Thread: Biodiesel in Hilux 5L-E engine

Biodiesel in Hilux 5L-E engine

Hi guys,

I've read about quite a few people successfully converting there Hilux 2L and 3L engines to run biodiesel. I was curious if anyone has had similar success with a Hilux 5L engine, specifically the electronically fuel injected variant the '5L-E'. Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Biodiesel in Hilux 5L-E engine

Hi mread1, welcome to the exciting world of biodiesel!
    The good thing about biodiesel is that you do not have to do any conversions to your engine to use biodiesel.
    Just pour it in and drive happily into the sunset!
    However, for various reasons, some engines might not be work so well with biodiesel.
    I am afraid I can not help you concerning the engine you have.

But I am sure someone will have an answer.

Hi
    I have a friend with that same model hilux and its been running for around 6 years without a problem, I would advise anyone running biodiesel it to change the seal on the front of the pump to a viton seal, when you do the cam belt. He just did his cam belt last year and the seal had turned to mush, all my vechlies did the same thing after running on Bio for a couple of years.

Thanks Tilly.

Yes, I am eager to properly get into this stuff! From what I've read so far, I've gained a lot of confidence in biodiesel.
    As my car is an '03 I think the fuel lines and injector pump seals should be fine.
    My major concern is that the different fuel qualities such as viscosity, density and ignition rate, might confuse my ECU and EFI system.
    However, I imagine many other biodiesel users have far newer cars than mine with more complex computer systems??

Hi,

On the the note of the seals being OK because its a 2003 model, dont rely on that. my little mazda B2500 2005 model had a runaway (I controlled it and saved the donk ok - becoming a dab hand at that) due to failed front seal. it only took 12 months on bio. I didnt change it out because my reasoning was the same as yours. It had me scratching my head for a while as to why it wasn't Viton, but then I realised that the parts manufacturers would get well ahead of demand with their production and it might take years to sell thier stock down as many seals are the same across different makes and models. Apparently the replacement seal matched a holden rodeo.

bottom line - take Smithies advice and change the seal ahead of time.
    Regards,

Cade.

2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), just purchased