Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Piston Slap?

Re: Piston Slap?

It recommend a moderately fine mist, but I have, at times, been very generous with the amount of water being drawn in (large droplets) and it did not even skip a beat.
    I try to err on the side of caution and keep it to a mist, rather than large droplets.
    Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Do be aware that once you start spraying water into the intake of a diesel engine there is the possibility of Hydrolock
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolock

Welcome back Tilly,
    Yes, that is why I recommended a fast idle (>1000rpm) and a mist of water sprayed across the inlet.
    It would be tempting fate to allow too much water into the inlet manifold.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Hi All,
    Just and update...
    In the interim I've been adding a little turps with a splash of kero and also the odd couple of litres of ULP to each tank.
    The noise at cold startup is much reduced so I think its quite likely associated with gumming of the injectors.
    Will keep adding the solvents.
    Laurie

Hi All,
    Its been a while so thought I would offer a further update on the injector nailing.
    I've continued with the occasional 500mls of turps into a full tank of fuel and the occasional couple of litres of ULP.
    There is now barely any noise at all on start up.
    One associated matter is that a couple of months ago I kept blowing an injector return line.
    Eventually worked out that the return fuel line to the tank was restricted so cleared it with compressed air.
    I'm certain that this in itself made a big improvement to the symptoms. I was told a while back that injector nailing can well be a result of overfuelling and
    so am thinking that the restricted return line was forcing too much fuel into the injectors at startup while the fuel is more viscous?
    I have been anticipating that the use of the solvents in the fuel would begin to cause filter issues but have seen none of that yet and only change them at around 15K.
    The Musso continues to run better than ever. Have clocked around 150K (of 200K on the clock) on blended WVO now. The vehicle has well and truly paid for itself and more.
    All the best for the Season.
    Laurie
    Last edited by Lozzer; 14th December 2016 at 06:27 PM.