Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best blend thinner discussion

Re: Best blend thinner discussion

The result was a surprise. I was convinced that the 2 samples, both of which were bought fresh 5 months apart, would exhibit distinctly different IBP.
    The fact that the IBP tested identical, presents the possibility that the compositions don't vary between seasons.

For the benefit of blenders, please test your local ULP and report here. A test can be as simple as heating a glass jar of ULP using hot water. Monitor with a thermometer and keep adding hot water till bubbles appear. The info could be invaluable. For example when comparing ULP blend practices, a recommendation could vary if IBP was pegged at a different point.
    Last edited by tbird650; 21st February 2013 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter1 View Post
    From Veg oil I am able to produce a product that will burn in an open container like petrol from it's own vapors. I intend to use this as a thinning agent for my WVO although there is a light diesel fraction that is easy to produce as well. If all the veg were processed this way, the output would be a light diesel substance that would not require thinning at all and be perfectly clean with no additional processing, drying etc. I have my prototype working well now and have just upscaled to a setup to produce 50L batches. This should take an hour or so of hands on time.
    Hi Peter,
    I realize that it's a long time since you posted this post, but would you be so kind as to elaborate on exactly how you're processing wvo to produce light fuels...... are you pyrolizing and condensing the vapours, if so, what percentage of output do you achieve and at what condenser temp and primary retort temp,......are you using catalyst and/or reflux chamber?
    Sorry, lots of questions, but I'd like to have a go. I don't much like chemical reactions because you're relyant on somebody else for the chemicals, and it's easy for big brother to shut off the supply.

Regards

Cotton Top.

Hi Cotton Top

Hopefully Peter will respond with the info. It's been a few months since he last posted.

I'm planning on testing wvo in my prolysis machine. The hope is that it will crack to lighter fractions in the same way that hydocarbons do.
    No doubt you have seen my blog. I'll be updating there so keep an eye out.

Hi tbird650,

I'd love to view your updates on your blog BUT, I have absolutely no idea what that means, or how to access it, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I presume that "tbird650" refers to a Triumph motorcycle,.......what year?

Regards,

Rob.

Cotton Top, sorry I should have given the address earlier.
    Fuel from waste oil & plastic DIY

Re the bike. Yes I've had a '61 Tbird once upon a time. Now I have numerous bikes including a '74 Trident, '41 Indian amongst others but the bike that's been taking all my time over the last few years is a '73 Bonneville dragbike. There's another blog on that, which is itself another story...
    Triumph Bonneville 750 Nostalgia Drag Bike Excalibur

tbird , cottontop ,
    you may be brave enough to try " cracking" plastics and risk exposure to lethal , persistant chemicals ( PCB's PAH's ) ,
    but PLEASE keep clear of the neighbours !
    . . . . and remember , your neighbours include all lifeforms on this planet .