Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ssangyong Musso

Re: Ssangyong Musso

Hi and thanks again Tony.
    I had a couple more questions, is the thermostat in the top hose or the bottom hose? And i have an oil leak coming out of the back of the head near the exhaust , it doesn't appear to be the rocker cover, is that the usual place for them to leak? or does it have something else in that location ive missed that leaks.
    thanks

The oils leaks probably your head gasket, get it sorted before you blow it!!! Ask me how i know....
    Last edited by Grampiansmerc; 16th June 2018 at 11:26 PM.
    1980 Mercedes 300TD 2 tank setup mainly using SVO and some WVO
    1987 Toyota Landcruiser, 2 tank setup mainly using WVO
    2006 Musso Sports - SVO two tank, stock dino, 140lt veggie

Hi smithw,

Quote Originally Posted by smithw View Post
    I had a couple more questions, is the thermostat in the top hose or the bottom hose?
    I have changed my thermostat and could not remember where it is.
    I just had a look and I am pretty sure it is on the side of the engine near the turbo and it connects to the bottom hose. It looks like the temperature gauge sensor is located at the same place

SmithW, as Tilly has written, the thermostat is in the side of the engine. I do not recall which side of the radiator this is, but it is unlikely the the temperature gauge sender would be located at the coolest point in the engine cooling system.

Treat the oil leak from the rear of the engine as a threat of engine failure

This is the weak spot of the Musso engines (also of the MB140 van which uses the same engine)

BE WARNED!
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

I agree - I had a Musso ute go the same way too.
    1987 Mercedes W124 300D
    1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

According to the workshop manual I downloaded last night, The temperature sensor is next to the thermostat.

In the below diagram 11 is the thermostat and no 18 is the temperature sensor

https://www.catcar.info/ssangyong/?l...RlPT0yMA%3D%3D
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 17th June 2018 at 12:29 PM.

Ok thanks everyone that's quite helpful, looks like ill be pulling the head off at some stage. I got the ute cheap an I knew it had a few issues before i bought it, just another thing to put on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by smithw View Post
    Ok thanks everyone that's quite helpful, looks like ill be pulling the head off at some stage. I got the ute cheap an I knew it had a few issues before i bought it, just another thing to put on the list.
    Do it now!! Dont wait. I took mine to a mechanic 3 times to figure out the oil weeping at the back of the engine but they failed to figure it out. Finally it blew, didnt go back to that mechanic - as it buggered the engine...
    1980 Mercedes 300TD 2 tank setup mainly using SVO and some WVO
    1987 Toyota Landcruiser, 2 tank setup mainly using WVO
    2006 Musso Sports - SVO two tank, stock dino, 140lt veggie

Thanks Gramplansmerc, Im not driving the ute around just fixing a few issues so I will get to the head gasket eventually. The tubs beat up, it needs new shocks and a couple of ball joints, Its soo gutless, but apparently they are only 88kw , so I will be adjusting the IP. It was never going to be my daily driver just something to take on holiday or weekends. I was look for an older Merc but this came up cheap... so if i don't like it Ill sell it and get my money back. So what happened when the engine blew, did it dump all the oil out the head, or something else?

Hi all,

Not wanting to derail / hijack the thread here but I've often wondered whether the 5-cylinder OM602 (?) from the Musso would easily adapt to the the Mercedes W123 chassis as a replacement for a blown OM617.

Similarly, would the ALDA IP from a Musso have any interchangeability with the OM617 so that I might have boost compensation on my fuel delivery.
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)