Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY swapping altitude compensator for boost compensator Bosch VE

Re: DIY swapping altitude compensator for boost compensator Bosch VE

Hi 3DB,

thanks for a bloody good reply. As you might have noticed from my initial post I am going to do this properly, a complete install from compensator to gauges. I want it to last and work seamlessly.

i have a spare vehicle so I can afford to have the cruiser off the road for a couple of weeks while I do it myself. I am now confident enough to do the compensator myself, it can't be that hard to do with the right parts and lots of care.

Once the gauges are fitted and it as all back together, I think I will just turn the fuel up on low boost to start with to get my 4 or 5 psi at around 2000 rpm then dial up the top end take the max boost to under 9 at say 3200 which is where I normally change up. I am not sure if this will work as planned but I think that's what I would like to achieve.

I have also read that 500 - 600 is a safe max temp too but I thought this was measured post turbo for some reason. I reckon it would be a lot cooler after the turbo due to the energy use to turn the turbine, so it does make sense to measure it pre turbo.

Modern exhaust kits kits come with a threaded point in the dump pipe, so I think I'll just fill that with a bolt. I have never tapped a thread into cast iron, so I will be interested to see how that goes

I expect there will will be losses in the gauges so I need to buy decent gauges that are calibrated well so the numbers are real and not just relative.

Input as as always is greatly appreciated
    Regards,

Cade.

2002 100 series Landcruiser
    240,000 Km and counting on B100, 330,000km total on car.
    Naturally aspirated, Walbro Pusher pump just upstream of tank switch valves, Cav filter with reversed fuel flow direction.
    At 160,000 km Rebuilt pump, Reconditioned head and manifolds, glow plugs. Injectors all good after 160,000 km on B100.

Re: DIY swapping altitude compensator for boost compensator Bosch VE

I tapped my EGT probe port into the cast iron turbo exhaust housing and it wasn't fun. It worked though but only just as the cast kept crumbling. I was too lazy to do it in the manifold and there was a perfect spot where the EGR would go if I had one. My Merc has its probe pre turbo and I feel this makes the most sense as it is the bore you are worried about rather than the turbo. Aluminium pistons expand faster than the steel bore taking the ring space and scoring the bore. As you say, lots of heat loss through the turbo so you are never really sure what combustion temps might be measuring post turbo. I guess if you lagged the exhaust and used a turbo blanket it might be closer?
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016
    (@thirddegreeburns on Instagram)