Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Pug

Problem with Pug

I have a problem with my Peugeot 406 that is probably BD induced.

I had been running it for a couple of months on B100 and it was running fine. Then I had to put it into my mechanic for a new radiator and a new AC compressor. Because I told him I was in no hurry, and he was having difficulty sourcing an AC compressor anyway, it was sitting there for about 4 months.

Now that I finally got it back (still sans AC compressor) the poor thing hardly runs. It starts ok and runs fine up until about 2500RPM and then it just starts running rough and blowing smoke out the back, which it never did before.

Any ideas what the problem may be? I have mostly run BD on Toyos, Mitsis and Mercs, so pugs are a bit of a mystery to me. The obvious thing to me is that the injectors are gummed up somehow, and they aren't atomising the fuel properly, hence the power loss and smoke.

Any ideas? Also, if this was the problem, how easy a fix would it be?

TIA

Re: Problem with Pug

The 406 had a few different engines is it the 2.1 with the lucas pump, or the 2.0 HDI or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by smithw View Post
    The 406 had a few different engines is it the 2.1 with the lucas pump, or the 2.0 HDI or something else?
    It's the HDI. The bloke that I sold it to, who apparently knew a lot about them, said the turbo was gone. Makes sense - it ran fine up until the tuurbo came on boost and that's when the problems started. Anyhow it's an SEP now, particularly the cost of parts if he needs them - a full set of injectors for one of these things starts at $1800, whereas a full set for a 1HZ (which of course is 6 not 4) is only around $500. I'll never say Toyota parts are expensive again

I would think it would be more likely that the in tank fuel pump is running low pressure..

Pug HDI and B100, look out. The high pressure pump will be letting go, it has rubber seals and in the 307 at least the fuel filter sealant was going, rubber bleed lines on injectors. At least the in tank pump survived. Not sure if the 406 is much different? It preceeded the 307 by a few years only.

The Lucas pump is another issue, I had one on a 306 but swapped it out when it played up.
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Ive got a 406, but with a lucas pump, it started pissing fuel out everywhere and I thought the pump had let go, turned out to be a small return line attached to the pump near the number 1 injector. Ive run it for about a year on B100 and 10,000km so far so good. Ive been doing a major service on it, cam belt, water pump etc quite a bit better to work on than the 405, as it has more space around the front of the engine.

Good to hear, keep an eye on it, which I am sure you will. my experience was slightly different.
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Just done the service on the pug, and replaced the cam belt, crank oil seal, water pump, tensioners and the front injector pump seal with a viton seal. The injector pump seal had only just started to leak you could seal the bio around the shaft starting to weep out. . Just noticed something this morning, Often the pug would miss fire when first started from cold kind of like a dead glow plug, Today no miss fire. Its possible that injector pump seal has been letting in a bit of air into the system, as the engine runs quieter, and seem to have a bit more go.

It is rewarding when you discover something that needs fixing and fix it without expecting any immediate benefit and consequently a minor issue disappears.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Congratulations on catching that, a big issue coming your way soon otherwise.

I know this from 2 run-aways now, both caused by failed front seals.

out of interest, how was your oil when you dropped it? thin? was there more than you expected?

The mazdarati ute went with no warning at all. I watch my oil like a crazy bloke as I learnt from the first time. the seal just went 'poof'. I checked my oil that morning before going to work (40 mins in traffic) and by half way home that afternoon it had filled the engine block up with fuel and into the tappet cover.

dodged a bullet mate, well done.
    Regards,

Cade.

2002 100 series Landcruiser
    240,000 Km and counting on B100, 330,000km total on car.
    Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.