Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spam Tsunami

Re: Spam Tsunami

Thanks Robert.

It really was like a tsunami, with each user banned seemingly replaced by more. One IP had 175 users associated with it!

Tim

It's hard to understand why these spammers go after this site so hard.
    There would be about 3 million ahead of it in the traffic stakes so why go for something that so few people are going to see?
    It would seem that the site name has perhaps got on the spammers hit list. IF that is the case, it could be an ongoing battle with this problem.

Whenever I see this, I wonder what sort of pathetic low lifes spend so much time and effort knowingly doing something they are fully aware people hate and don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by peter1 View Post
    It's hard to understand why these spammers go after this site so hard.
    There would be about 3 million ahead of it in the traffic stakes so why go for something that so few people are going to see?
    It would seem that the site name has perhaps got on the spammers hit list. IF that is the case, it could be an ongoing battle with this problem.

Whenever I see this, I wonder what sort of pathetic low lifes spend so much time and effort knowingly doing something they are fully aware people hate and don't want.
    I agree Peter1. Why do they bother?

It may be that our forum title attracts attention, but I think it's just a reality of what is floating around 'out there' ready to strike when the guard is down. As Robert described above, there was a series of unfortunate events, triggered by the Syrian hack. One thing flowed into another and Robert needed to disentangle some old software that was doing a reasonable job of keeping spammers out. As SOON as this happened, the slime started oozing in. I suspect much of it is automated and they are very clever at building systems to continue to probe sites and vulnerabilities regardless of name, location or history. Pity their skills aren't put to a better use....

Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Well, boys & girls, this has been a fun ride.
    For the moment, I have simply disabled the entire user registration system, so no one new can register here any more - sorry. After I can get everything fixed up, I will turn it back on.
    Has registration been turned back on?
    I got an email yesterday from a person who tried to join but was denied membership.
    I notice on the bottom of the forum it lists our latest member as having joined several weeks ago which suggests that registrations are still turned off.

Hello tillyfromparadise.
    This is my first post.
    I have been attempting to register for the last week or so and I have just now been able to register!

I finally manage to register this morning.
    Let me tell you it has been a marathon!
    Special thanks to Tony and the other moderators for finally getting things sorted out!

The registration process was turned back on about a week ago (1/11). The random questions and picture questions that I've added to the registration process take care of 90% of the automated spammers. However, there are still some real human spammers that do make it through. The 3rd line of defence is automated and includes checks of IP, email address and username with 2 different databases of known reported forum spammers. If a new user tries to register and they happen to use a username that has been used by a spammer in another forum, they will be denied (this happens a few times a year to legit users who happen to have a name that has been used to spam). There are also of course some real people who are not listed in spam databases who make it through and try to post spam. Fortunately, our 4th line of defence, our tireless moderators can tag them as spam which not only cleans up the crap they post, but also reports the email, username and IP to spam databases.
    The user registration system is back online, but I do expect to get a lot less new traffic from searches to this forum for the next month or so as I've had to change the way all the links are done and google will penalise this site in search results until it rebuilds everything again.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.