Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ssangyong Musso

Re: towing with a Musso ute

My daughter was into horse events a few years back. The first tow vehicle we had was a non-turbo Musso. Very slow but did the job. We took it all over the region.
    Then I got the 06 turbo Musso with automatic. Better at the job, but still there is only 88kw of power available so you do not necessarily keep up with traffic.
    Now she is into dogs and has her own brand new Triton dual cab diesel.

Because it's lineage is from an SUV, the rear seats of the Musso are absolutely spacious compared to most dual cabs. This means the pickup tub is small compared to other dual cabs. Over-all the ride is much better than any other dual cab I have ridden in, but nowhere near the comfy ride my wife's falcon has.

Re: Ssangyong Musso

The Musso looks to lack clearance. Has anyone seen any suspensions lifted a few inches?
    Thanks Bruce

Have a look at the Ssangyong forum
    http://www.ssangyongownersclubofaustralia.org
    1980 Mercedes 300TD 2 tank setup mainly using SVO and some WVO
    1987 Toyota Landcruiser, 2 tank setup mainly using WVO
    2006 Musso Sports - SVO two tank, stock dino, 140lt veggie

I have the chance to get a 1997 Musso SUV to a rather affordable price, are there any do's or don'ts with these vehicles? Its got over 300.000 km on it,

Thanks guys
    1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)
    1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HZ engine both 75l factory tanks and a custom 170l under tray tank.
    200.000km 80% on bio 10% on WVO 10% on dino,

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Is it the one in Coff's? Looks pretty good if it is.Does it have a turbo? If it does, it will be an aftermarket (maybe dealer fitted) one, as they didn't come out with factory turbo until 1998, as far as I know.Some things to look at:If it's a non-turbo model, check that it's not too slow for your liking - especially if you plan on doing any towing with it.Check the transmission if it's an auto, as they can be expensive to rebuild, partly because the engine sump has to be removed to gain access to some of the transmission torque converter bolts - a lot of labour. Check the 4WD operation as they can have issues with the actuator/elec motor that selects range. Check the operation of the vacuum locking hubsUpper control arm bushes at the front are often chopped out, but are cheap to buy.Handbrake is often useless.Also, many of the Musso's I've seen have had some shonky repairs/mod's done to the vacuum system, possibly in an attempt to solve/hide some problems.Check that it shuts down as soon as you turn the key off. If it doesn't, it indicates issues with the vacuum system and/or the shut-off device on the IP (it's controlled by vacuum). If it doesn't it's usually a simple fix.DO: Run it on WVO/bio without fearPS. I have some goodies for this model if you end up buying one such as TJM long range tank (can use it in conjunction with the factory one so easy 2-tank system), rear Kaymar spare wheel carrier, etc.
    1987 Mercedes W124 300D
    1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Other considerations,
    I had a 96 manual Musso. The gearshift mechanism is the most amazing thing I have ever seen- not in a good way.
    The transmission is only bolted to the engine with 4 bolts. I had a crack high up in the transmission case which may have been partly the result of this.
    Other than leaking transmission oil It was not a problem. I got very efficient at checking and filling the transmission at any time or place.

The 2wd- 4wd- high range-low range shifting is electric. I had electrical wire contact problems that always made this very iffy. Again just crawl under the car and move the wires around going into the transmission usually fixed it. Of course if the car would not go into High range and you were 2500km form home...

Check the rear Diff oil. My diff crapped out on me in WA (A very long way from home) and cost a lot of money to have replaced. About what they seem to want for the one in Coffs harbour if you pick it up at the airport when they fly out.

Apparently the vacuum shift on the front hubs is a problem. There is no way to tell whether your hubs are really engaged until you become bogged. Mine had manually locking hubs installed by the previous owner. They worked fine.

The Car has central locking. It will randomly lock at anytime. NEVER NEVER NEVER leave the keys in the car with the windows up and shut all the doors. That is when it will self lock, guaranteed.

A small "quirck" with this IP is that over time as in years, at idle, the engine will often start running "loppy". This is a known problem and there is a factory "fix" which consists of a magnet installed in a certain position on the IP. Or you can live with it as I did.
    I have not yet experienced this on my "new" musso

Other than that, I would have another one if I did not have my Musso dual cab. I would rather have one with a turbo.
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 31st July 2013 at 10:26 PM.

I know this is an old thread, Ive just been looking at a 2005 muso, 200kms and $1700 I hope to pick it up on Tuesday, and run it on B100. It seemed a little gutless when i drove it, so I will delete the EGR, and the cat if it has one. Anyways its seems like a great buy, quite tidy apart form the tub which is beat up, I think ill replace it if I can find a cheap one. Its also got a few extras, air bag suspension in the back, roof rack ,canopy tow bar, stupid side step running board things... in case you want passengers riding on the outside of the car . Sounds like you can turn the fuel up on the pump, so Ill have to research how to do that, or just put up with it being a bit slow. Has anyone turned the fuel up on there Merc engine?

I have a Musso 2006 Sports (what a joke)
    I also found it to be somewhat underpowered. I did some research on the IP adjustments and found this page: http://www.ssangyongclub.co.uk/forum...iesel-tuning/&
    I cranked mine up a bit, but left the turbo waste gate settings alone because these engines are known to have an issue with head gasket failure. Increased induction pressure, in my opinion, may increase the likelihood of this happening.
    I now have a responsive diesel engine which can overtake cars doing 100Km/h, getting to 120 and passing them easily.
    There is a Musso sports in WA for sale at $3500, but I am a bit wary of the seller's story (not that I wanted to buy it).
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

thanks tony there's is some great info on that site, did you just turn up the full load screw, or did you adjust the timing and ALDA screw as well.

I turned up the ALDA a bit to get off the mark before turbo spooled up.
    I cranked Max Fuel up by half a turn
    and I reset the idle down again to idle at around 800 RPM (a bit high though) and will reduce the idle to 700RPM when I get time.
    I did not tough the IP timing at all.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts