Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: using glycerine in bio gas digester

Re: using glycerine in bio gas digester

gsmiley; As in burning many hydrocarbons, complete combustion produces water and carbon dioxide plus heat (exothermic) ideally. There is a process called pyrolysis where (one example) wood can be heated in the absence of air, that produces methanol (wood alcohol) and other materials. On biodiesel forum Ireland a few years ago someone was doing pyrolysis on glycerol , I think it was. I don't recall what the major products may have been. I don't know what the decomposition products of heating glycerine in the absence of air would be, especially at elevated pressure. A process patent for crude glycerine in the biodiesel industry might be worth something. It might even be considered a trade secret as it's being researched. I don't recall if a try at a catalyst was made in decomposing glycerine into a more valuable chemical on biodiesel forum Ireland. That forum isn't very active now but it's on the internet. After getting the forum on the screen click on biodiesel Ireland or vice versus to get to the threads.

The blowtorch would be worth a try but since in that or a blower type burner the fuel is hot when it exits the nozzle it probably wouldn't be reliable for long unless you were using purified glycerine. Nitric acid is known to oxidize the stuff perfectly but there again you wouldn't want to combine the two unless both were very pure, just in case. Even the best nitroglycerin is highly sensitive and its esterification, like with methoxide is exothermic. I read an article by a safecracker who made his with an ice bath and a little electric mixer, and all done by itself alone out in the middle of an isolated paddock. (The details are critical and omitted here so don't try it.) He would return the next day and collect the stuff sometimes, on other days there would just be a crater where it had stood. The more I think about it sunlight isn't always harvestable as energy and its best to stick with the hand cleaner or composting idea. But I do use it occasionally, well separated - as a really effective degreaser - washes off with water and will not contaminate aquifers like the commercial crap. Note caustic may not treat your non-ferrous metals kindly.
    Last edited by gsmiley; 6th August 2017 at 11:19 AM.

Speaking of nitroglycerine? Years ago my father and I were driving around the Archer City , Texas area, down a county road. Father pointed to a weedy field with two pillars next to the entrance of the field. Father said "that's where the dynamite factory was" the third shift went up. There is nothing there left but part of the entrance gate. I put sulfuric acid into isopropanol to try to make an ester , it got hotter and hotter, Once strong acid is mixed with alcohol you can't separate them. It's an exothermic reaction.