Hi 3DB,

thanks for a bloody good reply. As you might have noticed from my initial post I am going to do this properly, a complete install from compensator to gauges. I want it to last and work seamlessly.

i have a spare vehicle so I can afford to have the cruiser off the road for a couple of weeks while I do it myself. I am now confident enough to do the compensator myself, it can't be that hard to do with the right parts and lots of care.

Once the gauges are fitted and it as all back together, I think I will just turn the fuel up on low boost to start with to get my 4 or 5 psi at around 2000 rpm then dial up the top end take the max boost to under 9 at say 3200 which is where I normally change up. I am not sure if this will work as planned but I think that's what I would like to achieve.

I have also read that 500 - 600 is a safe max temp too but I thought this was measured post turbo for some reason. I reckon it would be a lot cooler after the turbo due to the energy use to turn the turbine, so it does make sense to measure it pre turbo.

Modern exhaust kits kits come with a threaded point in the dump pipe, so I think I'll just fill that with a bolt. I have never tapped a thread into cast iron, so I will be interested to see how that goes

I expect there will will be losses in the gauges so I need to buy decent gauges that are calibrated well so the numbers are real and not just relative.

Input as as always is greatly appreciated