Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine fuelling issues

Re: Engine fuelling issues

The primer pumps have 2 flap valves. Unfortunately one is inside the pumping chamber and can only be accessed by cutting the thing apart. This means you have great difficulty cleaning the bloody things, not to mention biodiesel destroys the diaphragms. I cut mine apart years ago and I use engine vacuum to prime my fuel system which takes about 2 seconds. I can also see just by lifting the bonnet and looking at the clear top on my ex primer pump if there is air in the system. What dissolves the brown gunk?? Good question, petrol, time and elbow grease. You are simply delaying taking it apart methinks. A formidable task the first time you do it but not impossible.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

The ute seems to be running well now after about 60 or so km yesterday.

I replaced the filter just in case, Tony. And I'll try running 5% ULP for a bit - at least for my trip next week.

Ocsum - unfortunately I need some sort of ad-on pump as my hand primer no longer works after removing the non-return flap due to it being gummed up. It is useless as a primer now, but hopefully will still catch sediment and water. I have heard of using ATF before on the Merc forum now that you mention it. I will also give that a go if I get the trouble again - thanks for the tip.

JJ - I'm intrigued about your water trap - got any photos? Also, how does your vacuum bleed system work? This would be very handy to most of us if caught short with other methods not available as I was the other day. Regarding pulling the IP and cleaning - how many times have you had to do this on your Jackaroo so far? Over how many years? Would you sat that the level of gum build-up is a factor more of time with SVO / bio in the system or volume that has gone through it (proportional to km travelled)? Or both? In my case, 4 years, but only 45-odd thousand km. Is it something you might have to do every 4 - 5 years or so?

Would it be fair to say that the newer rotary-style IP's might require more frequent maintenance when used with biofuel use than an inline IP out of, say, a Mercedes or older Nissan SD33 from a Patrol?
    Last edited by 3DB; 12th February 2017 at 01:07 PM.
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)

DB will try to post photo, need to type in link so hope I get it right. If you carefully cut away the crimped on steel top of the primer pump by going around it with a mini hacksaw you will be left with the aluminium casting with an open top and a nice wide flange. The flange is where you can seal on a clear lid. Also when you cut open the primer pump you will find the second flap valve and probably a lot of hidden gunk. I use 10mm thick acrylic for the new top as you can tap threads into it, screw it down with some force and it won't distort. I tap in a brake bleeder to vacuum the air out with. You will also need to drill and tap3/16th inch holes in the top of the filter to hold down the top. Cut some bolts to the right length and find some seals for the top of them. Hope this makes sense. The photo is an old one, things have changed under my bonnet since but still have one of the filters shown.

http://www.farm4.static.flickr.com/3...92a1c79e_b.jpg
    Last edited by Johnnojack; 12th February 2017 at 10:28 PM.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation

Can't get photo link to work, maybe when I hook up iPad to PC
    If someone else can post photos for me I can take some proper ones tomorrow and email to them
    Johnnojack

Here are some photos

Cut around carefully

Dip tube so first bubble doesn't stop engine

two ways to cap off deleted primer pump

The clear irrigation filter used to catch fuel before it goes into vacuum pump/ reservoir or engine.

12volt vacuum switch, used with press button switch under bonnet to control vacuum

overall view, from top left, water trap, diesel filter, vege filter wrapped with heater hose, yellow tap to isolate vacuum. Small clear hose to bleed HEx (under foil) clear filter/catchcan bleed tube from vege filter, bottom right push button switches to operate the 3 vacuum switches not in picture .
    Last edited by Johnnojack; 15th February 2017 at 01:22 PM. Reason: added text
    Johnnojack

Looking good. Great Idea !
    I never thought about using the stored vacuum from when the engine was last run. I have a vacuum reservoir in the 300CD, so that could be used. I also have a manual priming pump on the side of the IP, so it is not needed.
    I will keep this in mind for future conversions.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Well I'm back from my 2,000 km round trip and the ute didn't miss a beat....TFFT.

I feel that the problem was most likely the failure of the old Facet pump. Even though it was only ever used for priming, I guess the bio got to the innards and damaged something the so that the IP couldn't suck fuel through it intermittently. I will pull it apart and have a look one of these days.

When I did my acetone wash with the Facet, it appears to have been the straw that broke the camel's back, causing it to totally fail. Or it may have been about to fail completely anyway.

I also ran 5% ULP in the bio for the whole trip as an added solvent. It could be placebo, but I thought it ran 'better' with a bit of ULP. Seemed like it had more power, maybe EGTs a little cooler? Certainly the fuel economy was good an I pushed it as far as I ever have on a full tank (55L) - 490 km without running out (fuel light came on just off the F3 freeway at 11:00 pm last night after 9 hours with one refuelling stop).

So in summary, the solution (assuming it doesn't reoccur) was one of the following (in order of preference) or a combination of all 3:
    1) replaced failed Facet pump
    2) Acetone wash of IP
    3) 5% ULP added to fuel

Thanks to all for your input. JJ - I will take note of your mods listed above and implement once I have got on top of all the other issues with my Merc!
    Last edited by 3DB; 23rd February 2017 at 03:16 PM.
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)