Thread: Gear pumps - Which one?

Gear pumps - Which one?

I am looking for a gear pump to transfer oil and biodiesel in my fuel processing area.
    It should be 240V operated and have an over-pressure bypass to prevent hose damage if dead headed.

I saw this one on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Heavy-Dut...wAAOSwr7ZW3sr2

Does anyone have any experience with this pump?

Any other pump that you would recommend?

My existing fuel transfer pump sucked up some byproduct and now it does not pump anything. The vanes are damaged. Is there a supplier of replacement parts for these? Unfortunately, I do not have the ebay item as it was purchased about 5 years ago.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Re: Gear pumps - Which one?

That one looks like the pump is made of plastic or poly. I'd be looking for a brass pump myself. Is it even an actual gear pump?
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

I might be wrong here, but looking at the photo up close it shows the typical 'dimples' of a cast housing to the pump section.

but by the location of the input port, I would think it was a vane pump rather than a gear pump, as in my experience gear pumps have their input and output ports located centrally on the housing as they feed straight onto the face of the gears where they mesh so the fluid is shared evenly across both gears.

on the other hand it might just have some funky internal gallery.

I use a brass gear pump with hemp seals. dead simple and nothing to go wrong. powered by an old washing machine motor via pulley and belt. The one pump pushes everything for me, oil into mixer, and fuel out of mixer into storage tanks. if the mixer stirrer fails on me for whatever reason, I can just flick some valves and mix the brew with the gear pump just like the other guys here. best of both worlds. pumps 200 Litres in just a few minutes.

go the old school brass gear pump every day.
    Regards,

Cade.

2002 100 series Landcruiser
    240,000 Km and counting on B100, 330,000km total on car.
    Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.

That was what I was looking for, but hard to find.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 All body panels, headlights, interior engine and ECU available.

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts