Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heating the house with bio

Re: Heating the house with bio

Quote Originally Posted by smithw View Post
    I just added a thermostat ....
    That's great, Smithy. The thermostat is a nice touch.

A couple of questions for you:

Have you got it mounted on something fireproof?
    What do you use for ducting of the air outlet and exhaust?
    What would you guess the outlet temperature is?
    What have you used for the 24V power supply? How many amps does it draw?
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)

So it mounted outside on a couple of bracket hanging of the brick wall. I removed a brick and put the duck through the hole and into the dining area. For the exhaust I got some exhaust tube bent and running down the sided of the house I still need it to go up to the roof line as if the wind is blowing the wrong way the smoke from start up can come into the house. Im not sure how hot it is Ill put a thermometer on it and get back to you.
    Well this is the best part... I ordered a 24 volt unit and a 12volt unit turned up, I contacted them and they said they would send out another, which they did.... Well they sent another 12 volt unit... I contacted them again and they said they were out of stock... sorry ...have a refund and keep both units.. best customer service ever!
    I run it from a car battery and a charger and it uses around 30 watts. it has a glow plug so when that is working on start up it would draw a few amps
    Ill have another try at putting photos on tonight.

Ok so I put the thermometer outside it read 5 degrees C The air coming out of the heater is 88 degrees, Which means the air coming into the house is also very dry, great for keeping the house warm and drying clothes, so the misses has put clothes racks everywhere.

Johnno likes this but has some Qs. I may have missed something but why are you heating air from outside which is 5deg when you could heat inside air which may be 18deg? If the reason is your house leaks like a sieve, would it be better to do some weather sealing? Also did they really give you a second $5000 unit for nothing? Want to sell it?
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

First off inflation has realy kicked in because when I bought it 3 weeks ago it was $500. Looks like they are out of stock. You can run it with air been taken from inside, and many people do, but it would mean I would have to knock another hole in the wall and I quite like have fresh air coming in rather than stale wet air been recycled around. SO if you want to buy one alibaba has them at a good price. $184 - $220
    http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?...rspaher+FJ-150
    Last edited by smithw; 3rd June 2015 at 07:00 PM.

Do you reckon you could run it on SVO or at least a blend of bio & SVO. That would be the icing on the the cake.
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)

Hi All
    this thread has been the HOTTEST thing on the forum for ages, (pun intended) hehe. The prices of these things on alibaba seems very cheap. Can anyone advise the success or things to watch out for buying through alibaba?
    At the prices stated I'm tempted to get one just to play with
    Does anyone have any idea on longevity of these if used 12 hr/day for a few winters, and if/when they fail, eg a fire chamber burnout, how big is any resultant fire risk to the building there attached to?
    they just appear so COOL 'm tempted to spend a couple hundred $ to set one up on my patio to try and heat Queensland on a few cents of bio, and then maybe plug one through the wall

Ive brought a couple of items from Alibaba, (laptop parts ) about $1000 worth, they were very good for me, but it was only a couple of transactions. Im thinking about having a go with SVO, Ive just got to tidy up the exhaust and put a better battery charger on it and Ill give it a go.

I recommend that you start with low WVO blends and, depending on your experiences, go from there.

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Smithw, something you may or may not have thought of. How would the heater go with 2 thermostats on it. ! set say 2 degreese higher than the other. First one switches the unit from high to low, and the second turns the unit off on.
    Set the first at say 22 and the second at 24.
    Then as the temperature rises the unit will cycle to low. If the room then starts to cool it will cycle back up to high. If the room still keeps getting hotter on low the unit will switch off.

Just a thought. Same could be done with a dual range thermostat, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Range-Spa...item2ed5838c01