Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Heating the house with bio

Re: Heating the house with bio

HI qwarla The heater i got doesn't have a high or low just off or on, the info on ebay was for an older model which has manual controls you had to push a button to glow etc. this one has an auto glow timer and auto shut down.

Hi smithw, how did your heater go this past winter?
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)

I move house in January, to a 2 acre block with lots of firewood so i didn't use it at all last winter. I did try it on a mix of WVO and 10%petrol and it didn't work very well it would keep shutting down. So before i moved i removed everything and blocked up the holes, im now rent that house out, and i got a good deal on a gas installation
    I think, if i was going to do it again I would go for a demon heater. The are cheaper then a caravan heater and are designed to run on waste motor. A friend of mine has one in his shed and its awesome! They are really free heat as they also do not require any power to run.
    http://demonheater.com.au/

The Demon heater is unflued and should not be used in a non-ventilated space. In WA they are no longer allowed to be used in workshops due to the emissions causing health issues.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Yes I can see how that Demon Heater would generate a bit of carbon monoxide / dioxide / NOx. Not to mention other nasties if you didn't get a good, clean burn on waste motor oil. I wonder if it would be hard to duct the exhaust out? You would probably need something like those small extraction hoods they put on gas storage hot water systems.

Would still be great for outdoor applications though.

On a recent camping trip we had a lot of wet wood and the fire was really struggling...until I doused it with 500 mL of bio from one of my cubies and it was an instant raging inferno. The heat liberated was quite amazing and not as smoky as I expected. Everyone got strangely hungry all of a sudden.
    3DB

here is a link to my veggie oil powered home heating system. In the trial of the burner, I used a 'pot belly' stove. The later video was in our home. The stove was installed when the house was built. It has a wet back to boost the solar hot water system. I added radiators and a circulation pump to heat our home.
    The burner bowl gets red hot. Mild steel disintegrates over ~12 months of use, so I have now installed a stainless steel burner bowl. This is 253MA Stainless, 3mm thick Rated for 1150C, the second highest temperature rated Stainless (353MA is rated at 1175C).
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

'85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

So still going strong this last winter, Tony?

You have a biofuelled hydronic + radiant + hot water system - enviable!
    3DB

Yes, burns a fair bit of WVO - with about 10% misfuel (petrol drained from a diesel tank) to help reignition.
    We used about 800L this year and we were toasty warm.
    We never leave burning when we are away from the house, even for a 10 minute trip to the shops and back. The house warms up rapidly when it is fired up and we normally run it for 6-8 hours a day.
    The oil tank is a bit far from the driveway though and I need to use a drum trolley to bring the 60L drums of WVO to it. I dropped a full drum on my toe in May and the big toe nail is just coming off now - OUCH!!!!

Previous Vehicles: