Thread: What's in a name?

What's in a name?

Has anyone else noticed that certain types of oil seem to be popular yet others are not but are sold anyway, possibly because they are cheap. Popular types with the name proudly displayed on the container include Canola, Olive, Cottonseed, Sunflower, Ricebran, Safflower. Most of the places I pick up from use Soy, yet it is never written on the tin in big letters. The label may say Vegetable oil in large letters and in the fine print it says 'may contain soybean oil'. Also Palm oil never ever appears on a tin yet I'm sure it is still sold. One brand ETA ever fry makes no mention of any oil type. I enquirer with the manufacture Goodman Fielder as to what it is but in an email they told me it is vegetable oil. Phoning their office their 'technical' person didn't know, but promised to get back to me, he didn't.
    So can any one shed any light on this? It seems soy is a dirty word but must be cheaper than all the rest as it is so popular.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

Re: What's in a name?

Soy or Palm?
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

So no one knows any more than 3 years ago, and the Veg oil industry are keeping quiet.
    Something I noticed a couple of days ago, I picked up a few tins of oil in ETA-everfry branded tins. (I am presuming that's what was in the tins) It was very thick and viscous at 16deg yet a new tin with a small amount of new oil in it was runny liquid and clear. Still no clearer on what the bloody stuff is.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

Hi Johnojack,
    I imagine the composition of the ETA everfry oil mixture changes from day to day or week to week depends on which vegetable oil is a glut on the market and costs the lest.
    I suspect that if they were currently blending this oil in Australia it would contain a large amount of cottonseed because at the moment there is a HUGE cotton harvest in progress.

Tilly the Eta ever fry tins have on them - lasts for frying 2 and a half times Canola oil or something like that, too wet to go and look at the moment. Strange claim to make yet still not say what it is. Another mob Riverina oils say: often made using Australian Canola oil, yet in small print says ' contains soybean oil'.
    Are they still harvesting cotton? Raining like crazy here. We hope to go up the Birdsville Track in 3 weeks.
    Johnnojack

Hi Johnojack,

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    Tilly the Eta ever fry tins have on them - lasts for frying 2 and a half times Canola oil or something like that, too wet to go and look at the moment. Strange claim to make yet still not say what it is.
    Of course what they print on the side of the oil drums is meaningless CRAP.
    ETA Sal~Fry Blended Vegetable Oil
    claims "delivers two times the fry life of standard Canola Oil." Just meaningless crapola.

Are they still harvesting cotton?
    The harvest seems to be about finished but the backlog of cotton outside the Gin waiting for processing is HUGE. It will take months to work through it
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 21st June 2016 at 09:33 PM.