Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Joined the Musso club

Re: Joined the Musso club

I have been using this $ 2.99 Super Cheap inline filter since I started using biodiesel.
    I used to have to change them every month or two because they became clogged.
    Now that I have stopped water washing, they last virtually forever.

They do dis-colour fairly quickly

Errr, so what were you washing IN to your bio?
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

That is the mystery of our faith.

Perhaps it had more to do with what was not coming out of the biodiesel.

Hmmm, is it possible that methanol helps to dissolve something that could otherwise block the filter?
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    Hmmm, is it possible that methanol helps to dissolve something that could otherwise block the filter?
    That is the mystery of our faith!

Quote Originally Posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
    I have been using this $ 2.99 Super Cheap inline filter since I started using biodiesel.
    I used to have to change them every month or two because they became clogged.
    Now that I have stopped water washing, they last virtually forever.

They do dis-colour fairly quickly
    I think they would be fine with Bio and on a lower powered/ smaller engines. I used them on my mercs and my NA patrol and they were OK ( not great but useable for the price).
    On the 4.2 Turbo which I have turned up a bit and running on straight WVO, they just don't seem to have the flow when you put your foot down. Running round town they were OK but out on the highway when you have the thing loaded and running at the limit up a hill, they couldn't keep up with demand.

I'm sure for a lot of vehicles though that are less thirtsty that the 14.5L 100 I often get on highway runs or running thinner bio they would be adequate.

They also discoloured pretty quick for me, even when using them with petrol on the mower and a stationary engine. Not sure why.

If you are looking for a cheap pre-filter for your vehicle, the one that Mercedes specify for the 300D is excellent.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prefilter1.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	2127
    The last one I bought (about 3 years ago) cost around $5. I have had them block up with debris from the tank, but swap them out for a clean one and then later, I wash the blocked filter with a weak caustic solution and it is as good as new again.
    I use the "wing nut" style hose clamps so I can do a pre-filter change without needing tools.
    I keep one in a zip lock bag and if I need to use it, the blocked one goes back into the bag to keep the oil off the upholstery or boot carpet.

They are a mesh style filter and if your fuel is filtered before going into the tank, only the crud from the tank will end up in the filter.

I hope this helps,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

I haven't found any of those filters yet touch wood haven't had any issues.
    Went for a holiday a week ago and did 2000 km's so am really happy.
    Took some fuel with us from the shed but did have to buy about 100 dollars worth of diesel for running around. Was very happy with how the car ran.

I replaced the two front shocks the week before we left and made sure we had enough filtered oil and bio on the ready.
    Next project is an engine mount. Hopefully wont be an all dsy event.

Till next time
    Michael
    97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
    2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
    2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
    2015 NP300 Navara

Stainless processor with blue water pump.

I have joined the Musso Club now too.
    I purchased a 2006 Musso and after replacing all 5 GPs it is driveable. As you can expect with a car that had all GPs failed, I am certain that maintenance has been negligible. I have replaced the engine oil and filter, thermostat (opened too early and heater was not effective).

The Musso horn was not working. I had a quick look and found that the horn was disconnected. "Easy Fix" I thought. Wrong! I connected the wire and the horn sounded continuously. I disconnected it promptly.
    I removed the horn fuse in the engine bay fuse box, then reconnected the horn.
    I disconnected the connector from the steering column to the wiring harness in the car and replaced the fuse - all quiet.
    I removed the airbag and disconnected the horn connector, then reconnected the harness connector from the steering column. The horn sounded continuously.

I believe that the "clock spring" wiring module which allows the horn and air bag wiring to operate (lock to lock) is faulty.
    Has anyone replaced theirs at all? Any tips to make the job easier?
    What is the tension for the steering wheel bolt (nut?)?

I have a transmission filter and gasket along with 12 Litres of the correct ATF. This will be next week's job.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Hi Tony,

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post

I believe that the "clock spring" wiring module which allows the horn and air bag wiring to operate (lock to lock) is faulty.
    Has anyone replaced theirs at all? Any tips to make the job easier?
    What is the tension for the steering wheel bolt (nut?)?
    The electrical system on the musso is a major cause of annoying problems. However I have not heard of your problem before.
    Fortunately the Automatic transmission and engine are top quality products and should give long trouble free service

Be aware that on the Musso turning on an electrical switch often applies earth/ground to the circuit rather than the more conventional applying battery B+.