Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ssangyong Musso

Ssangyong Musso

I looked at another members Ssanyong (Musso) on the weekend. I am interested in this sort of vehicle especially as it has a Mercedes derived diesel engine. Can anyone tell me if they have converted one to SVO (none in the "Vehicles Converted" sticky)

What are the good models etc. any bad years/models.....
    Manual, auto and turbo issues?

Thanks heaps

Adam
    1980 Mercedes 300TD 2 tank setup mainly using SVO and some WVO
    1987 Toyota Landcruiser, 2 tank setup mainly using WVO
    2006 Musso Sports - SVO two tank, stock dino, 140lt veggie

Re: Ssangyong Musso

What sort of pumps do they run?
    Are they electronicly controlled at all? If Not, you should be safe.
    The turbo merc engines are easy and reliable to turn the wicks right up and get some decent power out of the things. I know there is a very conservative attitude amongst the Veg crowd but others are getting some impressive performance out of the things. It would be nice to have something with a bit of poke for overtaking and towing rather than just slothing along everywhere.
    Anyone know what series of engines the Mussos Run?

Might have a look at one of these myself if they are viable.
    I was thinking of an ML Merc but I have heard a bit about reliability issues with those on things other than the engines and running gear.

Adam

Sounds like a good choice.the 2.9 litre sounds like a great choice.
    Search this forum for anything Fitian has converted. He even has photos.
    I have the 2.7 litre ML but run on Bio. I love it and wouldn't make any changes. Good luck and I'm sure someone will post something positive regarding the ssangyong as its a good string machine having the IDI merc motor.

Michael
    97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
    2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
    2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
    2015 NP300 Navara

Stainless processor with blue water pump.

The Musso 2.9 uses the Bosh inline injector pump

They run virtually exactly the same engine and fuel system as the W201 190D and W124 300D, and same fuel system as the W123 diesels.

Not much needed to convert, and very forgiving on WVO due to the inline pump and indirect injection.

Have a look at the UK Ssangyong onwers club site Ssangyong Owners Club - there are heaps of people running them there on veg oil with minimal/no conversions. Also a few on SsangYong 4WD Club Of Australia Inc. Forum • Index page

PS. Thanks for the oil - the amount supplied you got us to Adelaide + about 150km of extra driving around there.

Oh, and as for fuel consumption, got 7L per 100km on the trip form Melbourne to Ararat...
    1987 Mercedes W124 300D
    1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

They sound perfect!
    7l/ 100 out of a vehicle that size is amazing even if you were driving it like an old woman.

I was looking on youtube and saw some vids of some Diesel mussos that were doing very well drag racing with nothing more than a bigger turbo and pump.
    They seem to run bigger pump plungers but I think there would be some well worthwhile gains just by maxing the turbo or the pump out, whatever reached it's limits first.

I was wondering what engines they had. They specify an om 662 I think it was which is the musso copy. I'll look more for performance mods for the original series benz and see whats been done.

Australia really is so incredibly backwards when it comes to Diesels. Even the Yanks are ahead of us which is pretty shameful.
    It would be very cool to have a fast Diesel, especially one you could run for next to nothing.

Yes... when I got 7L/100km I didn't go much over 80km/h, sometimes less. Still, I think it's pretty good for a 2-tonne almost-truck.

Ye, OM662 in the 2.9L diesels here (Mercedes OM602 built under licence in Korea - same as in the Mercedes MB140D vans that are also built by Ssangyong).

Quite a few performance mods are listed on the two Ssangyong sites listed. It's said that Ssangyong detuned them a bit, mainly to reduce the diesel clatter so as to appeal a bit more to the sensibilities of the intended market, and once a few screws are turned back the right way they go much better.

Not 100% sure, but I think forum member Lozzer has done the mods on his turbo ute (same engine).

As mentioned before, Fitian has converted at least one. Mine runs fine without a conversion, although I think I'm pushing it a bit by leaving WVO in the fuel system overnight so often. For the lazier ones amongst us, given the robust fuel system, I think they'd run fine with a conversion that's somewhere in between Fitian's conversion style and the Dave Jones minimalist approach
    Last edited by 83Patrol; 23rd July 2012 at 09:58 PM.
    1987 Mercedes W124 300D
    1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Gday . i have converted and driven my musso on vegoil with great success. It has sometimes been given some dodgy oil where it has blocked filters
    and even to the piont where i have had to bypass every thing and it still runs on veg , great cars.

Pete

Not so long ago it seemed that the choice of vehicle that could run Veg or Bio was extremely limited.
    Thankfully some people have tried different makes and there now seems a good variety of Modern vehicles a vegger can choose from.
    I'm looking at 3 at least and having a hard time deciding which one to go for.

Peter

If I had my time again I'd look at a VW Caddy or Nissan Navara 3.2 litre D22 ute or the 2002 Mazda Bravo ute or the ford look alike.
    Certainly the Musso looks like rock steady vehicle that nothing will break.
    even the 2.8 litre mitsubishi pajero or triton would be a good choice if you could find a tidy one.

Sorry but there is a lot to choose from. I know I run Bio but I did a lot of research on WVO vehicles before deciding to run B100 and found that there was a wide range of vehicles to choose from.
    I'd imagine that every year though the choice will be limited again simply by age. it's a shame nobody builds a merc engine like the old W124. I'd have 1 in a new ute straight away.

Good Luck

Michael
    97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
    2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
    2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
    2015 NP300 Navara

Stainless processor with blue water pump.