problem to remove.

I see I also left the fuel line connected to the immobilizer and removed the top banjo fitting that screws into the fuel filter to remove the immobilizer.
    I then slit the plastic fuel line to remove fuel filter banjo from the hose attached to the immobilizer so I could re-use that banjo on the fuel filter.
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 19th June 2018 at 10:28 PM.

Tilly, Even easier: All you need is a bit of fuel hose and a pair of Jubilee clamps to suit

• Remove the fuel line from the fuel filter to the immobiliser
    • Remove immobiliser from IP,
    • Screw the hose barb into the IP
    • Join the fuel filter hose barb to the immobiliser hose barb using fuel hose and jubilee clamps.
    • Bleed the fuel system and start the engine.

Done!

Edit: The immobiliser valve banjo bolt is easy to remove. Just turn the immobiliser valve body anticlockwise using multigrips. This will loosen the security banjo bolt. Then use the multigrips to remove the bolt. Easy peasy.
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 20th June 2018 at 10:11 PM.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Hi Tony,

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    Tilly, Even easier: All you need is a bit of fuel hose and a pair of Jubilee clamps to suit

• Remove the fuel line from the fuel filter to the immobiliser
    • Remove immobiliser from IP,
    • Screw the hose barb into the IP
    • Join the fuel filter hose barb to the immobiliser hose barb using fuel hose and jubilee clamps.
    • Bleed the fuel system and start the engine.

Done!
    I think that is about what I said, only in more detail.
    I did omit saying to buy two jubilee clamps to clamp the new fuel line- but that is pretty obvious and you need to let people figure out some of these things for themselves.
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 19th June 2018 at 10:40 PM.

Sounds easy enough, i know the the 405 pug with a mechanical pump is a bit more involved, there is a cover on the back of the pump that has to be cut off and it not something you can do easily while its fitted to the engine.
    I removed the CAT on my musso, and took it for a drive didn't seem to make any differences to the lack of power which is disappointing. I pull off the EGR and found it has already been blanked off. Its running on B100 now so hopefully Ill get some time in the weekend to do a few more repairs, and turn the fuel up.