Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blending ULP/RUG

Blending ULP/RUG

Hi everyone,

just been thinking about the 5-15% ULP that I blend into my wvo. Does blending the ULP help repel water trapped in the wvo?

I suppose thinning the oil would allow the separate/free water particles to settle a bit easier but what about the suspended water? Given that petrol should repel water?

Pity the HPT gives a false negative when blended. Not to mention the possible explosion/fire as the petrol fumes catch Not recommended.

What do you think? Has anyone found any good info on the subject?

God bless, froggo.
    HJ45 Landcruiser Troopy
    Home made 2 tank system
    Blending in main diesel tank
    SVO/WVO Converted 18/01/08
    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/3667-hj45_troopy_conversion.html

Re: Blending ULP/RUG

I gave up blending after seeing some of the results from that mihandra guy, the one with the mad max van from the states, I know hes a bit of a fruit loop but worth digesting.
    I have not had any dark drop out crud in my filters, but i cant say if it was from running oil/ulp or bio/ulp blends.

Quote Originally Posted by gilfish View Post
    I gave up blending after seeing some of the results from that mihandra guy, the one with the mad max van from the states, I know hes a bit of a fruit loop but worth digesting.
    WOW! If you put ANY faith in anything that wack job Jeffery Brooks says, You are a lot more easily led than I am. I don't know how anyone could put any faith in a thing that nut case said. He's certifiable! He believes every Veg forum on the net is part of a conspiracy " To thwart meaningful Dialouge on the blending of WVO and ULP as a fuel" just because they don't do away with their Bio and WVO sections the minute he " enlightens" them. He's accused every forum he's been on ( every one on the net!) of the same thing.
    You are being very generous calling him a fruitloop is all I can say. I think I rather spend the night looked in a room with a serieal murderer than that Phsyco. That guy will make the news one day for all the wrong reasons when he finally snaps.

just been thinking about the 5-15% ULP that I blend into my wvo. Does blending the ULP help repel water trapped in the wvo?
    Why not remove the water before you blend so you don't have to worry about it?
    If You want to know what happens, you could set up a test and put the required amount of ULP in a coke bottle and test it. I never have but I'd pretty much put money on the fact it won't drop the water out.
    The first reason I'd guess this is because as far as I'm aware, ALL fuel these days contains ethanol wether they spec it or not. Some just has more than others. That will help blend the water and the petrol component with the oil. 2ndly, I dont think that 20% or less ULP is enough to cause precititation of the water. When suspended, the water would have to be coalesced in order to become large and heavy enough molecules to sink. I don't see that happening... BUT I could be very wrong.

To me it's easier to start with dry fuel so you don't have to ponder the subject but the best bet if you want to know something is find out the facts by testing it for yourself.

Hi gilfish,
    I just blend the wvo in my two tank system, don't run a single tank blend. I have never had any issues with wvo and ulp 5-15% blend, no drop out either but I suppose it all comes back to how well we settle and filter our wvo.

Thanks peter1,
    I don't have any issues with wet oil I'm just looking at does ULP help repel water in wvo. I have not done the test samples yet but will do and add them to my collection. Just trying to find info on the subject as nobody seems to know much about it.

Thanks again for input and God bless, froggo.
    HJ45 Landcruiser Troopy
    Home made 2 tank system
    Blending in main diesel tank
    SVO/WVO Converted 18/01/08
    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/3667-hj45_troopy_conversion.html

Froggo,
    If you make any discoveries, please share them here. We are all looking for ways to make things simpler/easier.

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Hi All,
    I haven't checked into the forum for some time so thought that I should and expect that what I am about to say may bring down some criticism upon my head but here goes never the less....
    I am a little sceptical of the significance of water in oil, at least as far as my own blending goes over the last six years or so.
    I did bubble dry for the first year or so and did do the occasional HPT but have done no drying since.

Firstly, the only IP failure that I have experienced was on a vehicle run solely on diesel (220000km). The failure was the result of corrosion in the IP. This did me a favour as it gave me the courage to get into WVO since dino had let me down.

Secondly, after some 60000km+ on one vehicle and 85000km on another vehicle (single tank) all on WVO, they are both running as well as ever.

The qualification on what I said is the quality of the oil. I only ever use good oil to start with as I'm lucky enough to be able to collect enough over my needs to be selective with what I blend with and what goes into the gloop drums. Any sign of water whatsoever and it gets dumped. I settle for a long time in IBCs (months at least).

It is interesting that with concerns over possible oxidisation of wvo in storage that I haven't had to do anything to prevent this and the IBC of final filtered oil would have oil remnants in it that are years old. I have cold gravity filtered to 1mic from some years but more recently and especially in winter gone to 5mic.The MB course filter and Fleetguard elements get changed about every 15000km but don't really even need it then.

I'm not saying that water isn't a problem for individuals as a result of the vehicle type, installation setup, oil quality, oil treatment techniques etc, just that it hasn't been a problem for me in my situation (touch wood)!
    Laurie

Laurie,
    Good to hear from you again.
    It is always good to get long term use reports on WVO usage.
    Do you get much water in oil from your suppliers? If you often have water in the oil, then I would be talking with my supplier in an attempt to correct the issue.
    I also do not "dry" my oil, but the oil has been stored inside after coming from the fryer.
    The only time I got water in my oil was when the F&C shop had a leak from the roof, which dripped into the fryer overnight before they changed the oil. They let me know and I simply decanted the oil off the top and discarded the lower layer of oil and water.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Thanks Tony,
    I have to say that after this period of trouble free WVO motoring that i am perfectly relaxed about the whole concept and smile when I think back to my anxiety the first time a mate poured some WVO into my vehicle.
    The oil that I collect is almost always good quality and if it appeasr to contain any water or even a noitceable proportion of solids it goes straight into the gloop drums.
    Laurie

I hope this isnt too far off the subject but 40 odd yrs ago i was a rev head in an MGA . Around this time i had built my own little still and was experimenting making all sorts of things from our fruit trees.
    Anyway i decided to throw a gallon of distilled alcohol into around 1/4 tank of petrol in the MG and take it for a stoke,,,,,, there was a bit more poke, only at v.high revs, then we came to a halt and no restart.
    After a lot of head scratching i realised that my alcohol would have had some water in it and mixes fine with the alcohol, but as soon as petrol was on the scene petol and alcohol were suddenly good friends and water was the odd one out.
    All the water had separated and gone to the bottom of the tank.
    As already advised try some coke bottle mixtures, especially with wet oil.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwill View Post
    After a lot of head scratching i realised that my alcohol would have had some water in it and mixes fine with the alcohol, but as soon as petrol was on the scene petol and alcohol were suddenly good friends and water was the odd one out.
    All the water had separated and gone to the bottom of the tank.
    As already advised try some coke bottle mixtures, especially with wet oil.
    I have done this many times and have proof of a very different result.
    I buy E85 and dilute it 50% with water to seperate the petrol and alcohol so I can run the alky mix in my water injection system. The water and alky STAY in soloution and the petrol floats in a very definable pink layer on the top. I have clear drum sitting outside thats been mixed for a month now and sat undisturbed and there is only 2 layers in it. The water/ alky in a milky looking stage and the petrol.

As the petrol stays on top I can drain the eth and water from the bottom and when I get to the petrol that can either go in my oil to blend it or in the mower. Usually it's the latter because with the pain in the arse ethanol washed out of the petrol, I don't have problems with it absorbing water and upsetting the mixtures that cause running problems in the fixed jet engines. As I only get a little petrol this way, I also water wash the petrol I get for the mower and small engines to remove the alcohol and use the water in the injection system.