Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BD use in Common Rail engines

Re: BD use in Common Rail engines

Quote Originally Posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
    Why bother using biodiesel when Alexander Noac of Grease energy has kits and ECU mapping to run CRD engines on straight vegetable oil.
    I suppose the remapping and other mods can be quite expensive. What about re-selling the vehicle to someone who doesn't want to use SVO. Just seems easier to use bio in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    I suppose the remapping and other mods can be quite expensive. What about re-selling the vehicle to someone who doesn't want to use SVO. Just seems easier to use bio in the first place.
    The re-mapping is no more expensive and likely to be less expensive than many of the performance re-mapping done to CRD vehicles. The fueling is optimised for WVO, but the engine will still run well on Diesel. A conversion kit for a diesel vehicle costs about the same as a biodiesel processor. You can add the heat exchanger and any valving as needed yourself and save even more.
    Check out Grease energy to see the prices are 290 € for 2 tank conversion or 650 € for 1 tank system ECU programs. This would not include the reprogramming, but "reading and writing of this file you or your workshop need a proper reading and writing tool (Flashtool)."
    The conversion of a vehicle to use WVO costs the same for a CRD or non-CRD engine. The only difference for a CRD engine is the ability to re-map the EGU for optimal operation on WVO.
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 22nd November 2017 at 12:31 AM. Reason: I had prices reversed for 1 tank and 2 tank
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

I cans see a heap of problems trying to run a common rail on WVO. It all very well to have your ECU programed for it, It doesn't address other issues, such as
    The in tank lift pump will not work with WVO, Trust me Ive tried.
    The fuel filter is 1 micron cold WVO will have a hard time going through that.
    The fuel pressure regulator has an even finer filter on it and was never designed to flow viscous fuels, It will even over pressure the pump on poorly made bio diesel.
    The injectors and high pressure pump are not very robust, even one damaged injector will cause the engine to shut down.
    For the price they are charging I would want the ECU posted to me not just a flash file emailed to me.
    Just my 2 cents,

You have the right to your opinion. I know that Alexander sells kits and ECU updates across the world for cars, heavy vehicles and stationary diesel engines. He wouldn't be so successful if he didn't know what he was doing. He says that the CRD run better on WVO than non CRD engines on WVO.
    I am sure that he would address viscosity issues by heating the WVO, same as you or I would, but he may have other methods. Check if your vehicle is listed. If it is, then he has dealt with issues running it on WVO.
    Obviously, the WVO must be filtered to an appropriate standard and be water free.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts