Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Heat, Anyone using it ?

Exhaust Heat, Anyone using it ?

Just wondering if anyone is using exhaust heat to warm their oil rather than the usual coolant heat?
    If so, can you describe what you have done and the results?

Re: Exhaust Heat, Anyone using it ?

The topic has been brought up quite a few times on this forum.
    A common view is that exhaust heat is difficult to control whereas coolant heat is completely stable at about 85c.
    I put a thermocouple on header pipe to monitor the temps and they were eratic.
    From memory it was over 500c at the peak, climbing steep hills.

I thought someone might have been using it especially given it's winter and all. Exhaust heat would certainly come on a lot quicker than coolant heat.

Controlling the heat is perhaps the most pressing problem to overcome. Some kind of thermostat would be necessary to keep the veg in the zone.
    It'd be disaster to subject it to anything even close to 500c. Perhaps, though, a gate valve that can direct the exhaust gases through a H/E with a thermostat that controls the gate opening.

But you don't have to take all of heat generated and there is a cold stream of oil flowing.
    Just like with coolant, the output temp of the oil is not the same temp as the coolant.

I think practical use is a lot different to theoretical beliefs.

One of the issues pointed out in an old thread was the fact that the oil flow is very very low especially if the return is looped.

So what you have is a very very small flow of hot oil dropped into a large chunk of icy cold metal (the IP), which is going to cool the oil off very fast.

Once the engine has warmed up a bit, as in coolant temp rising the IP will also be warming up, so you don't have that problem.

Peter1,
    Please try it out and report back on the results of your experiment.
    We have only thought about it, never actually modifying our vehicles to verify our theories.

We look forward to hearing your results.

You stated in your last post that "Just like with coolant, the output temp of the oil is not the same temp as the coolant. "
    I disagree, in tests I performed some years ago, a 20 plate FPHE using coolant from the heater circuit stayed within 10 deg C of the coolant temperature while the engine was warming up and then stayed within +/- 5 Deg C while the car was driven in traffic. There were times that the fuel temperature exceeded the coolant temperature (when the engine was slowing from speed) and times where the oil temperature was below the coolant temperature (accelerating after deceleration). In general the oil temperature was within 1 Deg C of the coolant temperature during steady driving or moderate acceleration.
    The goal was to aim for coolant temperatures to be applied to the oil to make it have a viscosity similar to that of diesel.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

I take my hat off to anyone who will give things a proper go!
    The challenge for you, is to come up with a workable solution that makes a meaningful difference and really helps people.

I don't recall what vehicle you have but 500ml fuel line throughput is what a Hilux/Hiace relies on. This is because much of the fuel gets returned to the tank.
    So base your heating equation on that volume as a starting point.

Please keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    Peter1,
    Please try it out and report back on the results of your experiment.
    We have only thought about it, never actually modifying our vehicles to verify our theories.

We look forward to hearing your results.
    Like most things in veg, it seems someone comes up with a theory and everyone takes it as gospel without ever doing any experimentation to find out what the realities are.
    Frankly, I'm beginning to wonder if anyone actually does and tries anything new in this game or they think it's already all been figured out and there is nothing more to learn?

I have read all the claptrap about high temps and variation and all the rest of it but there seems to be whole range of things not taken into account in the theory that practical application just doesn't gell with.

You stated in your last post that "Just like with coolant, the output temp of the oil is not the same temp as the coolant. "
    I disagree, in tests I performed some years ago, a 20 plate FPHE using coolant from the heater circuit stayed within 10 deg C of the coolant temperature while the engine was warming up and then stayed within +/- 5 Deg C while the car was driven in traffic. There were times that the fuel temperature exceeded the coolant temperature (when the engine was slowing from speed) and times where the oil temperature was below the coolant temperature (accelerating after deceleration). In general the oil temperature was within 1 Deg C of the coolant temperature during steady driving or moderate acceleration.
    The goal was to aim for coolant temperatures to be applied to the oil to make it have a viscosity similar to that of diesel.
    Soooo, the temps weren't' the same right?
    I understand the variation may be small in difference between the 2 fluids and the stability may also close however the point is that these differences exist and can be exploited in greater percentage to get a desirable outcome with exhaust heat.

Anyway, I was just interested to know if anyone else had set this up and what approach they had taken. I'm amazed and dissapointed there aren't more people out there testing the beliefs of unknown origin and developing the systems and ways of using veg better and more efficently.
    Last edited by peter1; 7th August 2012 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbird650 View Post
    The challenge for you, is to come up with a workable solution that makes a meaningful difference and really helps people.
    Honestly T-bird, I can't see the point anymore.

Seems to me people in the veg community are close minded and brainwashed into believing crap that is wrong, but the majority are too chicken Chit not only to try something themselves and take a risk, but also completely close minded to new ideas even when someone else does the leg work and comes up with the conclusions and answers.

I can well see that this is one of those things people are brainwashed into believing a certain thing on and trying to change those misconceptions is an exercise in futility. I could write chapter and verse on what I have done and found on numerous things but the people who have never done anything but follow the brainwash theroys are never going to believe it, try it or apply it. What they will do is argue completely untested theroy with someone that is doing what they are arguing against and may have been doing it for some time.

They have already made their minds up and nothing will change them.