Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Joined the Musso club

Re: Joined the Musso club

Thanks Tilly.
    I have workshop manuals and parts lists for the car (unfortunately not including the clock spring part number) I have sourced one in WA and we will be in the area on Monday so will get it (and other parts if I see them) while we are there.
    Updates will be posted.
    Oh, I forgot to add that I replaced the Brake fluid last week also. With no service history and obvious lack of maintenance, I want to make sure everything is serviced, so I know when everything is next due.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Another consideration is the serpentine belt along with the idler pulley and tensioner pulley.
    I replaced the original ones just "on spec" about three years ago at over 200000km.
    One of the bearings was a bit noisy but the other one seemed ok. The belt looked OK too but I replaced all of them anyway.

About 5 months ago one of the bearings on the new pulleys (don't remember which one) seized and spun the bearing in the plastic pulley leaving me with a melted out center in the pulley.
    Fortunately it happened 2 blocks from home and so I made it home with the only damage being the destroyed pulley.
    So I replaced both pulleys as well as the serpentine belt again while I had things apart.

Tilly,
    I checked the pulleys and tensioner shock absorber when I was replacing the thermostat, coolant, etc. All were in good order.
    I will include these checks as part of my routine oil & filter changes and maintenance at 7500km intervals.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts