Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heating the house with bio

Re: Heating the house with bio

Absolutely correct, old oil contains PCB's, new oil does not but has plenty of other mineral nasties, can find out if you like (work in the industry). Please don't use it like this.
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Your heater sounds great. Very economical too.
    By pressurising the house, you will avoid drafts, as you have found out.
    The heater configuration I have used, uses a blower to provide air to the burner and a low pressure pump to supply fuel. I have a needle valve to control fuel flow rates.
    Now while the blower is a tad noisy, most of the noise comes from the "turbine noise" of the burner in operation. In our home this is not an issue as we do not occupy that area at night when the burner is working. Had it been in our main living area, I would have needed to reconsider the type of burner I used, as the total noise of the blower / burner can be intrusive.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

smithw - does you new diesel heater make much noise?

What are the exhaust fumes like? Any smoke?

I love the idea of plumbing something like this into my existing ducted gas heating system, but living in close quarters to the neighbours here in Sydney, don't want to get them offside…..although I wouldn't mind exacting some revenge on the bloke over the back who runs his wood fire too rich and smokes the whole neighbourhood out. Get some fish n chips into ya!
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)

It makes a little bit of noise, but its not loud. There a rushing air/fan noise inside, and it would be about as load as an air con outside, There is no fumes inside but a little smoke on start up and shut down out the exhaust. So you need to pipe the exhaust well away from the intake or you will get fumes inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Absolutely correct, old oil contains PCB's, new oil does not but has plenty of other mineral nasties, can find out if you like (work in the industry). Please don't use it like this.
    Hey Matt - being in the electricity industry, you might have come across some newer pole-top and padmount transformers that use vege oil for insulation? Distribution network operators sometimes put them in sensitive areas like wetlands, so if it blows up, there are no hydrocarbons to contaminate soil & water. I think they paint the pole-tops green from memory. Anyway, it would be interesting to get hold of some of that oil and see if it is any good for making bio or for WVO. Sorry, probably off the topic..
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)

[QUOTE=3DB;63201]Hey Matt - being in the electricity industry, you might have come across some newer pole-top and padmount transformers that use vege oil for insulation?

Is the oil in a transformer not for cooling ?

Re the topic :
    It is simple to reduce fan noise in air ducting . When I built recording studios , we constructed sound attenuators , called plenums , on the air con ducts.
    Basically a heavy-walled box with internal padded baffles . The air travelled around the baffles , sound was reflected back/absorbed . Very effective.
    Heating ducts may have them built in to cut fan noise . Made from fireproof materials , of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I have located a source of used ATF and can use that instead. Just ask at any Auto Trans shop they have drums of it and they are giving it to me for free.

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

'85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Not taking it offtopic but there are talks of using it, tability issues etc. They use a more friendly mineral oil these days, issues with it eating silver are being found which is not good for the tap changer. I would look hard at ATF as well it is mineral based with additives to, do some googling on that.
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

ATF is mineral based, just like other petroleum products, including engine oil and diesel fuel.
    That does not make it unsafe to use as a fuel. The additives in ATF may cause health issues, but after 1 hour of googling and reading posts about burning ATF, I am yet to find any specifics of what combustion products may be present in the exhaust gases.
    Many people use used engine oil as a fuel supplement. This is reported to be common practice in the heavy haulage industry, where at oil change, the used oil is pumped directly into the fuel tank by the mechanics performing the oil change. Do you have any reports of emissions from burning either of these as a fuel (for heat or in diesel engines)?
    I am sure the links would be appreciated by members of this forum.

Regards,
    Tony

Previous Vehicles:

I just added a thermostat to the heater like this on http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110965336...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    its just a simple mechanical unit and only needs 2 wires to hook it up and the heater works great, it comes off and on by itself now. Its keeping the misses happy, Nothing worse than getting nagged about lighting the fire.....