Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with Pug

Re: Problem with Pug

Injector pump, OK this makes sense, yes the front haft seal is something to look for, make sure its gets a synthetic replacement as this can cause the timing belt to become slippery, bye bye motor. Well done,. Time to replace all seals if they are not either nitrile or synthetic. If they use rubber seals be prepared for this again, I know of it happenig to a fellow bio iser.

Matt
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Captain, on a engine with a belt there is no way for the fuel to get into the oil, but it can get on the belt and break it. so the oil was fine.

Matt I dont know if your post has a typo but you need to replace the seals with Viton not Nitrile.

As far as I know viton is not available, there are synthetic ones which seem good. Happy to be corrected. Nitrile rubber seems to withstand it quite well so I have observed.
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Petroleum products attack natural rubber so seals that might come into contact with fuel will never be made from natural rubber- neither will fuel lines.

Nitrile comes in different formulations. Some formulations stand up to biodiesel, some do not. It is the luck of the draw as to whether the nitrile seal you use is made using a formulation that is impervious to biodiesel or not.

Quote Originally Posted by smithw View Post
    Captain, on a engine with a belt there is no way for the fuel to get into the oil, but it can get on the belt and break it. so the oil was fine.
    Smithw,

maybe the pug has a different setup being an east west motor, but I doubt it. Do you not have a big gear inside your timing case that drives the fuel pump? I'm not talking about your cam belt sprocket, I'm talking about the drive gear which lives inside the rear timing cover) And behind that gear and around the shaft is the front seal? If the front seal fails (you said yours had) where does your fuel go? Well in both the 1hz and WLT motors it goes straight into the sump via the timing case. In both instances my timing belt was high and dry.

I suggest you you revise that statement from an impossibility to a strong likelihood. Yes it might make it all the way out to the front of the timing case, but it's in pressurised by the time it gets there and there's another oil seal in the way. More than likely the timing belt will be dry in all cases. In both the 1hz and WLT motors (north south not east west) the pump drive sprocket drives the cam. There aren't any other sprockets on the belt.
    Regards,

Cade.

2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), just purchased

After I wrote that I had a look on my phone and found that there is indeed a different setup on the pug. It looks like the fuel pump is driven by the timing belt? completely different to larger capacity diesels. SmithW, in your particular instance, you are right, no fuel in your sump. In other cases though where their pump is driven by a timing gear, the danger of a runaway is very real.
    Regards,

Cade.

2002 Landcruiser HZJ105r (1HZ motor) 250,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Mazda B2500 (WLT motor) 80,000 on bio (sold)
    2006 Ford Courier(WLT Motor), just purchased

Ok thanks captain good to know.

Ok the 406 started getting hard to start when cold a bit like a dead glow plug, so i pulled them all out and checked them they were all good. There was a lot of fuel around the injectors and I had noticed that hot bio smell sometimes after the car was parked and a stain on the gravel driveway.
    I found that one of the rubber return lines on the injectors had started to swell, and that was the most likely place for the leak so I replaced all the rubber return (spill) lines, and put it back together thinking it was probably the injector pump causing the hard starting.
    Well it fixed the starting problem, which I was not expecting, I wouldn't think a small leak in the return line would cause a hard start when cold problem, but there you go, something else to look out for.
    My 406 has the last of the mechanical /electronic pumps before they went to HDI, it has the Lucas epic pump.