Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fourm is back after being hacked by Syrian "Hactivists"

Fourm is back after being hacked by Syrian "Hactivists"

Not sure if many of you saw over the weekend, but the forum was displaying political messages from a Syrian hacking party wanting to spread word of their cause. Sadly they thought that this website would be one of their targets (they've got loads of other sites hacked too - they've been very busy).

The hack was very sophisticated and took advantage of the fact that I had not patched a particular exploit that I didn't think was urgent. (It was and they exploited it!)

It has taken many hours to unpick and clean everything up but I don't think any data has been lost. The main aim of this hack was to spread propaganda, so I'm not really worried about password, email and personal details theft. Nonetheless, I have taken precautions to change all of the passwords used for this site. I would suggest that it is good practise for everybody to make sure that they change their passwords for this site NOW. Also, if you use the same password and username for other sites, then you should change it there too (a word of advice: never use the same passwords on multiple sites, one of them may be hacked one day).

Sorry about the site downtime today, but I have taken my time before bringing the forum back online following removal of the hacks as I wanted to be as sure as I can be that it won't be re-hacked.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Re: Fourm is back after being hacked by Syrian "Hactivists"

Many things in here have been manually repaired, reinstalled etc. There were some people who had problems with the "new posts" link previously. I have tested this and not found any problems, but interested to hear of any other strange happenings.
    Last edited by Robert; 16th September 2013 at 12:14 AM.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

I have never seen a site with so many problems as this one.... despite how reliable it's said to be.
    I was wondering if the hack may be the end of it. If they were able to get into it to the extent they did, they could have also wiped the lot.
    You just never know what's going to happen next here!

I take my hat off to you for fixing it so quickly mate. I am sure that was a weekend lost!

To be honest I was worried that it spelt the end for the website. Congratulations and thankyou.
    Regards,

Cade.

2002 100 series Landcruiser
    240,000 Km and counting on B100, 330,000km total on car.
    Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.

Quote Originally Posted by Captaincademan View Post
    I take my hat off to you for fixing it so quickly mate. I am sure that was a weekend lost!

To be honest I was worried that it spelt the end for the website. Congratulations and thankyou.
    Hats off to you Robert - it is thankless task when you have to recover from something like that and so very frustrating when you have to work through and try to work out how they got in and then close it down.

Craig
    Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
    210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
    Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Quote Originally Posted by peter1 View Post
    I have never seen a site with so many problems as this one.... despite how reliable it's said to be.
    I was wondering if the hack may be the end of it. If they were able to get into it to the extent they did, they could have also wiped the lot.
    You just never know what's going to happen next here!
    And you do not miss a opportunity to mention it, just accept it or leave it be

Thanks Rob for your work!
    1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)
    1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HZ engine both 75l factory tanks and a custom 170l under tray tank.
    200.000km 80% on bio 10% on WVO 10% on dino,

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

as Rob has mentioned a few sites have been hacked and shutdown this last week, 2 of which I visit this one and the arboriste site, you think they would have better, more constructive things to do rather than this kind of vandalism. Top job getting up and running thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueff View Post
    And you do not miss a opportunity to mention it, just accept it or leave it be

Thanks Rob for your work!
    I second that, how about a positive comment for once Dave, I mean Peter1.
    Good work Rob ,thank you.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

I missed all the excitement!
    Never mind, our reliable forum owner has plugged the holes and pumped the bilge so that we may now continue our voyage.

Thanks Robert.

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Robert Thank you for your time, patience and knowledge on getting the forum back on line. It is very much appreciated. Thank you again. Cheers Brenden
    2003 3.2 DiD Pajero Exceed
    2003 2.8 td Triton Ute
    2005 1.9 tdi pump deuce Golf