Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SVO powered Terrano died need help

SVO powered Terrano died need help

Hi I have an old and up til now faithful d21 Nissan Terrano that I have happily run on SVO for nearly 8 years. Apsrt from blocked filters its never had a problem.......till now. Was driving it with regular oil on board and the power just died away....thought ok new filter. Fitted it ran it for 2 or 3 k's all good went home next day no start. Cracked open the injectors at the head and no oil is getting thru. Primed it up nice and hard cranked it and no joy. Starting to think injector pump finally died???? Now Im pretty handy with the tools but Im no injector pump expert, so Im hoping for some inspiration before I decide to write the old beast off and start looking for a new old car to run into the ground. What I have done is follow the fuel line to the top of the injector and crack the banjo fitting that delivers diesel/oil into the pump ...all wet if I use the primer pump on top of the filter I get fuel coming out of the banjo, so it getting to the pump. Its a zexel copy of a Bosche so its pretty tuff. On the other side of the pump are the four fuel lines that go to the injectors, I have disconnected them and used the filter primer pump again no fuel comes out of the injector pump at all......dry as a bone. Thought about oil gumming up the insides but its never happened before. So fuel is arriving at the pump but not exiting it ........ any advice? Its an old girl but its never been a drama and its done a lot of trips and I must admit to feeling a bit low at the thought of its demise......any help or opinions would be gratefully recieved. cheers

Re: SVO powered Terrano died need help

Disconnect the injector lines from the IP. Crank the engine. Does fuel come out of the open ports of the IP? If not, you may need to get another IP.
    How many Ks on the clock? How many Ks on veggie?
    Condolences,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol)
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe.(body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car) [sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Yes done that cranked it with input line attatched and the four pipes that lead to the injectors no joy.... car around 250000 ......... on vege no idea just last 6 or more years.
    thanks for codolences......its a bit sad
    Last edited by artrix; 3rd August 2016 at 12:36 AM.

not sure if it's fuel cut off valve is electrically driven or mechanical, but it might be worth checking? If the valve is stuck shut, would that not also stop fuel delivery to the fuel lines?
    Regards,

Cade.

2001 100 series Landcruiser
    190,000 Km and counting on B100, 280,000km total on car.
    Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.

Cade,
    I didn't consider the Shut off valve. On a Terrano, I think is is electrically operated.

Artrix,
    You could try removing and checking the operation of the solenoid to ensure it moves freely when power is applied / removed.
    Might also be worth removing the fuel inlet pipe on the IP, as sometimes they have a small brass filter in there which can block up.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol)
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe.(body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car) [sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Thanks for the idea the filter was removed some time ago......the solenoid you talk about any idea how it is tested?

Under the banjo connector where fuel enters the IP there may be a screen, and also some have a screen around the fuel shut off solenoid.
    Solenoid should just unscrew out of the IP. Apply 12 volts to the wire and the plunger should retract. On some you may even hear it 'click' in like a relay.

Pulled fuel stop solenoid out ran a current thru it and it works fine, checked wire to it and its getting 12volts when key is on start. bugger

Refitted the fuel stop solenoid without the plunger so I could totally discount it. cranked her over no fuel flow out of pump.

Quote Originally Posted by artrix View Post
    Refitted the fuel stop solenoid without the plunger so I could totally discount it. cranked her over no fuel flow out of pump.
    Careful, will be difficult to stop if it does start with no cutoff plunger. Either wait for it to starve of fuel or stop it breathing.
    Regards,

Cade.

2001 100 series Landcruiser
    190,000 Km and counting on B100, 280,000km total on car.
    Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.