Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative IP pump priming methods

Re: Alternative IP pump priming methods

3DB - no primer to the filter assembly. just a simple filter housing with glass bowl. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAV-Secondary-Fuel-Filter-Housing-5836B100-/281222386411

reversed flow direction - read thread here

as the system is under slight positive pressure, there is no air leaks at all.

I check the housing everytime I change a filter for bug or other nasties, and nothing so far.

I buy either baldwin filters or sakura filters as I can get them for $6 each.

it truly is a trouble free system. (touchwood!)
    Regards,

Cade.

2006 Landcruiser HDJ100 (1HD-FTE) 20,000 on bio
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), 10,000 on bio
    2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)

Has anyone seen a CAV filter with plunger-type hand primer (similar to Qwarla's) for sale anywhere locally?

https://www.stardiesel.com/en/comple...6260-b195.html

They don't seem readily available. I guess I can try to get one from that Italian Star Diesel place.

Or do you reckon something like this could work in place of my Facet pump? I still have the air bleed screw on top of my existing water trap.

https://www.stardiesel.com/en/comple...be-m10x10.html

It is fitted with 10mm hose barbs by the looks, but seem like you could easily get some 8mm versions to swap out.

I also briefly considered these boat-style primers. This one is polyurethane - how would it handle bio?

https://www.stardiesel.com/en/rubber...9001-088a.html
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)

I also briefly considered these boat-style primers. This one is polyurethane - how would it handle bio?

https://www.stardiesel.com/en/rubber...9001-088a.html

I had one of the primer bulbs before the fuel pump in my C250 and it worked well. The only trouble with it is that the fuel pump sucks the fuel very well and it collapses the bulb. After a few months, the bulb is flat (actually concave on one side convex on the other) and cannot be used.

In another thread here a member wrote about having to remove the one way valves on their CAV (?) filter to remove a flow restriction.

If choosing one of these, place it in the return line. It will work just as well and not be sucked flat.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    Parts Car C220 1993 SOLD.
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Peugeot comes out of the factory with those fuel priming bulbs, the bio will eventually eat is way through. I replaced mine twice, a both times the bulb failed enough to stop the engine. I would not recommend them for bio, and I replace the bulb with a facet pump I have had no further problems

No easy options eh?

I actually tightened up the hose barbs on my fake Facet and it is working now, so I might have jumped the gun a bit. The last one went for 2 years before it karked it, so may be I should just buy another $17 one and keep it in the vehicle as a spare for when this one lets go.

Not great in terms of resource efficiency / waste.
    Last edited by 3DB; 7th March 2017 at 01:23 PM.
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)

Quote Originally Posted by Captaincademan View Post
    I run a walbro pump on my landcruiser and a cheap-as-chips $20 pump on my mazda B2500. I removed the stock filter system on both cars and replaced it with a Cav style filter assembly with a glass bowl. Since doing so, I have had no filter / air issues at all. combined running distance since the change must be at least 150k. Walbro pump has been there for probably 5 years or more - never touched it. cheap pump on mazda was replaced just a month back, but as it turns out possibly unnecessarily.

Priming is as simple as turning the key to 'on'. I run the pumps on both vehicles off the fuel pump shut off valve circuit.

When changing filters I use a cut down juice bottle to slide under the filter assembly and then simply undo the bolt on top and drop the bowl and filter into the cut down bottle. wash the bowl and replace filter. turn key 'on' wait till the little pump catches up and your done.

very happy with my system. wouldn't change it as its so simple.
    What he said. Ditch the standard filter and replace it with almost any aftermarket system. I personally use a Frantz 1um system. And both the Walbro (FRB51 I think) and facet pumps work well, although I found the Walbro a little noisy