Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first time water washing

first time water washing

here arre a few pics of my bio diesel gone from a horse pee type colour. I washed in cubies + water went through to bottom after pouring cubies through a 1 micron filter its gone an orange juice colour again

check pics on my profile page

http://www.facebook.com/courier.lightremovals

Moderator note - alifreddy's first posting was moderated as he put a link in, and it got caught up in the automatic spam traps. I have checked the link and it is to his Facebook page. There are a set of photo's there of bio. It appears legitimate. the link to the photos direct is https://www.facebook.com/courier.lig.../photos_stream

Alifreddy - Welcome to this Australian board.
    Last edited by Tim-HJ61; 10th December 2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Mod edit and approval

Re: first time water washing

alifreddy,
    As I do not have a facebook account, I cannot view your images.
    If you can use an image hosting site (photobucket.com is one) then use the "IMG" tagged link, pasted into your post to display the images.
    As you are a newcomer, the post will be moderated and will result in a delay (<24 hours) before the post will be approved by a moderator.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    2000 Ford Courier Crew Cab 2.5L Turbodiesel on Blended veggie oil.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

This is perfectly normal when you have wet bio - you now need to go through a dryiing process (how many water washes have you done ?)

Take a small amount - say 250ml and put it in an open top jar - put it in your microwave and put it on for a minute or so - take it out and stir it gently - keep doing this and you should start to see the bio clear as the water boils out of the mixture - make sure you do not have free water trapped at the bottom when doing this

This will show you that your BIO is OK as the water evaporates out.

Once this is proven to be OK then you need to bubble dry and apply gentle heat to your full batch

Craig
    Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
    210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
    Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Thumbs up Re: first time water washing

I got the same results in my second effort. I did mine in mason jars and failed miserably with the first aggressively shaken one that turned into a frothy tan goo. Second effort mild tilting after a slow water addition made a much better result. The first effort sat for a few days and there was just a little separation so I hit the internet for a fix. Found that if salt is added and shaken again it would separate. *** Note*** the salt added cleared it right up and provided real separation. Now I am no chemist and I do not know what the salt does to the Biodiesel other than making the goo clear up.

In a small methyl biodiesel batch, I got the milk looking water/ biodiesel with aggressive shaking in a separatory funnel. I had about 300 milliliters biodiesel, 200 milliliters distilled water, that formed the emulsion. I added 10 grams of sodium chloride (table salt), then shook the separatory funnel, and the emulsion broke, separation occurred. I washed twice with the salt water then twice with distilled water. After washing twice with salt water, the emulsion didn't occur. After the methanol was mostly removed with the water washing it seemed to help get separation by using hot water to wash with. I expect the initial salt water washes remove enough soap so the emulsion doesn't happen later. But washing with salt water probably puts salt into the biodiesel, that needs to be removed later, somehow.

Hi wesley
    Quote Originally Posted by WesleyB View Post
    I washed twice with the salt water then twice with distilled water... After the methanol was mostly removed with the water washing
    After 4 water washes do you think there was still a significant amount of methanol remaining in the biodiesel.

But washing with salt water probably puts salt into the biodiesel, that needs to be removed later, somehow.
    Thaqt is always something I have wondered about. I am told that salt does not dissolve in biodiesel. If that is the case how much salt will be in salt water washed and dried biodiesel?

With 2 salt water then 2 on salted water washes,
    Should any salt remain in the wash tank from washes 21 and 2, it would be significantly diluted in the third and fourth washes.

Don't forget to dry your biodiesel before use.

Happy New Year,

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    2000 Ford Courier Crew Cab 2.5L Turbodiesel on Blended veggie oil.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Thanks to all for the input on the salt adding to wash. I am not about to taste anything to tell if there is salt remaining ha ha. I am going to run a generator motor on this result. After drying, I see deposits that are white in the bottom of my jar, Salt? I will not use that portion. SOme folks make this process sound easy, I will continue to struggle till I get it. Helps to have helpful folks to discuss especially for a newb.

Next time try to just put a bubblier in the tank and bubble it for 5 days or so.. as soon as the methanol is gone the crap will drop to the bottom. filter and use... then when that does not work for you, try water (if you must) but do it in small containers until you know how it will come out rather than ending up with a BIG mess...

I have made close to 30,000litres and most of it has been dry bubble washed my 80 has done 150,000 plus kms on it and no dramas 3/27 pH tests all good... I use to water wash and I will never go back to that it is just a massive waste of time and resources IMHO....

BTW that last pic tells me it looks fine just needs to dry out - put the jar into the microwave when the mrs isn't looking and give it a little spin or put it in the sun and it will clear up....

Why did you decide water washing was the go? Did you read that... personally I think water washing is a great way to learn,,, but a big waste as I have already said.... I have water washed bubbled sprayed you name it but will never go back to that time wasting back breaking chore...

I now recover 50% of the unused methanol and dry wash the rest so that in 2 days from go to woa I have usable Biodiesel...
    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
    Canberra

I Water washed because of the strong Methanol Smell in the reacted mix. The book and all my self taught efforts guided me that way. I just aquired a 1981 MB 300SD Turbo Diesel clunker that will be the test vehicle before the 2006 F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel truck gets a shot of the home made brew. I have a Fuel Miester set up and it is equipped to water wash. There are many variables that I guess can make this step needed or not. I will try to post as I advance.