Thread: 2H or 1HZ ? any big difference?

2H or 1HZ ? any big difference?

Hi guys,

I am seriously thinking of retiring the old Hilux and replace it with a 75 series. As I tried to find info on both engine types mentioned above on this very forum the search reply was "there are to many matches" :-) never had this before anywhere :-)

Back to the point, I have had a look at a 1986 cruiser with a 2H and 220000 km on the clock. Hope thats the first 220000 km's :-)
    and I checked out a 1994 cruiser with a 1HZ and about 295000 on it.

I know the 2H has the inline pump and pushrods where the 1HZ has a rotary pump and a overhead camshaft.

Any thoughts? I will run it on Bio most the time, but will set it up to run veg on holiday trips or going further than 200 km.

Thanks and have a great evening !!!
    1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)
    1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HZ engine both 75l factory tanks and a custom 170l under tray tank.
    200.000km 80% on bio 10% on WVO 10% on dino,

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Re: 2H or 1HZ ? any big difference?

Morning Jens,

happy new new year mate.

The biggest difference is the startling increase in power. The 1hz poops all over the 2h. 1hz is easy to work on, 2h even easier I would say. Both love bio. The 1hz is probably easier to drive in traffic too, given the fact it is a bit more zippier.

Overhead cam = timing belt, which needs a smidge more care of course than the 2h. But no different to any other.

If you turbo the 1hz (given it has been around the block, I would keep the pressures low, say around 7 psi) it will fly. Lots of guys here run 1hz's with hair driers attached. I don't, two reasons - dollars, and longevity. Happy to be a bit slower. If I wanna go fast I hop in the 300c.

Both are rock solid donks that are quite forgiving. I would advocate running a positive pressure fuel system in both, as there are plenty of opportunity for air leaks. I have been driven crazy with these, and both grey hair and I have similar systems and haven't looked back.
    Regards,

Cade.

2002 100 series Landcruiser
    240,000 Km and counting on B100, 330,000km total on car.
    Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.

My thoughts exactly, plus the 1Hz 80 series is constant 4WD = a little better to drive. More reliable and lots of power over the 2H. As commented a low pressure turbo is good. Maintenance is all easily done by you and a friend. All quite easy. 80 series is less likely to rust like the 60 series do (around roof) Only caution will be the fuel; tanks in both with bio but this is manageable plus the 80 series can get larger tanks for long range. 150 litre main and 170 litre sub is biggest availabkle but affects GVM, Also prior to 95 towing weight limit is lower.

Happy to assist.

Matt
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Among other things, Matt's comment on rust is particularly relevant. I believe, but not 100% sure, (is that percent sign fixed btw?) that the 100 series has zinc-alume body panels as opposed to mild steel. Can any body confirm please? I love my cruiser too much to give it to the salt gods of the beach (probably the most sure fire way to tell how good any rust proof system is).

All i I know is grey hair recently transitioned from a 2h to a 1hz and can't believe the difference. Probably had something to do with 20 years of improvements too......
    Regards,

Cade.

2002 100 series Landcruiser
    240,000 Km and counting on B100, 330,000km total on car.
    Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.

Thanks Guys, as usual I appreciate your input, I will have a look at this unit tomorrow

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wheel...ute/1033731830

and we'll see, I am not in a great rush, but the Hilux definitely has seen bester days :-) specially the long trip to Melbourne made him a bit shaky again.

Happy new year boys, looking forward to catch up with you guys in Brisvegas next year, until then keep the beers cool and have a great NYE party.

Cade I love hove you talked about the rust on the body of the cruiser and then asked "any body" to confirm that please, classic
    1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)
    1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HZ engine both 75l factory tanks and a custom 170l under tray tank.

Bueff, run a 75 2h ute for over 20 years, over 10 on bio no trouble but 75 s usually need gear box over haul around 220,000. Inline pump as solid as but not a high speed power. 2h motor based on a chev block mine never burnt oil and never let me down only reason I sold it was seats rough no air and bit slow pulling van plus it had reached the point of needing rubber boots and many minor bits replacing. Figured we had time for one more dog and one more wagon. Plus the windscreen is hard to seal and a water drip on one's foot is very annoying. Only gave it a tappet adjust never touched the injectors in 308000 in all a solid wagon that took us to many far away places with game.

Hi guys, I have purchased the 75 series ute above, it looks in good conditions, I drove it back from VIC last week and was quite surprised to find the fuel consumption was around 11l / 100km. That is empty and sitting on just under 100km/hr. We'll see how he goes loaded and fueled up :-) It has the 1HZ in it and it looks like I can hide a few bodies in the engine bay, not as tight as the old Hilux. Since it has twin tanks I tried a 50/50 WVO/Dino blend in one of the tanks, no issues at all. Next step is putting a new custom tank under the tray and get the veg kit hooked up again. I'll keep you posted

Cheers

Jens

Sounds good. Great to have lots of room under the bonnet.
    Qu, if you have 2 tanks already why do you need another?
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    Sounds good. Great to have lots of room under the bonnet.
    Qu, if you have 2 tanks already why do you need another?
    Hi Johnno, I had a custom tank made up for the Hilux, unfortunately the driveshaft is on a different angle, the handbrake cable is in the road, and chassis rails are spaced different as well. I would have loved to keep the other tank. But as we all now, there is always something we can do to improve the system so I am going to take the advantage of it and make a few changes to the under tray tank design. There will be a heated tank option involved. Currently looking at the best option for that, I am thinking of either sticking a looped pipe in there or use one of these fellows,

http://www.wvodesigns.com/shop/wvo-c...ot-stickb.html

they seem to be quite easy to install.

I need the tray space for my tool box and my camper thats why the tank has to go under the tray.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueff View Post
    Hi Johnno, I had a custom tank made up for the Hilux, unfortunately the driveshaft is on a different angle, the handbrake cable is in the road, and chassis rails are spaced different as well. I would have loved to keep the other tank. But as we all now, there is always something we can do to improve the system so I am going to take the advantage of it and make a few changes to the under tray tank design. There will be a heated tank option involved. Currently looking at the best option for that, I am thinking of either sticking a looped pipe in there or use one of these fellows,

http://www.wvodesigns.com/shop/wvo-c...ot-stickb.html

they seem to be quite easy to install.

I need the tray space for my tool box and my camper thats why the tank has to go under the tray.
    Just rereading my own post, sorry Johnno, I think I missed your point there, the second tank is only 75ltr and sits where the spare tyre supposed to go.
    So we have more reasons for a under tray tank, its bigger ( 160l ) and I get room for the spare under the tray as well.