Thread: Cleaning my dishwasher with KOH?

Cleaning my dishwasher with KOH?

Our dishwasher needs a cleanout as it is leaving sediment behind on plates & glasses.

I've seen dedicated products available from the supermarket and think I even used one once and wasn't overly impressed with the results.

What are your thoughts about chucking a 200 gram (or so) scoop of KOH in to an empty dishwasher and running it on a heavy cycle?

Dishwasher powder is mostly NaOH isn't it?
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)

Re: Cleaning my dishwasher with KOH?

I would be seriously concerned about destroying the plastic wheels, grommets, spinning things etc. Caustic soda really turns certain plastics brittle and quickly. Drains which is many times stronger than soap isn't anywhere near as concentrated as straight NAoh.

Personally i wouldnt do it. I would spend 20$ on a couple of bottles of finish cleaner first.
    Regards,

Cade.

2002 100 series Landcruiser
    240,000 Km and counting on B100, 330,000km total on car.
    Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.

Have you tried an empty wash using the your usual dishwasher detergent?
    This should remove all of the crud from the dishwasher. If not, that is your problem, change to a better dishwasher detergent.
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 6th May 2017 at 10:37 PM.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel single tank using 95% used cooking oil and 5% to 10% misfuel (where someone had filled diesel vehicle with petrol).
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. Running on used cooking oil with 5% to 10% misfuel.
    Toyota Camry Hybrid - (Wife's Car)

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup. Died when supercharger stuck at max boost for weeks. Stretched head bolts.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Donor for current Fatmobile coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

I ended up giving all the filters a good scrub then putting about 1/3 a bottle of vinegar in there and running it on a 30 minute cycle.

It definitely looked a lot cleaner and the last load of dishes came out better.

The residue I was getting had some white bits in it that made me think it might have been undissolved NaOH and that was my revised reasoning for the vinegar - to neutralise and dislodge any build-up of caustic deposits over time.

There was some fatty buildup around the filters and that was my original target with the kOH idea, but it all scrubbed off well with a nylon brush.

Seems to have worked ok for now.

Dishwasher is only 12 months old but gets a pretty good (almost daily) workout from 2 kids

Hopefully that keeps it working well for a while now.

I only use Finish powerball tablets - nothing else has worked as well
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)

If it is leaving sediment behind you are probably using too much detergent. Unless everything is very greasy try using 1/2 or even 1/3 as much. Clean filter and use hotter cycle. Make sure spray arms can turn and end jets in arms are clear.
    Edit Ahh good, posted at same time. Yep that gluggy stuff around the filter, just scrub off with very hot water. Sounds like you've fixed it.
    Last edited by Johnnojack; 7th May 2017 at 11:40 PM.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 170,000km on WVO,(2017) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids. Mk. 9 version. Improvements under investigation