Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAV / DELPHI filter installation

CAV / DELPHI filter installation

Hi All,

just thought I would share this. A while back someone asked why I reverse the fuel flow in my cav filter. My reasons were based on giving the contaminants and crap time to settle before going through the filter, thereby extending the life of the filter.

Today I found a new and compelling reason to continue this arrangement.

I use Sakura filters off ebay for about $6 each.

When I changed the filter today for my 10,000 service, I noticed the paint on the bottom of filter where it is immersed in bio was completely buggered and peeling off. if I had been running it in the correct fashion, this would have been free to go straight through into the gauze screen inside the fuel pump. Thankfully the top part of the filter where the fuel exits the filter is not painted, and is just just bare metal.

My recommendation is for anyone running bio and cav filters, reverse the fuel flow direction. simple but effective protection from just another potential pain in the arse problem with fuel blockages.
    Regards,

Cade.

2006 Landcruiser HDJ100 (1HD-FTE) 20,000 on bio
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), 10,000 on bio
    2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)

Re: CAV / DELPHI filter installation

Quote Originally Posted by Captaincademan View Post
    Hi All,
    My recommendation is for anyone running bio and cav filters, reverse the fuel flow direction. simple but effective protection from just another potential pain in the arse problem with fuel blockages.
    No I can't do that. Mine has the plunger primer built in. It won't let me.

So which way is the fuel flowing if the filter is fitted ' as recommended' does it go from outside to inside like other filters? So dirt is on the outside?
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    So which way is the fuel flowing if the filter is fitted ' as recommended' does it go from outside to inside like other filters? So dirt is on the outside?
    Well I suggest you run it so the fuel goes 'bottom to top' through the filter medium. The bottom is painted, the top is raw metal. The arrows on the manifold suggest the fuel should flow the other way.
    Regards,

Cade.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    My comment removed as it is incorrect - don't want to muddy the waters and confuse anyone!

the
    Last edited by 83Patrol; 5th October 2016 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Changed link to display the linked image
    1987 Mercedes W124 300D
    1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

the drawing you have is not correct for the sakura / baldwin filters. They have several holes at the top and the bottom. regardless of whether the fuel flows through the bottom into the filter or through a porous membrane in the pipe up the guts, the effect is the same. I havent cut one open to check whether the holes at the bottom are to let water out or for fuel movement, but it makes no difference. if the filter is used in the intended fashion, clean fuel exists in the bowl and is ultimately drawn up into the fuel lines on the way to the pump, taking the loosened paint with it. reverse the fuel flow and the worst thats going to happen is the loosened paint blocks the filter.

I tried to upload a photo of the baldwin filter which is exactly the same, but I get an error message about incorrect file type or something such as.

The filter is a FC1702 by sakura, or the baldwin BF825. there are other variants by other brands which are all very similar.
    Regards,

Cade.

Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 5th October 2016 at 08:57 AM.

Tony,

thanks for the help with the photos. How did you do that?

Dealing in pedantic semantics here, (but hey there isnt much else to do) but the drawing still isn't right either. My filter setup is exactly like the photo on the left. The sketch is not a cav filter like I am using. that looks more a golden rod kind of filter housing, where the whole filter is encased in housing.

I think you lot are taking the piss out of me here, as I am sure you have all had lots do with such a common and old-school filter!
    Regards,

Cade.

Quote Originally Posted by Captaincademan View Post

the drawing you have is not correct for the sakura / baldwin filters
    Yes, I think that I was thinking of the way a goldenrod filter works... is the one you're talking about more like this?

Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 5th October 2016 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Used [img] tags to show image
    1987 Mercedes W124 300D
    1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Thats it mate, bang on. perfect explanation. so you can see how the paint layer on the bottom of the filter would go straight off to the pump. reversing fuel flow solves 2 issues at once.

thanks for finding the image.
    Regards,

Cade.