Thread: FG Wilson 110 KVA Generator

FG Wilson 110 KVA Generator

Hello Everyone,
    My name is Dave and we have a FG Wilson P110E Diesel Gen Set installed as backup power for our business here in Grafton NSW
    We have a few thousand litres of used deep fryer oil on hand to use if we want otherwise it is used in a boiler furnace
    The engine that powers the GenSet is a T6354 Perkins 6cyl turbo. A pretty straight forward engine worldwide
    The fuel pump is a CAV rotary unit
    My contact in the diesel injection world tells me we have to heat the chip oil before we change over to run the genset from diesel and visa versa on shut down which is a universal parameter in the bio diesel world
    He also said we have to add in 1L of super 2 stroke oil per 100L of chip oil to maintain lubricity of the chip oil properties into the fuel system
    We have centrifuge and filtering equipment to produce a clean ready to burn chip oil
    My question is who else has converted a T6354 perkins engine to run on Chip oil and what have been the experiences

Many Thanks
    Regards
    Dave

Re: FG Wilson 110 KVA Generator

Welcome to the Forum Dave,
    While I have no experience with T6354 Perkins 6cyl turbodiesel engines, the CAV injector pump is suitable for used cooking oil, providing the engine is started and stopped on diesel and the oil is heated (to 60 - 80C) during the startup on diesel. Flat plate heat exchangers are suitable for this use, using engine coolant to heat the oil. Separate fuel filters for diesel and vegetable oil are recommended.
    Fuel selection can be done using solenoid valves or electrically actuated ball valves. These are commonly available in 12VDC operated versions. Return lines (if used) should also be switched so that the returning fuel is sent to the fuel tank from which it was drawn.

Most of the advice you have received is correct, but vegetable oil has much higher lubricity (better lubrication) than diesel, so I cannot understand why they recommended adding 2 stroke oil. That said, 1 litre of 2 stroke oil would not cost a lot and if that gives him (you) peace of mind, then do it.

Some people recommend adding a water injection system to help ensure a clean combustion chamber when using vegetable oils. You may wish to research this option. It is said to reduce the temperature of intake air and result in lower Exhaust Gas Temperatures. I do not have water injection on either of my diesel cars. My only experience with seeing the results of water in the combustion chambers was when I cooked the engine on my first car using vegetable oil. The engine had a warped head after overheating (loss of coolant) and I drove it for some months like that. When I took the head off, I found that the piston top and head for that cylinder were immaculately clean. The other cylinders were somewhat blackened (not too bat though).

I hope other forum members are able to assist with pointers for using vegetable oil in your specific engine.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Hello Tony
    Thank You very much for your reply and advise.
    We are interested in operating the genset to power our business using chip oil. We are not utilising the generator enough as it is sitting waiting for a power outage.
    The main criteria of having the genset is minimising business stoppage and lost income from any power outage
    So what I am looking at is utilising the genset a bit more than it just sitting there
    We are costing the chip oil at $0.25C per litre to collect, refine, store and power the genset which equates to around $50.00 per day (18Hr Operational time), this includes start and stop on diesel fuel.
    Our cost for the chip oil is nothing as we have a free source
    Overall the genset should operate a lot cheaper than grid power. If we can keep the chip oil up to it, we will save in the vicinity of 50%+ conservatively
    Its quite exciting to research, plan and hopefully implement our system.
    So Thank You for your advise and reply
    Kind Regards
    Dave

Hi Dave,

Two things to consider,

firstly, if you have employees, make sure they are well fed, cause the smell of fish and chips all day could cause a bit of distraction :-) :-)
    I run a 9kva Able genset on BIO to make my BIO and to top up our off grid battery bank, run the dryer and washing machine on these rainy weeks like we just had. It runs on it with no ill effects at all, done so for the last 2 years.
    Make sure you purge the genset properly, as it is most likely not using fuel like a car when driving. Allow enough time to flush diesel through the system is what I mean. As it uses a more constant flow of fuel you want to time it more than going by the guts. My genset has a timer switch. I press the off button and it still runs for a minute to cool down before it automatically shuts off. If you have the same system I would set it to a minimum of 5 mins depending on how much fuel your system holds, spill rails, filters and so on. Maybe you should consider putting a second filter in with the veg side so you don't have to flush the filter as well.

Have fun!
    1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)
    1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HZ engine both 75l factory tanks and a custom 170l under tray tank.
    200.000km 80% on bio 10% on WVO 10% on dino,

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"