Thread: Red gunk in filter

Red gunk in filter

I have been using sov for over 10 years no trouble till recently now getting red gunk in my filter can any tell me what this is please

thank you den

hj 60 400000 on sov

Re: Red gunk in filter

Den,
    It is likely that this is polymerised oil. The oil reacts with oxygen to polymerise. Heat and the presence of metals may accelerate this polymerisation. It may take on a colour depending on the metal (eg Iron in your case may be the cause of the reddish colour).

I am pretty sure that this is the case here.
    If it is causing you a problem with rapid filter blocking, then when convenient, pull the fuel tank out and have it cleaned to remove any build-up in the tank, rinsed out, then dried before reinstalling it. This should give you a few more years before it becomes an issue again.

Others may have other suggestions on how to deal with this issue.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Thank you tony i was thinking the same butt hoping not to pull the tank

If you have an access point on the top of the tank and a drain on the bottom, it may be possible to clean the tank with a pressure sprayer.

I would prefer to remove the tank unless you have good access to the inside of it, especially to remove the cr@p which you dislodge.

An alternative is to install a large prefilter to take out most of the cr@p before the main filter, or simply change the main filter more often.

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

The access point is to small on tank to clean in house butt i have installed a cav filer before main filter might take tank out one day

den

Late reply but same happened to my hzj79r. I was pulling out of a paddock and the motor just plain stopped.
    I was on straight diesel back then.
    New filters and didn't happen again.
    I put it down to a load of part bio/dino fuel from United Cowra
    My w124 on straight wvo has developed a brown skin/film on the neck of the fill pipe
    I'll need to pull the tank as Tony suggests and may try cleaning with industrial strength BBQ cleaner
    Cheers
    Last edited by farmerpete; 18th April 2017 at 10:28 AM. Reason: more info

Cool Re: Red gunk in filter

Quote Originally Posted by farmerpete View Post
    Late reply but same happened to my hzj79r. I was pulling out of a paddock and the motor just plain stopped.
    I was on straight diesel back then.
    New filters and didn't happen again.
    I put it down to a load of part bio/dino fuel from United Cowra
    My w124 on straight wvo has developed a brown skin/film on the neck of the fill pipe
    I'll need to pull the tank as Tony suggests and may try cleaning with industrial strength BBQ cleaner
    Cheers
    farmerpete please let me know how bbq cleaner works please
    ps hope it works

den

Try methanol or turps on the red gunk and see if it has the same effect that it did removing my "tarry substance" coming from biodiesel
    3DB
    1995 Isuzu Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - 45,000km & 3.5 years on B100
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - 3,000 km on B100, 280,000 Km on the clock, but probably more like 1,280,000
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)